PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your sand/water table

Beth24
05-17-2012, 01:19 AM
My parents want to get DS a sand/water table for his second birthday. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out which one to get. If you have one could you tell me if you like it and would recommend it? Thank you so much!

new_mom_mry
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
We have the Step2 Play Up Adjustable Sand/Water Table:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00383AEZW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000641DPQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DK2ERHH0901BZCQQ1QP

I can only comment on its utility as a water table. We fill both sides with water...we have a stamped concrete patio and I just don't want to deal with sand everywhere when we can take DS to the neighborhood park in a matter of minutes. It's ok, but looking back, at least for our needs, I should have gotten one that was just a water table. They come with super fun toys, whereas this one only comes with a few boats, some bridges, etc. Of course you can add your own toys (little people characters??). I do like the built-in umbrella feature! I also like the tight-fitting lid.

This one looks more spacious, also a Step2 model:
http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=pd_sbs_t_1

It might be better!! :) Good luck!

Beth24
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
The reason I am driving myself crazy is because I can't figure out if I need a big one because I don't think I am going to use sand. I like this one, http://www.amazon.com/Step2-WaterWheel-Activity-Play-Table/dp/B000641DPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337272856&sr=8-1, but worry it won't be tall enough. And do I need a lid and umbrella? I am really way over analyzing this purchase. I like the one new mommry has for the adjustable legs, cover and umbrella. But I can't tell if it has a big enough space for water play.

candaceb
05-17-2012, 01:24 PM
We have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Spiralin-Seas-Waterpark/dp/B004INDQWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1337275040&sr=1-1

It's about the same size as the one you linked. When we got it, it was less than $40 - I think Amazon must be out of it right now and the resellers have jacked up prices.

We've only been using it for a few weeks, but DS loves it - especially sending water balls and other things down the spiral. One thing that is problematic is that the spiral is designed for balls and is not water-tight. I found this out one day when I decided to let DS use the water table in the kitchen because the weather was too cold to use it outside... Not a problem if you only use it outside though.

For an umbrella, we got one at Ikea and we'll use it for other things like DS's little pool if it ever warms up enough to get that out...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70210797/
the basic base we got at Ikea was also $15.

new_mom_mry
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Hmm...as for your question about the lid and umbrella, I think a lid is a must. You might be able to get away without the umbrella if you have your DS wear a sun hat or if you put it somewhere in the shade! I think the lid is particularly nice for those times when you forget to drain the water...at least it stands covered overnight. It also helps protect it from dust/particles/insects/racoons?? etc. The table that we have is definitely bigger than the one you linked, whereas the one you linked has better toys...I think it's a tradeoff. You basically give up the lid/umbrella/size for fun toys! I think it's a tough decision because you have to get really creative with the more bland water tables like mine (add toys, etc.) which is more work :) Whereas the water-only tables, like the one you linked, are super fun in terms of the toys but you give up the features that help with logistics of keeping it clean and keeping DC out of the sun!

Twoboos
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM
We got this one for my niece's 2nd bday, and she LOVES it! They only use water in it, and apparently she's obsessed with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Tikes-Sand-and-Sea-Play-Table/5623440?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5623440&sourceid=1500000000000003260420&veh=cse

♥ms.pacman♥
05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
we have the same one as candaceb..got it from TRU last year. there is no way we paid $60 for it, i think it was closer to $40. my kids both love it, were playing in it just yesterday.

acmom
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I have been looking at water tables for my son's 2nd bday too and had many of the same questions as you! We actually have the Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand and Water table (with the cover and umbrella), but now fill it totally with sand. It is a great size and I would definitely recommend it. We used to do sand in the spring/fall and then dump the sand in the summer and use it for water, which it was great for it too. I would like to avoid dumping and filling it all the time and my son LOVES water play so I was looking for another table for just water. I just can't decide if most of those circular water tables will last longer than this summer - they look like fun, but they look pretty short.

endlessheather
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=pd_sbs_t_1 think it was linked above too. We had just a Step 2 water table like some linked here and it had the squirting, water wheel stuff. It just isn't as durable as the larger one we have now. The legs eventually broke for us from the kids knocking it around and we could never have more than really the 2 boys around ours. Also, the little squirters stopped working after a while and the tubes that connect under the table for ours wouldn't stay put in and it started leaking.

I'm sure the newer ones are nicer :) since it was like 2 years ago but I like having more room and we do use the umbrella on really hot days. I just tend to buy water toys to go with it and I have one of those water wheels that the boys put in one side. I fill the whole thing with water and have a separate sand box far away ;)

Jai
05-17-2012, 04:38 PM
We have the Step2 Play Up Adjustable Sand/Water Table:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00383AEZW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000641DPQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DK2ERHH0901BZCQQ1QP

I can only comment on its utility as a water table. We fill both sides with water...we have a stamped concrete patio and I just don't want to deal with sand everywhere when we can take DS to the neighborhood park in a matter of minutes. It's ok, but looking back, at least for our needs, I should have gotten one that was just a water table. They come with super fun toys, whereas this one only comes with a few boats, some bridges, etc. Of course you can add your own toys (little people characters??). I do like the built-in umbrella feature! I also like the tight-fitting lid.

:yeahthat:

We only use it as a water tabe also. I would get it again though because of its adjustable height. DS is tall--40 inches at his 3 year old check up. This will be our third summer with the table, and we havent moved it to the top notch yet.

sunshine873
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
We have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=pd_sbs_t_1 think it was linked above too. We had just a Step 2 water table like some linked here and it had the squirting, water wheel stuff. It just isn't as durable as the larger one we have now. The legs eventually broke for us from the kids knocking it around and we could never have more than really the 2 boys around ours. Also, the little squirters stopped working after a while and the tubes that connect under the table for ours wouldn't stay put in and it started leaking.

I'm sure the newer ones are nicer :) since it was like 2 years ago but I like having more room and we do use the umbrella on really hot days. I just tend to buy water toys to go with it and I have one of those water wheels that the boys put in one side. I fill the whole thing with water and have a separate sand box far away ;)

This is the one we have too & I love it. The umbrella is actually a really nice feature if you're in a super-sunny-hot area. & the cover? Yes, it is a MUST! It keeps bugs out (which would be a deal-breaker for me.) We also do all water in the summer & all sand in the fall/winter. Over time we have added some small in-expensive sand toys for additional play. I'd much rather start with the structure that I want and add some cheap plastic toys (heck, even worn out cups, etc keep DD happy.)

Beth24
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. It will make my very important decision so much easier! :ROTFLMAO:

ourbabygirl
05-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I have that Step 2 Naturally Playful one, too (the green & brown one), as well as a slide that matches it. Honestly, a big reason I got it was so it would blend in with our yard (seems like everything we have back there, including the play set, is some sort of brown or green! :)). Anyhow, I bought it 2 years ago when DD was about 16 months old, and now she has a little brother who's 19 months old, so I figure we'll still use it a lot this summer.
We love having the lid and the umbrella, though our umbrella went kaput in a tornado two years ago. I really should order another one, I'm just kind of too cheap! It's been great for play dates... I usually have water on one side and sand on the other, but I think from now on I'll just do water in it (in hot weather) since DS is a lot messier than his sister ever was, and I can imagine him mixing the sand and water together to make a huge mess.
I think it really grows with the kids since it's nice and big, and it fits at least 2-4 kids around it (it's always popular at my play dates where the kids are all 1-4 years old).

Check around at different websites; you might be able to find it cheaper than at Amazon. Try Sears, Wal-mart, Kmart, Target, JCPenny, Step2, ToysRUs, and any other website you can think of that has kids' toys (e.g., I got our Cozy Coupe from diapers.com a couple years ago). Or there might even be a good condition one on Craig's List.

ETA These tables are also awesome to use as sensory tables inside in the off-season! You can fill them with all sorts of things of different textures- corn kernels, potting soil, marshmallows, rice, dried beans, cotton balls, etc. You can add objects according to the main filler material, to go with the theme, and cater it according to different holidays, etc. I'm always amazed at the creative sensory tables in our ECFE classes!

HTH! :)

lhafer
05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
I've had the Step 2 sand/water table in the past and we loved it. Had it for several years and it looked almost brand new when I sold it. Loved the umbrella and cover for it. Mine was older so it didn't have the adjustable legs - great feature! I usually did either all water or all sand - both was too much mess. I ended up selling it because when we moved into our current house, the back porch just wasn't big enough for it, and I had gotten them a separate sand box when they got a new swing set.

So I ended up buying the Water Wheel water table. I had a 5 year old and 18 month old at the time. I wanted something that was small enough that the baby could play with it, but big enough that my 5 year old could play too - and it fit the bill just fine. They loved playing with that table. I got it last summer. Unfortunately just as summer rolls around this year, one of the legs broke. So I had to trash it. :(

I almost bought them another water table, but I decided to build one myself instead. I know that's not an option for a lot of people, so I recommend buying the Step 2 sand/water combo table. I would just recommend doing one or the other and not both at the same time.

BayGirl2
05-19-2012, 12:48 AM
We have the adjustable one too but we usually use it only for sand. Occasionally it gets warm enough here to add water and we always drain it right after using it. We are on Summer #3 and haven't raised it yet so I think it will last us a while. The lid fits well and the roads and toys give lots of things to do with it. There's also plenty of room for other sand toys, which we seem to accumulate without trying.

A1icia
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
In case anyone is still looking diapers.com has Step 2 stuff on sale for 15% off. Plus you can get ebates!

Just got the natural Step 2 one - thanks for all the great info. My 2 yr DS is going to be so excited!

wendibird22
06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Late to the game, but wanted to chime in that we got this water table at Aldi's for $29. It's been great. Both kiddos (2.5 and 5) love it. It's easy to assemble and easy to empty.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Spiralin-Seas-Waterpark/dp/B004INDQWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338828683&sr=8-2