PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for summer

flashy09
05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
I have the Beco Gemini and it's great, but a pretty heavy material. It's going to be a hot summer here and I am worried about DD getting sweaty. I don't think I could figure out a wrap - and maybe she will be too big anyway - so I still want one with some structure if that's possible. Any out there with a lighter material?

mommylamb
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
I just bought this one, but still waiting for it to arrive. I know you said you don't want a wrap (which this one is) but I have to say, they're really pretty simple to use. I was very intimidated by my moby before I started using it and I was surprised by how easy it was pretty much immediately. I watched a you tube video of someone putting it on, and after that, no problem at all.

I bought this new one because I wanted to be able to have something that I could wear in the pool/beach.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73084883/water-wrap-baby-carrier-babywearing-at

lizzywednesday
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
You could look at linen slings (like Sakura Bloom), mei teis or cotton woven/gauze wraps. For wraps, brands to look at include EllaRoo and Wrapsody/GypsyMama.

Wraps aren't complicated once you get the hang of it, but personally I'd avoid a stretchy one with a larger (say, more than 20lbs) kiddo because it'll sag & dig into your shoulders.

There are a TON of great videos on YouTube for wrap carries.

Also, don't overdress your DD while wearing - a onesie and a broad-brimmed hat would probably be fine for most summer babywearing! I used to dress my DD in rompers like this one from Carter's:

http://www.carters.com/null/1-Piece-Print-Sunsuit/714442472744,default,pd.html?cgid=carters-baby-girl-one-pieces

Melaine
05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I just bought this one, but still waiting for it to arrive. I know you said you don't want a wrap (which this one is) but I have to say, they're really pretty simple to use. I was very intimidated by my moby before I started using it and I was surprised by how easy it was pretty much immediately. I watched a you tube video of someone putting it on, and after that, no problem at all.

I bought this new one because I wanted to be able to have something that I could wear in the pool/beach.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73084883/water-wrap-baby-carrier-babywearing-at

Ohh I like that one. Looks so cool! I love the moby so far but I've already started getting hot. It just seems unnecessarily bulky.

flashy09
05-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks so much everyone. Do you think she actually would get too hot in a Beco Gemini? The one I have is solid black and seems so heavy.

BabyBearsMom
05-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Do you think she actually would get too hot in a Beco Gemini? The one I have is solid black and seems so heavy.

I wore DD1 in the summer in an Ergo (similar fabric to a Beco) and it was warm but totally fine. I just made sure both of us were dressed lightly -a tank top for me and a onesie for DD1.

lizzywednesday
05-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I wore DD1 in the summer in an Ergo (similar fabric to a Beco) and it was warm but totally fine. I just made sure both of us were dressed lightly -a tank top for me and a onesie for DD1.

:yeahthat:

My DD sweats like a beast. I used my wrap until she fit properly in the Ergo (middle of summer) and simply dressed her VERY lightly - a tee & diaper, onesie, sleeveless romper, etc. - and she was fine.

daisymommy
05-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Sakura Bloom Linen sling, or other brand of linen sling, anything made with gauze, such as a wrap.

Oooh! I just came across these linen slings, which are half the cost of the cheapest Sakura Bloom sling. But they look the same!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/99083853/ring-sling-baby-carrier-plum-linen-for?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=summer+baby+carrier&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=handmade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Sakura Bloom Linen sling, or other brand of linen sling, anything made with gauze, such as a wrap.

Oooh! I just came across these linen slings, which are half the cost of the cheapest Sakura Bloom sling. But they look the same!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/99083853/ring-sling-baby-carrier-plum-linen-for?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=summer+baby+carrier&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=handmade

I think that Sakura Bloom has a more heavily padded shoulder than those do, but otherwise they appear to be fairly comparable.

Multimama
05-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a Gemini. I was seriously considering getting a different SSC (semi-structured carrier) for summer, but I think I've decided to stick with the Gemini. I like it in pretty much every other way. I will just dress DS very sparsely and then probably drape an A&A blanket loosely around for some sun protection.

ABO Mama
05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
. I will just dress DS very sparsely and then probably drape an A&A blanket loosely around for some sun protection.

For sun protection, you have to check out monkey pockets. The cover stays on, and DS has never been burned.