PDA

View Full Version : Sleep help - up every 2 hrs!

flashy09
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
My DD was a great sleeper until 4 months. Now she gets up at least every 2 hrs. I have been nursing her almost every time this week trying to keep her quiet for a houseguest. I am so tired. I also do it all wrong getting her to sleep at bedtime - nurse her, rock her, and then stay with her playing her favorite song until she goes to sleep - it works well to get her out, but not stay out. For naps i usually wear her or she falls asleep nursing and I hold her or put in the swing.

So today I decide while I have the house to myself and no one to disturb that I would try a bit of Ferber. When she got tired in the morning I put her in her crib and she cried...went up after 3 minutes and came back downstairs and she went to sleep right after. So easy! She started crying after 1/2 hr and I didn't know whether she was done with the nap or whether I needed to "ferberize" again since normally she sleeps 1-2 hrs. I ended up getting her out of the crib, nursing her on my bed, and we both fell asleep for another hour. So not great, but at least she did fall asleep on her own the first time and in her crib, not on me/swing. Next time should I start over with the CIO if she wakes up before 1 hr?

For her afternoon nap, I did the same thing, but she cried after the first 3 minute check and after the 5 minute check as well so I went in and stayed with her for 2 minutes and she went to sleep . Is that still ok? I assume not because she didn't fall asleep without me in the room, but at the same time there was no elaborate routine needed (which I normally need to get her to bed in the crib).

Do you even bother with Ferber for naps? She doesn't have any napping issues, but I thought maybe she should start napping in our room like night to help the association (I played the same white noise and sleep sheep just like night) and also to help teach the self soothing during the day when I am not so tired.

What about wake ups during the night if she is sleeping next to me in the cosleeper? Do I touch her and talk to her every 3 minutes, then 5, etc, but not take her out?

I am just a little confused, thanks so much!

alexmommy
05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
First of all, :hug: to you. Sleep issues are hard for everyone. My DS was like that, good until 5 months, and then it got difficult. With him, we did Ferber at night and I co-slept with him for naps during the day - I needed the sleep too. Now he is 3, and I still rock him in the glider to help him get sleepy (though not asleep). He is very cuddly and we both enjoy the time, but he gets to sleep on his own.

With DD, I've had to just let her cry-if I go in to soothe her it makes her mad. For DD (11 mo), she almost always wakes up after 30 min, crying, then goes back to sleep on her own.

What will work for you? Not sure. I try to tackle night issues first since that's when I really need my sleep, and it is when kids are the most tired. In our house we picked a long weekend, and DH did the Ferber-ing, since he can't nurse, and I had a harder time listening to my baby cry. I think with co-sleeping you reassure baby you are still there, but don't pick them up and don't nurse (unless it is time). Then re-set the clock and wait.

As with most recommendations, they are a guide, and you know your child best. Good luck! Many of us have BTDT and it does get better.

hoodlims
06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
I think your DD sounds like she is doing a GREAT job with naps and Ferberizing, so much better than the "kids will cry up to 45min" thing he says. And actually, he has no advice for naps at all, except to say "whatever works, go with it". As for nighttime sleep, you may want to start sleep training only after she is out of your room. I think this is for your sake as well as hers, as to avoid confusion and "giving in". Or maybe you can try by moving the cosleeper further away from your bed and putting the 4th wall up and doing the Ferber method that way. You will be tired, very, very tired. Good luck!

Lupe
06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
My experience is that if you are going to sleep train tackle the night first and once that is fine move to doing the same for naps. Until then do whatever makes her nap. Once they learn how to fall asleep on her own at the beginning of the night it is much easier through the night and naps. 4 months maybe a little early to sleep train, they go through a sleep regression around that time, so maybe you want to wait and see if it gets better on its own.

flashy09
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
So still having a few issues! Went to England for two weeks and everything went out the window. It was so cold she ended up in my bed most of the night and helped herself to the snack bar. Now back home and in her co sleeper she usually wakes up to nurse twice in between 7pm and 6am then goes right back to sleep. Once a week or so she is up every 2 hrs or so.

I am starting to think that even the good nights are not all that good at her age. Every time she wakes up during the night, she needs to nurse herself to sleep. She is a silent sleeper and is definitely not just making noises in between sleep cycles....if I just comfort her or ignore her she gets furious, lol.

We have been doing naps in her crib and tonight I am going to move her to the crib in the nursery from the co sleeper in our room. I think we wake her up when we come to bed, the dogs come in and out of the room all night, and I have a feeling the close proximity to me reminds her of nursing even more.

I do a modified Ferber approach to getting her to sleep. Read to her, nurse her, rock her, put her in co sleeper and then spend about 5 minutes with her if she is not already asleep. If she is still awake, then I leave and come back every 5 minutes or so.

But now with her in another room, what do I do when she wakes up at 1 am? Go in, but just comfort her (she won't stop crying, but at least won't feel abandoned)? Stay in my room? If so, for how long before it's just plain mean? Do I cut out nursing cold turkey during the night or should I cut back at first (just one time between 7 pm and 6 am)? Can she go that long at 6 1/2 months? Seems so long, but she did used to go almost that long between 7 weeks and 4 months.

Thank you!

marymoo86
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I would cut back. Pick a time frame that you want sleep and no nurse during that time. At 6 months all night is still kind of long to go without food. You can gradually reduce the amount of time you are nursing if you are wanting to nightwean her.

flashy09
07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
She went in her nursery in her crib four nights ago and has slept 7 -7 every night! I guess that was the key. She puts herself back to sleep even. I must have been too tempting so close to her and she would want to nurse. So happy! Although I check the monitor almost as often as she used to get up! And I do miss her by 5 or 6 am. But I feel alive again in the mornings!

trickyhop
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I put my DS1 in a car seat around 3 months and it worked wonders. He didnt like sleeping flat on his back. I think it helps with gas and if they are collicky. He was a breastfed baby also slept or (didnt sleep)with me. For DS2 whos 11 weeks got him a rock n play its a bassinet/cradle type thing. It puts them at an angle. Its my fave. I keep it next to the bed and i can rock him if he wakes up. He's also a BF baby.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22

We did six hours the other night so excited :bighand: maybe try him in car seat and if it works invest in the rock n play. It does come in other colors i just gave you the amazon link for the 727 positive reviews. Its a great portable bed. Weight limit is 25lbs so you can use at least till a year +.

Good luck with ferber did it for DS1 most nerve racking thing ive ever gone thru dont know who was more upset by it him or me.

trickyhop
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Just saw Your post. LOL. So Happy for you!