PDA

View Full Version : Why did my crib double in price??

PearlsMom
05-18-2012, 05:07 PM
My DS is almost 2 and we're expecting #2 in the fall. I want to keep DS in his crib as long as possible and get the same one for #2. We have the AP Industries Lollipop crib for DS and it is fantastic. But I swear I bought it for about $400 two years ago, and now it's listed everywhere at $799 or more! Exact same crib. What happened?? The only thing I can think of is that the manufacturing was repatriated to Canada or something...I can't remember if mine first one was made in Canada or Asia or where. Any ideas?

I really don't know what I'm going to do for new baby's crib; $799 is just a bit hard to swallow for a very basic crib, although our first one has held up really well, and the low profile has been awesome for this short mama.

crl
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Ikea makes low profile cribs and they are inexpensive. We have been quite happy with our Gulliver.

Catherine

Claki
05-21-2012, 09:28 PM
After Buy Buy Baby discontinued carrying the Lollipop the price went up in 2010. The only place that was lower was at Albee Baby. We bought ours last year on Albee Baby for about $400. I saw now that the price is now $799!

That said, I don't like our Lollipop nearly as much as the first crib we bought for DS1, a Mother Hubbard crib.

hoodlims
05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
You may not need a 2nd crib at all. My DD and DS are 22m apart, and our neighbor passed down a crib to us because DD was still sleeping in her crib..until she turned 2 years old and started climbing out. We JUST put DS in his crib at 5m (was in a co-sleeper before that), so there was a 3m window when nobody was in a crib at all. I'd wait and see if you need one before buying one.

roseyloxs
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
You may not need a 2nd crib at all. My DD and DS are 22m apart, and our neighbor passed down a crib to us because DD was still sleeping in her crib..until she turned 2 years old and started climbing out. We JUST put DS in his crib at 5m (was in a co-sleeper before that), so there was a 3m window when nobody was in a crib at all. I'd wait and see if you need one before buying one.

:yeahthat: I second that. Newborns tend to spend the first 6 months with us before moving to their crib. Your DS could be about 2.5 and ready for something new by then and save you the trouble. At the very least you are giving yourself time to find a sale or have the price come back to a reasonable level. I might also check CL if you are willing to buy used. If all else fails I would just get an IKEA crib and stain or paint it to match your lollipop.

Both of my kids moved to a twin bed when they turned 2 (I didn't want two cribs). They were both really good about staying in bed. DS didn't figure out until almost 3 that he could leave his bed on his own. DD figured it out much earlier though so there are no guarantees.

swissair81
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
I regretted not having a second crib. I kept my babies with me until 6-7 months and I still could have used a second one for DS. He wasn't really ready for a bed until quite recently.

WatchingThemGrow
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Your older one will be 29 months old, plus a window of 3-6 months of your baby being in your room...I totally wouldn't buy a second crib. When mine were 18 months apart, we did get a second crib, but we definitely did not use them that whole time. Instead, I'd put your funds into a big kid bed. We went with a Young America bed that was able to be adjusted very low. For DD, we made a snug-tuck pillow, and for DSs, we used the rails that were part of the bunkbed set, except that the bed was like 1' off the ground.

VGL
06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
My DS is almost 2 and we're expecting #2 in the fall. I want to keep DS in his crib as long as possible and get the same one for #2. We have the AP Industries Lollipop crib for DS and it is fantastic. But I swear I bought it for about $400 two years ago, and now it's listed everywhere at $799 or more! Exact same crib. What happened?? The only thing I can think of is that the manufacturing was repatriated to Canada or something...I can't remember if mine first one was made in Canada or Asia or where. Any ideas?

I have seen that crib in Canada for around $400 for the made in Asia version and $700 something for the made in Canada version.

arivecchi
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
If you decide you still want a crib, I would look at the Baby's Dream Generation Next crib with safety gate:

http://www.babysdream.com/ViewItem.aspx?pid=1

I got mine for $299 and the quality is excellent. It is much sturdier and well built than the more expensive Munire crib we got DS1. My SIL bought one based on my recommendation and she loves it too. Ours still looks perfect and DS2 is already 3.5 yo. We will be converting it to a full size bed soon.