PDA

View Full Version : Specific Mountain Buggy Swift Questions/Concerns

Mirnada
05-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm currently leaning toward the MB Swift for our first baby. I've done a bunch of research here and elsewhere, and handled the stroller a little in person. For background, I like to walk a lot in the neighborhood, sometimes on gravelly paths, I'm petite (5'1"), and we live in Boston, so I'll be dealing w. snow part of the time.

The Swift seemed a good bet, because it's an AT that's not too large or heavy. I can't think of another equal alternative. I like the sturdiness of the Valco TriMode, but worry that it's too big to fit in our tiny trunk & too heavy for me to carry. Also been considering the BJ GT, but don't know if the forever air tires are as good as air.

These are my concerns/questions, and I'd love to hear from other people who already own it - or suggestions for other strollers I should consider:

- The seat back doesn't seem the easiest to raise/lower, especially with a kid in the seat. Never having had a kid before, I don't know how much of a pain that is.

- How often do air tires really get flats or leaks? Can I feel ok walking on bumpy and gravelly nature paths? I'm fine with ordering some tubes to have just in case, and I believe my neighborhood bike shop can replace if necessary. Just don't want to have to mess with it too much.

- One of the biggest design flaws to the Swift seems to be how the fabric bunches up around the kid's face when the seat is put upright. It seems like it'd be a pain to have to shove it behind the back every time the seat's adjusted - or does that not happen IRL that often?

- And slightly off-topic - What is the MB carry cot like? I can find very few reviews or mentions of it. I was thinking of using an Arms Reach Mini for the first 3-4 months, but I'm concerned about feeling boxed in and/or unable to have a side table next to me (our bedroom isn't too spacious). So, I'm wondering if a smaller bassinet might be a better solution. Could I use the MB carry cot on the stand as an alternative? Has anyone done that? Is it safe for a baby to sleep in?

Thanks in advance!

pastrygirl
05-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I've only used my Swift with an older child, and I'm not able to make the seat upright without having him sit up first. Even then, it's much easier if he's out of the stroller entirely. I'm not able to push the fabric behind the seat with him in the stroller, but I haven't done it too many times.

I've never had a flat, but I think I can count on two hands the number of times I've used the Swift. It doesn't get much use here, because my son is almost 3.

Mirnada
05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok, after a little more research and review-browsing, I'm wondering if the Bumbleride Indie might be a good fit. I had heard that it's not as sturdy and the salesperson in our local store (Magic Beans) didn't prefer it. But I watched a review again, and I like the way it folds better than the Swift, and I really like the look of it. In a way, it folds up smaller because it doesn't have the long fold like the Swift does. I especially like the Walnut in the natural edition.

Would love for any opinions/thoughts. How's the carry cot on the Indie, too?

swissair81
05-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I personally prefer the Mountain Buggy to the Bumbleride, maybe in part because the frame doesn't fold in the middle (it seems sturdier that way). I personally prefer the Swift, however if you took a poll, you might find the posters here pretty evenly split in their opinions.

-As for your concerns about the Swift above, I have 3 mountain buggies, and I never had a problem adjusting the seat- with or without a child in it.
-I think I have owned a total of 5 MBs in the past 6-7 years. One of them got a flat once. I think we ran over a tack in the airport. As soon as we reached our destination, we were able to have the tire patched in a bike shop without having to replace anything.
-There is a way to fit the fabric back over the seat back. However, since it doesn't bother me (or my kids), I never bothered doing it. I guess it might be a pain if it bothers you.
My last 3 babies slept in Mountain Buggy carrycots when they weren't sleeping in my bed with me(either Swift or Urban- depending on which stroller I had at the time). I usually put them in something though. I think one baby I put it in my pack n play bassinet, one I kept attached to the stroller, and one I put inside a portacrib on the top rung.

I used my Swift as my car stroller for a good year, and I still put it in my car when I need an AT at my destination (I have a Bee+ as my car stroller, which is awesome, but not AT). It is fairly lightweight, fits well in my van with other things, and it is not a stinky umbrella. I will admit that it is one of my favorites. I am quite a bit taller than you (5'7", but I have much shorter friends that enjoy theirs immensely as well).

fedoragirl
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I cannot comment on the Indie since I don't own one but I do have a Swift. We love using it for all the uneven terrain around us. And I love taking it to crowded fairs, parks, etc. and being able to zip through small openings and narrow lanes. It is very agile.
I do not love the fabric bunching around DS' face but it's not a deal breaker for me. Most times, I remember to push the fabric out of the way before I put DS in it. When that doesn't happen, I just fold it in a way that it surrounds his face rather than just bunch up. The seat is very easy to recline but needs a bit of muscle to push back into upright position. However, I have three different brand strollers and they all have the same issue.
The long fold did concern us but the Swift manages to fit into a small car--Toyota Corolla. A friend of mine fits hers in her Honda Fit.
The carrycot is very slim and long. I was concerned my DS wouldn't fit in it for very long. However, he used is for 4 months before he lost interest in lying down and looking at the sky. DS was born at 8 lbs 11 oz. so he wasn't a tiny baby. Most people here recommend it for small babies but that hasn't been my experience. I do know that most carrycots are NOT recommended to be used as bassinets.
Finally, I have never had a flat. I have inflated the tires to keep them in good shape but only once in a year or so.
The only thing I don't like about my Swift is the canopy. It's just too awkward and not big enough. Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me.
You might also want to look at Valco Baby which is also an Australian brand like MB. I just got the Valco trimode twin and it's a beast but it handles beautifully. We get stares in town as if we were celebrities.

swissair81
05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
The only thing I don't like about my Swift is the canopy. It's just too awkward and not big enough. Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'm going to use this as a point to show how individual stroller tastes are. I love my Swift canopy. I think it's perfect. I had a previous MB (2007, I think) that I sold because the canopy stunk and my DS used to cry whenever the sun hit his face. There are other people who prefer the older MBs because they were made in New Zealand instead of China. The rule of thumb is that it doesn't matter if everyone else on the planet likes it. If you don't, you will be miserable, everyone else's opinions notwithstanding.

echoesofspring
05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I'll jump in for the indie - I can't compare it to the MB, but from your requirements, I think it's another worth considering.

- I've recently had a little trouble reclining the seat, but that's with a 23lb baby in it, and it might be that my straps are just a little twisted or something. Before then it was always really easy.
- I've had the stroller a year, it's our primary stroller, and while we don't do a lot of trails, we've done some and it's been great on rough terrian, seems to hold it's own with the Bob's I'm usually trekking along with. I've gotten exactly 1 flat, knock wood, that was about 2 months in and was from a tree with spiky droppings/seeds.
- I love, love, loved the carry cot, we used it so much on the stroller and off around the house, DS always seemed really comfy in it, I was definitely happy I had made the splurge.

legaleagle
05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Crl posted a detailed comparison of indie v swift a while back. She ended up keeping the indie.

Multimama
05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I haven't owned either of them, but my contribution is that I much prefer the colors and fabrics on the Indie. Bumbleride is really awesome at picking great fabrics/colors! Meanwhile I've been waiting and waiting for some kind of cool limited edition Swift and they just aren't going to give me one. I don't like any of the colors on the Swift much and the worst part is that the inside of the canopy is lime or chili if you pick those so it really limits your liner options.

Okay, this obviously won't be the make it or break it deciding factor for you, OP, but just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Someday I will own a Bumbleride and I will pet it and/or photograph it every day. So pretty :)

Of course, MB could decide to re-release the cabana stripe fabrics on the Swift. I would be soooo happy. They used to have such great taste! What happened? (Rhetorical question. I think a sale to P&T happened.)

hollissmama
05-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I also put in a vote for the indie. I have had a single and double and recently bought and returned a MB Duo, no experience with a Swift though. I much prefer the bumblerides for a number of reasons that are important for a newbie. Either way I would definitely get a carrycot so it would be a reversible option and comfy for the baby to sleep in otherwise.

I much prefer the canopy on the indie, easier to pull forward and the zipper is awesome for air circulation, when you unsnap the MB the sunshade loses it's shap and falls down in the back (if that makes sense)

the recline WAS a deal breaker for me. Which is why I would have a hard time using it with a younger baby. It was pretty tough getting the fabric back behind there, not nearly as easy as Hollis Schultz shows it. :) Impossible with a kid in it and if you don't shove it back you can't see the baby through the window.

Also I am a bit superficial, I love pretty things esp. when I see them everyday and spend lots of money on them. I was super underwhelmed w/ the MB's looks. I adore almost every color of the Bumblerides, I have had seagrass (flite), walnut, ruby and have an indie twin on it's way in fog to replace the Duo.

The extra features and beauty IMO make up for a slightly sturdier stroller but I feel like the push is pretty similar, but again only speaking from an inside try on the MB.

crl
05-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Here is a link to my Swift vs Indie review.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=388294&highlight=Swift

Mine were both 2010s. I think Mountain Buggy subsequently change the tire design to make access to the valve easier.

On your specific questions about the Swift:

I almost never changed the seat back position with a child in the stroller. If dd fell asleep with it upright, changing it woke her up anyway. So this isn't a big deal to me. The Indie wasn't any easier on this point, btw.

My BOB went several years and a few thousand mile (I walk A LOT) with zero flats. My swifts (I had a 2009 and sold it for a 2010) had a couple of flats. The ten inch tires make this a bit more of a hassle, but not that bad. My bike shop was able to patch for me and you can order inner tubes to keep if necessary. I had my indie for a year and had zero flats. I think air tires are definitely worth the relatively low risk of flats. I am a huge fan of air tires.

The fabric bunching up didn't bother me a lot, although I also didn't change the seat position all that often. When dd was a newborn it was flat all the time. When she was four to seven months or so, it was half way up almost all the time. Then it was all the way up almost all the time.

No experience with any carrycot of any kind.

I did not like the Swift canopy. The indie canopy is far superior IMO.

If I were buying for a newborn, I would get an indie.

Hope that helps,
Catherine

MommyAllison
05-21-2012, 01:08 AM
First, my disclaimer: I have the older NZ made MBs, both the urban single and double. I think the specific things you're asking about are pretty similar on the swift & the urban single though...so here are my opinions.

- seat back fabric: it's never bothered me - I recline/put the seat upright with kids in or out. if there is a kid sitting in the stroller, i hold the seat back up with one hand while adjusting the recline angle with the other.

- never had a flat, though we do add air to the tires every few months during strolling season. generally don't use the stroller much from dec-march, and it needs air when we get it out in the spring.

- fabric bunching doesn't bother me - i actually never knew it was an issue until i watched the urban jungle review on baby gizmo. we usually have a stroller bunting in there, so i don't even notice the extra fabric.

I've never used their carrycots, just put the newborn straight in the fully reclined seat, with a snuzzler at first, then a stroller bunting. Good luck deciding!

hapimommy
05-21-2012, 02:16 AM
I do not have a swift, but I do have a mbduo single carrycot. Like all mountain buggy accessories, it is really strong, and is imo really nice to look at. I carried it around in my car even if I was not going to use the duo, since it provided such a nice travel bed for dd. If you like carrycots then I think mountain buggy makes a nice one, but I only have a vista bassinet to compare it to. The vista one is longer and wider, and I bought an organic sheet for the vista. The mb carrycot does not have a detachable mattress, so I would just line it with a receiving blanket, and put dd in. But the mb carrycot seems so strong that I was considering using it as a grocery basket, it looks indestructible, and I expect it will last through all of my kids, nephews, and nieces.

The seat fabric bunching in my duo seems to bother no one except for me. DS seems irritated when I try and push the fabric back. And dd is too small to even touch the bunched fabric. So I think it is not a dealbreaker.

I have only played with a double indie at bbb, so I can't compare singles for you. Good luck!

roseyloxs
05-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I have not owned a swift but I have owned both an '06 indie single and an '09 indie twin. The fabric on the indie is going to be nicer for a number of reasons. Its softer, its prettier, and it can be removed for washing. The canopy is also nicer on the indie and the back can be zipped off for more access to the child or to make it a bit breezier on warm days.

All that being said the mountain buggies are sturdy little beasts. If that is what is most important to you then I would get the swift. They have a much sturdier feel and unless you are annoyed easily your concerns are just small inconveniences for a well built stroller.

Kaylee31
05-21-2012, 05:36 AM
I had a Terrain and now an Indie, which I prefer for a infant. The terrain had a nice follow the sun canopy, but the indie's has better coverage, nicer fabrics, easier recline, more upright seat and the adjustable footrest. The MB recline would've drove me nuts if I had to use it often and the fabric bunching annoys me. I still think both are great but the indie was better for my needs. I like that you don't have to remove the indie fabric to use either the carseat adaptor or carrycot. The carrycot is nice, longer but more narrow than the vista's and has carrying straps. I feel comfortable letting DD nap in it;; but not for overnight use since it's not very wide and there isn't any airflow on the sides.

adler
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a Swift.
I find raising/lowering the seat back to be really easy. It's annoying to raise one-handed, but with two hands, it's great, and I can lower it one side at a time with one hand.

I put the Swift bassinet straight on my bed (against the wall). It's so narrow, it fit without bothering me. I didn't like using it in the stroller so much because--they're all like this and it was my fault for not realizing--the babies aren't strapped in in the bassinet, and I was going up/down stairs too often.

My baby didn't like the carry cot for sleeping very much--I think it was too firm. But that wouldn't bother every baby, and you can probably put a soft thin blanket underneath.

new_mom_mry
05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
We bought an Indie for our first child, and also the bassinet thinking we would use it in the initial months. Loved the Indie so much in its flat recline mode that never even once used it with the bassinet. Our son was born in November, so we would just use the Indie in the flat recline position with a Bundle me and he was super cozy and comfy in it. Also, some kids just don't like to be lying on a flat surface and need a slight angle (same concept as for why babies nap so well in car seats, swings, bouncers, etc.). Maybe that's why DS really liked the Indie in the full recline mode because of this slight angle. We kept the bassinet downstairs as an occasional place for him to nap, and he just never cared for it. Anyway, I think the Indie is an awesome single stroller!

P.S. When we have a 2nd child, I might give the bassinet another chance to see if the new baby likes it...so I am not saying to NOT get it, but if for whatever reason you don't want to spend the money, then you can easily use the Indie without the bassinet from day 1.