PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the things we just live with

HIU8
05-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Ok, so I'm lactose intolerant. I've been my entire life. No big deal. I used to avoid dairy and/or take the pills to be able to eat dairy. My case was severe (2 pills never helped--I had to take 6-8 to not get any symptoms). As the years went by things got better and I didn't need to be as cautious as I was as a kid. So, over the past yr I've been having major issues again. I go off dairy totally for 2 weeks. All symptoms gone. So, here I am back with the pills or avoiding dairy (including hidden dairy in boxed products--which is most of them, whey and citrus fruit). I had forgotten what it was like to scrutinize every label for every product I buy. I'm back to doing that again. Now, I know it's not as bad as someone with a severe allergy. I have a renewed respect for what they have to go through just to find safe items to eat. it's a gastro issue with diarrhea that I go through and reading labels more closely has made it so that I don't have issues daily (or multiple times daily) anylonger.

kozachka
05-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Lots of hugs. I had to watch what I eat when I was nursing DS and even that little bit was driving me crazy, so I can only imagine what it would be like to read all labels all the time, and have lots of things you can't it. Hope it has good benefits like losing weight (it did for a GF of mine that could not have diary while nursing her lactose intolerant DD).

MamaMolly
05-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Oh the labels. It totally does suck and you have my deepest sympathy! :kisscheek:

BabbyO
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Oh the labels. It totally does suck and you have my deepest sympathy! :kisscheek:

Ditto that! And don't forget to check the labels EVERY time you get something. I can't tell you how many times a previously "safe" item had dairy added to it. Somehow we only find it after DS has eaten said item.

So frustrating...I hope that you'll quickly get up to speed on the "regular" items that you can eat so shopping isn't a big a pain.