PDA

View Full Version : Removing Funtainer Designs... How?

lisa928
05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I bought two Funtainers at a great price ($5 at Amazing Savings) and thought I could remove the design as I think I have read on these board. I tried pure acetone but that did not work. Any suggestions as the cups have a boys theme which I know my girls will not approve of?

For those of you that have an Amazing Savings by you there also had the jar version for $5.

Suebell
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I was going to buy some heavy duty decals to put over ours....

crunchy
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Steel wool worked in the past, but I've heard they've made the designs more... robust.

Twoboos
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I had a Thermos stainless water bottle with a design on it. Brought it to the beach and the sand removed it all! (Which probably doesn't help unless you live near the beach, LOL! Maybe the sandbox?)

Aishe
05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Same thing happened to me last year with a deal on Hannah Montana funtainers. Acetone did nothing. I ended up using baking soda and steel wool. Prepare to have a sore arm the next day. I just removed the Hannah Montana graphic and left the floral design. Otherwise I would have been scrubbing for hours. Good luck!

anonomom
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
How new/strong is your dishwasher? We got a new Bosch about two months ago and none of our funtainers have any designs left. The dishwasher just blasts them off. (this, after they each lasted from 1-3 years just fine in our old dishwasher).

AJP
05-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I had a heck of a time removing hello kitty from 2 funtainers with acetone. I don't remember what did end up working, but I tried everything and anything I had on hand. Our preschool requested no commercial/licensed character stuff and of course the ONE thing we've bought was those 2 funtainers! I know in the end it was something abrasive that worked and my arm was HURTING from all the scrubbing too!

Suebell
05-21-2012, 10:39 PM
A stronger paint thinner/remover from a hardware store?

Binkandabee
05-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Have you tried a magic eraser? My dishwasher took the designs off of our funtainers, too, , so I haven't tried it myself...but there hasn't been anything the magic eraser couldn't take off..including sharpie from the carpet and dried up grape juice off leather car interior.

abstonka
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the tip on the magic erasers. I ended up selling my stash of the Hannah Montana funtainers, but I will try some of these other ideas next time we are tired of our other ones.

jammytoast
05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
I repainted them with Rust-Oleum metal paint. Looked too hard for me to take off. Would try contact paper next time, too....

Melaine
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
What did ya'll determine was the best method? Thinking about personalizing one for a birthday gift.

KimMae
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I used sandpaper and it left a swirly metal pattern that I like.