PDA

View Full Version : Update in post 26: Can't Decide whether to take stroller-Please talk me down!

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Ugh - so we are going on a 5 day trip for the weekend to visit family (Buffalo) and spend 1 night in Toronto. DH and I have gone through the logistics ad nauseum and I think we're NOT going to bring the BJCM + Freerider, but I keep going back and forth.

Here's where we may need a stroller:
- We'll have 2 flights with a 1.5 hour layover in both directions. DD could be pushed through the airport instead of being worn.
- Fri I'll have both DC's alone at the science center, both kids could ride instead of wearing DD and DS walking.
- Fri night/Sat we'll be walking around and doing touristy things. We'd have the option not to wear DD, we can go further and faster if DS has the Freerider.
- Wearing DD plus the kids diaper bag backpack may exhaust me.
- If DS gets tired at any point in the journey he could ride.

But, why we don't think we need it:
- We already have 2 checked bags, DS's carseat on a GoGoKids, DD's carseat carried on DH's backpack., backpacks each. With the stroller that's 4 rolling items for 4 adult hands. I want DH to drop me off with the kids and bags so we don't have to ride the parking shuttle (no carseats on the freeway freaks me out) and I can't possibly handle it all with the stroller.
- Will have to fold/unfold stroller on jetway each way, just one more thing to maneuver through airport.
- I can wear DD at the science museum and DH can wear her when we're together. She's still light, we'll use the Pikkolo which is super easy and comfortable.
- We can always put her in the carseat+GoGoKids to wheel through the airport while DS walks.
- We can potentially borrow a cheap umbrella in Buffalo, maybe (note that I have a low tolerance for cheap umbrellas)

All logistical reasons are leaning towards no stroller for the weekend, babywearing only. But I am seriously nervous to try that. The new BJCM bag is sitting here waiting to be opened or returned to Amazon. Send it back and leave the stroller, we can go stroller free for 5 days, right?

candaceb
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
We had a similar debate for a weekend trip to visit family at the beginning of April - I guess one big difference would be that DS was about 25 pounds then so he gets heavy in the Ergo. We ended up being very happy we had the stroller. I pushed the stroller and pulled one suitcase. DH pulled the other suitcase and the carseat on a gogokidz.

The time we were happiest that we made the decision to bring the stroller was on a hot day (85 degrees at least) when we wanted to visit a park, and the playground was in the middle - at least a 10 minute walk. It would have gotten sweaty with DS in the ergo.

BabyBearsMom
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I would bring the stroller but no free rider. Then you can wear DD when DS needs to ride but have DD in the stroller otherwise. Plus that makes folding on the jetway easy and you could put a bunch of stuff in the stroller while in the airport.

crl
05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
I'd bring the stroller and jigger the rest of the luggage around as necessary. Even if your dh drops you off, he can keep sme of the luggage and bring it back with him. Check as much as you can curbside. Bungie cord the car seat to the stroller if possible. And so on.

Catherine

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Ha ha, I knew I was asking a bunch of enablers!

CRL - do you know if you can do curbside at SFO (United) if you pre-check your bags online? I never check for biz trips so I don't know the latest. That would help me a lot. (I need to search the website I guess)

The FreeRider actually doesn't add much setup, we'd only put it on as needed and it should fit in the stroller bag when we're not using it. I wouldn't bother with it on the jetway but its really handy when I'm out with both kids.

WatchingThemGrow
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I will never take a trip without a stroller with kids under 5. They just need someplace comfortable and familiar to rest and hang out. It's just too hard on everyone. As far as the number of rolling items, those rolling luggage carts are helpful and not too expensive. Getting a porter is also nice.

roseyloxs
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I am nervous for you about the science center. Can you check their website, do they have strollers you can rent/borrow? If so then I think you'll be fine without the stroller.

If not then can you experiment with DS's car seat hanging over the BJCM handlebars. If you can make that work then you would still just have 3 things that roll.

I also think I remember people making some sort of strap contraption to tie a car seat to a rolling checked bag. So you could possibly check the car seat and then just attach it to your checked bag when you pick them up at baggage claim.

MamaBear
05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Not a stroller suggestion, just have to say I am *so* jealous that you are going to Toronto! I *love* that city!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

crl
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Ha ha, I knew I was asking a bunch of enablers!

CRL - do you know if you can do curbside at SFO (United) if you pre-check your bags online? I never check for biz trips so I don't know the latest. That would help me a lot. (I need to search the website I guess)

The FreeRider actually doesn't add much setup, we'd only put it on as needed and it should fit in the stroller bag when we're not using it. I wouldn't bother with it on the jetway but its really handy when I'm out with both kids.

Sorry, no idea. We haven't flown for over a year and I pretty much block as many memories of air travel with kids as I can.

Catherine

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I am nervous for you about the science center. Can you check their website, do they have strollers you can rent/borrow? If so then I think you'll be fine without the stroller.

If not then can you experiment with DS's car seat hanging over the BJCM handlebars. If you can make that work then you would still just have 3 things that roll.

I also think I remember people making some sort of strap contraption to tie a car seat to a rolling checked bag. So you could possibly check the car seat and then just attach it to your checked bag when you pick them up at baggage claim.

Yeah, the science center is more of an issue because I'll have to wear DD the entire time and that could be tiring. But I'm only planning to do the IMAX movie (she'll nap if I wear her for it and its about trains so DS will be ok, we've prepped him) and then the kids area. DS is not a runner, and actually without a stroller to maneuver I'll be able to stay closer to him. So I think I can handle it. But I'll not be up for extra wandering after I'm sure.

We'll have 2 carseats. We've done the GoGoKidz thing w/DS in it before, and DH has worn the infant seat off is backpack before. We've just never done both together! But I think we're equipped to do it with both of us there.

Not a stroller suggestion, just have to say I am *so* jealous that you are going to Toronto! I *love* that city!

Any tips or recommendations? I still don't have great rec's for kid-welcoming restaurants on Fri night. We're staying at the harbor. Considering Centre Island on Sat (would require stroller) or something else. I've been to Buffalo about a hundred times but never Toronto.

Multimama
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Why bring the GoGoKidz at all? Use luggage straps or bungee cords or whatever you have to strap the carseat into the stroller seat and leave the GoGoKidz at home. You definitely want to get it so that you have one free hand out of your four hands at the airport. (We did the no free hands thing once and it was such a mistake, I would pay to check a bag before I would do that again.). But I don't think the stroller is the thing you want to ditch.

Bring the stroller. It will make your trip much more enjoyable because you won't be as tired and neither will your kids. But get creative about the other luggage so you can use your stroller to your advantage to free up hands at the airport.

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Why bring the GoGoKidz at all? Use luggage straps or bungee cords or whatever you have to strap the carseat into the stroller seat and leave the GoGoKidz at home. You definitely want to get it so that you have one free hand out of your four hands at the airport. (We did the no free hands thing once and it was such a mistake, I would pay to check a bag before I would do that again.). But I don't think the stroller is the thing you want to ditch.

Bring the stroller. It will make your trip much more enjoyable because you won't be as tired and neither will your kids. But get creative about the other luggage so you can use your stroller to your advantage to free up hands at the airport.

We're checking the 2 bags already. So once the bags are checked we're only rolling the stroller and the GoGoKidz, we'd each have a free hand.

The Blvd is much easier to roll than carry, and a DC can ride in it or we throw our backpacks in it. I'm not sure it would work to hang a Blvd off a BJCM, but it doesn't seem necessary. (and I don't want to buy a travel carseat btw) So essentially we'd have 2 strollers in the airport - the Blvd on the GoGoKidz and the BJCM - and each be wearing a backpack. Sounds very doable put that way.

But the other holdup I'm having is the packing/unpacking of the BJCM into the bag w/ wheels removed. Seems like a hassle with people waiting on the jetway. DH wants to bring the Mac 4 seasons for the easier fold into the bag. But I prefer the 1 handed push and consider the BJCM easier to fold. I pull the wheels off all the time but not while others are waiting for me. So that's another possible point of debate - which stroller will make life easier.

Multimama
05-22-2012, 02:18 PM
We're checking the 2 bags already. So once the bags are checked we're only rolling the stroller and the GoGoKidz, we'd each have a free hand.

The Blvd is much easier to roll than carry, and a DC can ride in it or we throw our backpacks in it. I'm not sure it would work to hang a Blvd off a BJCM, but it doesn't seem necessary. (and I don't want to buy a travel carseat btw) So essentially we'd have 2 strollers in the airport - the Blvd on the GoGoKidz and the BJCM - and each be wearing a backpack. Sounds very doable put that way.

But the other holdup I'm having is the packing/unpacking of the BJCM into the bag w/ wheels removed. Seems like a hassle with people waiting on the jetway. DH wants to bring the Mac 4 seasons for the easier fold into the bag. But I prefer the 1 handed push and consider the BJCM easier to fold. I pull the wheels off all the time but not while others are waiting for me. So that's another possible point of debate - which stroller will make life easier.

Oh, okay. I was thinking you had two roll-ons. I think if you have two hands and two rolling objects then you will be totally fine! You can do it and it will be worth it. Putting the BJCM in the bag is about 1 minute of awkwardness and will make the whole rest of your trip nicer. Don't take the stroller that will make life easier for other people (the passengers waiting in line), take the stroller that will make life easier for you!

And really, they shouldn't be in such a huge hurry to get on the plane anyway. It's not like you putting your stroller in a bag is going to make the plane late for take off. So all you did was deprive them of the privilege of sitting in their seat for an extra moment or two and really they are going to be sitting in that seat for so long anyway they should be thanking you!

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh, okay. I was thinking you had two roll-ons. I think if you have two hands and two rolling objects then you will be totally fine! You can do it and it will be worth it. Putting the BJCM in the bag is about 1 minute of awkwardness and will make the whole rest of your trip nicer. Don't take the stroller that will make life easier for other people (the passengers waiting in line), take the stroller that will make life easier for you!

And really, they shouldn't be in such a huge hurry to get on the plane anyway. It's not like you putting your stroller in a bag is going to make the plane late for take off. So all you did was deprive them of the privilege of sitting in their seat for an extra moment or two and really they are going to be sitting in that seat for so long anyway they should be thanking you!

Ha Ha - yes, I know the plane won't take off any earlier. But I'm a seasoned business traveler so being the one with kids and their accoutrements takes me out of my element.

That is my argument for the BJCM - I have to push it alone one day so I get the stroller I like. (We only have the 4 seasons still bc DH won't let me sell it) OK, now that I have several 2nd opinions I need to break it to DH that the stroller is still going with us.

ETA: Only the BBB'ers will understand this: I am trying to go internet free for this trip, no checking message boards. The idea of going 5 days without surfing message boards AND with no stroller was starting to freak me out.

roseyloxs
05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Putting the BJCM in the bag is about 1 minute of awkwardness and will make the whole rest of your trip nicer. Don't take the stroller that will make life easier for other people (the passengers waiting in line), take the stroller that will make life easier for you!

Yea! :thumbsup:

Philly Mom
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I have traveled with my bjcm 4 times in the past year. We were the only people using a bag but it only took a couple minutes to do it. For 2 of those trips I was by myself and put the stroller in the bag while wearing DD. it really is simple. Other passengers were also helpful when needed. One flight a woman instructed her husband to put my stroller wheels on for me. They had left kids behind and felt my pain.

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I have traveled with my bjcm 4 times in the past year. We were the only people using a bag but it only took a couple minutes to do it. For 2 of those trips I was by myself and put the stroller in the bag while wearing DD. it really is simple. Other passengers were also helpful when needed. One flight a woman instructed her husband to put my stroller wheels on for me. They had left kids behind and felt my pain.

That's so sweet... and funny!

Thanks everyone. I forget how much I :heartbeat: the BBB. I will miss it on my 5 internet-free days [with stroller].

Multimama
05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
But I'm a seasoned business traveler so being the one with kids and their accoutrements takes me out of my element.

Yeah, it definitely is a completely different experience of travel. But what I tell DH when he starts to get flustered and rush because of other people is: Our kids are the most important thing. Don't compromise your kids safety or comfort for other people's *perceived* comfort. They can take care of themselves and will be fine. And you can do this!

mom3boys
05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Honestly I would take the stroller. If you can do curbside check-in it would be even easier, but if you can't you only have to roll the luggage to the check in right inside the door, then you'll have enough hands for car seats/stroller through the remainder of the airport. We usually do curbside check in (and I will gate check in infant seat unless I plan on using it in the plane), then DH leaves and parks the car and I just wait inside the airport with the remainder of the stuff and kids until he gets back.

If we can't curbside-check, DH often leaves all the bags and kids with me and then goes himself to park the car and take the airport shuttle back from the lot. We check in/check the luggage when he gets back (I wait just inside the door with him) On occasion a porter sees us and brings the stuff to the passenger check in area. If you give yourself enough time at the airport it is fine.

We typically have 3 pieces of luggage that we check, have had as many as 2 car seats, which we usually check at the desk, + stroller + smaller carry on bags (usually a diaper bag, my purse and a backpack). I like the option of the stroller at my destination, and I like having a stroller at the airport--once through security, it is nice to hang a bag off the back, use the basket, etc, and DH likes to move fast and I think having the stroller helps with this. I don't like babywearing and having to carry a biggish bag as well. That's true of the airport as well as everywhere else.

WatchingThemGrow
05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
We always pack the stroller just before we hand over our boarding passes. It's not a biggie to do it while your DC sit on the seats at the airport.

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 06:09 PM
OK, I verified that I can check in early AND do curbside check in at SFO. Also, I have Clear (http://clearme.com), so I can take the kids through with me and security is WAY less of a hassle. When the old Clear was at SFO they were actually helpful. DH needs to get his own free trial card or he'll be going through the long security line on his own.

So the airport process will hopefully be not so bad. Also the itinerary is looking like we'll have more time in Toronto on our own so the stroller will make that more enjoyable.

Decision made - going to take the bag out of the box and practice tonight.

swissair81
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I would take a stroller. This is not said as an enabler, but rather your friendly sanity adviser.

ckelly
05-24-2012, 03:35 AM
I took a 3 year old and a newborn to New Zealand last year from TN. I pushed the stroller with one hand, pulled a rolling carry-on, ODD in the stroller, wore YDD, infant carrier off the stroller handle. Dh pulled another rolling carryon with radian attached using the latch straps, carried diaper bag, laptop bag and wore a backpack. Oy, we were a sight!

Still-in-Shock
05-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I didn't realize that Clear had a free trial available. When they come to our city, we will have to see if that is still good.

BayGirl2
05-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I didn't realize that Clear had a free trial available. When they come to our city, we will have to see if that is still good.

It's free for spouses/family if you already have a membership. I had time remaining on my membership from before it shut down a few years ago. Not sure if there is a free trial for just anyone, but there do seem to be some deals around.

If you travel a lot its so nice to bypass the wait.

BayGirl2
05-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Update: You guys were right, as always. Stroller was indispensable for us during the trip and in the airport. We ended up with more tourist time than planned in Toronto and also went to Niagara Falls, DD spent a lot of time riding and DS used it for some rest. But most importantly, I ended up having to get both kids all the way to the gate and almost departed without DH because he left a bag (with his passport) at home and had to go all the way back to get it. Duh!?! He made it and all was well. Kids were well behaved the entire trip too!

Our only issues was dealing with gate agents/gate check baggage handlers who decided on their own implementation of the rules to make our lives harder. In Dulles a gate check guy refused to let us bring DS's carseat on board, even though he had a paid seat. After much argument and DH going all the way back up the jetway and involving 2 others, he finally let us have it. It was airline approved, his contention was that no car seats are ever allowed on board.

The other issue was on another regional plane on the way back, the gate agent claimed we could only gate check a car seat OR a stroller, not both. She claimed that they carrying DD's infant seat up and down the stairs was hazardous and therefore it had to be checked through to SFO. I wanted it returned at the jetway for various safety reasons, as they had for all our other flights. She printed out the policy and it still doesn't make sense to me. But apparently if the carseat is part of the stroller it counts as one, so if I had bought a cheap travel system or the adaptor bar for my BJCM I would have been fine, but since I choose not to leave my baby in a carseat all the time, I can't have it gate checked with the stroller. Whatever. I gave up but she eventually gave me the stupid green tag and the carseat made it safely. My observation is that its the small regional "operated by" airlines that make it more difficult, I never have issues flying from SFO or Ohare.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback. I also have some thoughts on the newer version of the BJCM travel bag, but maybe I'll post a different thread.

roseyloxs
05-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Mind if I ask who you flew with? In one of the travel threads someone else said that United told them on the phone that they could bring the car seat or the stroller but if they wanted to bring both they would have to pay for one. They did not have a seat for their newborn though.

Glad the stroller worked out for you guys. :D

BayGirl2
05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Mind if I ask who you flew with? In one of the travel threads someone else said that United told them on the phone that they could bring the car seat or the stroller but if they wanted to bring both they would have to pay for one. They did not have a seat for their newborn though.

Glad the stroller worked out for you guys. :D

This was United. We did not have a seat for the baby, just for DS. We had DS's carseat for on the plane, and a stroller + DD's carseat to gate check. Apparently the issue is gate checking both to pick them up on the jetway vs. checking them through to the destination. They also said that DS's carseat (which he was sitting in in a paid seat) counted as a carry on for him.

In terms of checking stroller + carseat I believe they only allow one free. I'd have to check the United site to be sure though.

However I guess if you wheeled a travel system with carseat sitting in the stroller down the jetway they'd only count it as one. I saw plenty of people doing that with no hassle.

roseyloxs
06-01-2012, 04:12 AM
However I guess if you wheeled a travel system with carseat sitting in the stroller down the jetway they'd only count it as one. I saw plenty of people doing that with no hassle.

That's a backwards policy since its still two pieces as far as the workers on the jetway are concerned.

It sounds annoying that your DS's car seat counts as a carry on but since you get a carry on and a personal item I can't imagine this would become an issue for most people.