PDA

View Full Version : BJCM Silly Question

jh75
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I just got my new BJCM and I LOVE it, but I'm not sure about one little thing. The instructions say to always snap the safety strap before using the stroller & then you have to unsnap it before folding it up. Is that really true?

Multimama
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Nobody does it.

But I think they are required to have some kind of safety mechanism to prevent 'accidental' folding, so that is why you are instructed to use those snaps.

It annoys me that they made the snap straps on the new BJCMs red. Red? Was that really necessary?? I'm still not going to use them and now they are an eye sore on my gorgeous stroller.

jh75
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks! I think my DH will love this stroller, but I was afraid he wouldn't remember to do that so I'm glad its not a big deal either way. :)

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Never snapped them on my single or my Summit double. Yeah, way to make a super easy fold very complicated. I don't see how it could possibly close with a child in it since the weight is pushing the opposite direction of the fold mechanism pull strap, so I don't lose sleep over it.

spannaz
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Haven't tried one, but could it be that if you have the belt harness on only (or whole harness and just can't see it :p), and forget about it, and try and lift baby out of stroller, then the stroller may pull up and try to fold?

Multimama
05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Haven't tried one, but could it be that if you have the belt harness on only (or whole harness and just can't see it :p), and forget about it, and try and lift baby out of stroller, then the stroller may pull up and try to fold?

Nope. It requires a lot of force and the right angle. You'd have to be really yanking on your baby!! If it's even possible.

Multimama
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I could see the safety snaps being useful if your kids are around the stroller unsupervised. A child who knows how to fold the stroller and tries to do it themselves could get hurt or hurt another child and the snaps are pretty hard to undo so it's much less likely a young child could do it themselves. I think most of the 'accidental' folding safety mechanisms are really for children rather than for adults anyway.

I remember playing with our umbrella stroller as a kid and pushing my friends around in it. I think the safety snaps are for kids like me.

BayGirl2
05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I could see the safety snaps being useful if your kids are around the stroller unsupervised. A child who knows how to fold the stroller and tries to do it themselves could get hurt or hurt another child and the snaps are pretty hard to undo so it's much less likely a young child could do it themselves. I think most of the 'accidental' folding safety mechanisms are really for children rather than for adults anyway.

I remember playing with our umbrella stroller as a kid and pushing my friends around in it. I think the safety snaps are for kids like me.

That's a good point. Potentially a 5 year old or older could try to fold it themselves. I don't think a very young child could. If anyone under 30 lbs is able to pull and lift both straps on my Summit XC Double I'll be signing them up for competitions.