PDA

View Full Version : Another sinus infection

HIU8
05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Joy. At least it's only #1 for 2012. We are in for at least 4-6 more by years end (that is DD's MO). Thank goodness the new ped didn't give me some crap about culturing her snot before he would prescribe meds. That is why I love our ENT and now the new ped. They seem to just get it and DD is able to get better much faster.

Philly Mom
05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Hugs to you and DD. As an fyi, I was that child, and once I turned 23/24 everything improved greatly. I have less than 1 a year now.

HIU8
05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks. I feel so bad for her. Every single cold she gets turns in to a sinus infection. Her airway is just so narrow that any mucous buildup triggers bacteria to start to grow. She lives on Claritin, Benadryl, saline and nasonex pretty much all year and still manages to get colds that morph.

Philly Mom
05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
I admit I still live on all those things, but they really work now. I spent the first 16 weeks of pregnancy miserable because I was not taking anything, could not breathe, and could not get rid of it. At 16 weeks, my OB and primary care MD told me to start taking the nasal steroid again. Made a world of difference. Has her ENT suggested surgery? I did not have any but it was discussed through much of my teen years. Instead, my ENT had me change my diet. No chocolate, tomato, onions, soda, etc. The change in diet did not last through college but when I was on it, it did help.

HIU8
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
At 2 1/2 my DD had her tonsils and adenoids out. She also had tubes put in b/c she had excessive thick fluid in her ear that caused a hearing loss (thank you speech therapy for helping with that). She is supposed to stay off of all dairy products. She drinks rice milk (but not all the time). She is a dairy feind. We ended up going fat free for all dairy b/c we were told by the allergist and the ENT that the fat in dairy products contributes to mucous buildup. No on talked to us about chocolate tomato onoins and soda (although DD is not allowed soda at this point).

Philly Mom
05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Your poor DD. She sounds like she has been through a lot. I also had speech therapy. My ENT told me there is a correlation between reflux and ENT issues.

HIU8
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
She is my non reflux baby. Go figure. DS had severe reflux. We ended up at children's hospital with him. He was on alimentum and didn't drink milk until age 2. We had to give him prevacid suspension 2x/day. We bought the packets and had to mix it ourselves. He, of course, had a series of ear infections before age 1. Then they magically went away and he has not had one in 6 years.