PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't I loosing weight?

lcarlson90
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I have been on Jenny Craig since October and have been loosing a little each week (most weeks). I lost the weight on diet alone. I decided I wanted to tone up as well so I started doing the 30 day shred on May 1st. I have done it for at least 4 days/week. The first week I dropped almost 2 pounds which was great but the last 2 weeks I haven't lost anything. I have been sticking to my diet so what gives? I thought once I added exercise I would loose more weight but it almost feels like the opposite.

elbenn
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
You might be converting fat to muscle. Muscle weighs more so it won't show up as weight loss on the scale, but it will show on how your clothes fit.

DietCokeLover
05-23-2012, 04:39 PM
You might be converting fat to muscle. Muscle weighs more so it won't show up as weight loss on the scale, but it will show on how your clothes fit.

:yeahthat:

weech
05-23-2012, 04:43 PM

:yeahthat: I would recommend taking your measurements and using that as a weekly standard instead of weight. There have definitely been weeks where I lost inches and did not lose pounds.

lcarlson90
05-23-2012, 06:00 PM

This is what I thought at first too but then I thought I read that this is a myth. It does seem like my legs have a little less fat and more muscle.

I thought maybe it was because I wasn't eating enough calories now that I am working out.

Katigre
05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
This is what I thought at first too but then I thought I read that this is a myth. It does seem like my legs have a little less fat and more muscle.

I thought maybe it was because I wasn't eating enough calories now that I am working out.
That could be it too - if you haven't bumped up your fuel intake for increased body action your body might interpret it as 'starvation mode' and hold onto what it can.

kijip
06-11-2012, 11:54 PM
This is what I thought at first too but then I thought I read that this is a myth.

Definitely not a myth. Muscle is more dense.

Also, eating too few calories will slow you down weight loss wise. I have experienced this first hand. Eating more, quality foods will help you lose weight especially when you are exercising.

cono0507
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I have had to switch to measurements (waist, hips and thigh circumference) to track progress rather than weight. I weigh the same now that I did a year ago but have gone down a size in clothes and have visibly lost fat and developed a lot more muscle. I still get annoyed when I step on the scale but then remember the inches I've lost.

nfowife
06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Do take measurements. And while, technically, you can't "convert" fat to muscle, you are hopefully losing fat while at the same time building muscle. Muscle is more dense and heavy than fat. Hang in there! It's going to be a bit up and down with a few plateaus....you want to look at the overall picture and you are doing great!

Mopey
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Definitely not a myth. Muscle is more dense.

Also, eating too few calories will slow you down weight loss wise. I have experienced this first hand. Eating more, quality foods will help you lose weight especially when you are exercising.

This :) Muscle and fat are two different cell types and they don't convert into one another. Try more lean protein. I just read about a study where after 8 weeks the women who had consumed 2 eggs at breakfast (great protein) had lost 18% more weight than those who didn't.

Keep on truckin' :)