PDA

View Full Version : Big, cheap and wooden train set? Help Train experts!

infomama
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Dd2 fell head over heels for this Thomas train set at a local eatery. She knows nothing of Thomas she just thought the experience of snapping the trains together and running them down the track was really fun. This one had inclines to run the train up and a little station as well. There are some listings on Craigslist but I have no idea what the individual parts will make!
Example...

29 straight tracks
44 curved tracks
6 ramps
2 y-tracks
15 trains
3 bridges
5 animals

They want $95. Thats about double what I want to spend. I have no concept of what the above will make. I need some guidance from those in the know.
I read that Maxim is good, too and about half the price of the Thomas suff.

swrc00
05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
If that is everything you listed, I think $95 would be a fair price. It would give you a pretty good layout as well. I would also verify that it is all Thomas. We have the wooden Thomas set and DS loves it. He played with it for a long time before he ever took interest in the show. I am sure others can chime in about other train systems.

infomama
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
If that is everything you listed, I think $95 would be a fair price. It would give you a pretty good layout as well. I would also verify that it is all Thomas. We have the wooden Thomas set and DS loves it. He played with it for a long time before he ever took interest in the show. I am sure others can chime in about other train systems.

They list it as Thomas the Train assortment. Just ask or inspect it?

infomama
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe I should consider this set?
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Railway/dp/B000FIN2E8

jgenie
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I would start with a basic set. If you have an AC Moore near you, you can use a 40% off coupon to buy a set. I think $95 is high for that set on craigslist. We started with a basic oval set (thomas) and a Target brand (Circo) figure 8 set. We added trains as I was able to find them on clearance.

lalasmama
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM
We did the $20 set that Target puts out each Christmas, it their "generic" children's toys (hope that makes sense--you know, they have the $5, $10, $15, $20 toys in the plain boxes).

Two of those sets would give PLENTY of track and like 8 train cars. Then you could, if you wanted, buy a Thomas station or such, and still be around $60.

DD is 8yo, DNiece is 10. They STILL play with the trains when/if I bring them out. I'll admit that they always trend a bit young, but, really, how many toys bought when kids are a year old will still be played with 5+ years later???

wellyes
05-24-2012, 12:31 AM
If you have an ikea nearby, they have a nice enough starter set for $20. Not sure the age of your daughter, but it's enough to start unless she is 3.5+. If she likes it, you can always add on. Most wooden sets are compatible, you do not need to start with official (more expensive) Thomas stuff even if that's where you are heading.

$95 is a fair price but, in my opinion, a few tracks and a train table are more valuable than a lot of tracks without a table. I know it seems like any table would do, but having a small lip + the right height really does make a difference.

sariana
05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I If she likes it, you can always add on. Most wooden sets are compatible, you do not need to start with official (more expensive) Thomas stuff even if that's where you are heading.

:yeahthat: Most sets are compatible, though some work better together than others. (We have found that some have a pretty tight fit, but some sand paper can help with that.)

Thomas sets do have a different look, though. The tracks have "railroad ties" on one side and a road center divider line (the dotted kind) on the other. We have a few Thomas tracks mixed in with a bunch of other brands (Target, generic from Costco, Imaginarium), and my kids never seem to care that some pieces have the markings on them. But it is something to be aware of.

Honestly, I would try Freecycle or something before paying much of anything, if possible. Sometimes the toys that make kids go ga-ga a the store are just meh at home. And I bet a lot of people have old tracks around that you could get your hands on for little or no money. There's no need to have a formal "set," especially to start.

scriptkitten
05-24-2012, 06:11 AM
I'd take the Craigslist lot. Thomas trains don't fit under the ikea bridge. None of the sets you'd find on amazon give you the versatility of that lot

infomama
05-24-2012, 06:26 AM
No Ikea near us. I think I'm going to look around and keep my budget at $40. I never really thought about setting that thing up/keeping it somewhere. I'm not getting a train table but I have a lower coffee table I could bring up from the basement that would do.
Lots of great input....thanks SO much everyone.

Gena
05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
TRU is having an unadvertised sale on Brio wooden trains in-store only (not online). They are 60% off and it ends on Saturday. It's a great brand, very high quality, and rarely goes on sale.

I got some great deals for DS's collection and picked up an extra set to donate to his summer program.

larig
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
we have tons of Thomas stuff here, DS loves it. He got hooked at preschool, where they have a HUGE collection of Thomas stuff.

We don't have a table and have always used the floor, as we did at coop preschool too. Tables are nice, but are too small for some of the really elaborate tracks DS and I build. We have mostly Thomas & friends stuff, but a few ikea pieces too (there are some connector/switching pieces that they make that are hard to find in the thomas stuff--like this v-shaped one).

We bought Thomas because DS was into the characters after he watched some of the old ones on netflix. The engines are pricey normally, but can be found for $5 at TJ Maxx sometimes (my mom got DS a bunch at xmas there).

pomegranate
05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe I should consider this set?
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Railway/dp/B000FIN2E8

That's a great starter set and very affordable. We went down the Thomas wooden path but in hindsight, if I had to do it all over again, would've gone with the M&D set. M&D wooden track are compatible with Thomas wooden track. The only thing is that I think M&D track can only be used one side, whereas the Thomas track you can turn over and also use. I've seen that M&D set vary widely in pricing, going as far down as $50 on Amazon.

Thomas track are slightly better quality, but with the M&D set you'll know you have a whole set that works together.

I recently saw the Ikea set too, and would consider that as well. I think it's smaller but a lot cheaper. They didn't have that when DS was into trains, but Ikea did have the trains and they were compatible with our Thomas/M&D track.

Momit
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
If you have an ikea nearby, they have a nice enough starter set for $20. Not sure the age of your daughter, but it's enough to start unless she is 3.5+. If she likes it, you can always add on. Most wooden sets are compatible, you do not need to start with official (more expensive) Thomas stuff even if that's where you are heading.

$95 is a fair price but, in my opinion, a few tracks and a train table are more valuable than a lot of tracks without a table. I know it seems like any table would do, but having a small lip + the right height really does make a difference.

:yeahthat:

We had wooden tracks from Thomas, Plan, and IKEA. Then we lucked into a table and tons of accessories for $50 at a garage sale, including tracks, trains and everything else you see on the table:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31MJvZLk5pL._SX300_.jpg