PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for bird loving 5 year old

kristac
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
DS2 is obsessed with birds right now. Trying to think of some gifts for his upcoming bday. Hit me with your best bird lover gift.

hellokitty
05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Binoculars, bird calling gadget (our local nature center has these hand held units with different bird calls on it, my kids think it's cool), a nice bird feeder(s), esp a hummingbird feeder, get the flying saucer kind. Also, a good bird guide would be nice. I think if you go to a local nature center or museums, you'd easily find a lot of cool stuff. Also, there's a store, I think it's called, "wildbirds unlimited," don't know if it's a national chain or not, but one of my friends is really into birds and she loves that store.

Seitvonzu
05-26-2012, 12:02 PM
I saw this book the other day at B&N and instantly thought of my dad who used to be super into birds before he got super into barbershop singing:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bird-songs-bible-les-beletsky/1103746910?ean=9780594232056

i picked one up at the b&m store and was going to drag it across the country in june when we visit but it is HUGE and HEAVY. i'm a b&n member so i decided just to order it online and have it shipped (free for members), plus i had a 20% coupon :) it was like 19 bucks shipped!

and that other one, that i picked up? we're totally keeping it-- i think my daughter will love it. the book has great illustrations and the sounds are just an added bonus.

CAVEAT: it's NOT a field guide (obviously) it's a HUGE book that needs a table for browsing. we haven't gotten it out yet (our coffee table is rarely clear) so i don't have a real life review yet, just my impressions from seeing it at barnes and noble :)