PDA

View Full Version : Calendar for 3 year old?

Pear
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
DD is a new 3yo and she is constantly asking when we are going to be doing a particular activity. The concept of we will see your cousins on Sunday and you have dance class on Tuesday is hard for her to grasp. I was thinking about a physical calendar where I could graphically represent our plans. My fallback is something I print up, but since it needs to have pictures and not just words I thought it might be easier if I could find a product somewhere. Any ideas?

acmom
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I have seen several versions of wooden framed calendars with the actual calendar part being magnetic - I think Melissa and Doug makes one. They come with a bunch of picture magnets to represent different activities that you can place on the appropriate day. It would be really easy to make your own magnets for it too just by using a pic to represent the activity that you needed and adding a sticky back magnet to the back (they sell them in rolls or sheets at craft and office supply stores).

hbridge
05-25-2012, 06:44 PM
I use a regular paper monthly wall calendar and put stickers for our activities on each day. If I can't find stickers, I simply use clip art or copy logos, print them and paste them on the appropriate day...

belovedgandp
05-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I just print one myself and use the stickers/colors they understand.

We also tell time in "sleeps" - as in we'll go to Grandma's house in 3 sleeps. Started when my oldest wouldn't go to sleep at night and I kept saying you have to sleep so we can do such and such the next day.

Sweetum
05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
How about a visual schedule lie therapists use? I have seen our ST use one for one of her kids back when we were doing ST. She would ave a long board with a long strip of Velcro and had aminated pictures with Velcro that she would put on and take off. another idea is to use post it with stickers on them so you can reuse.