PDA

View Full Version : Newborn cloth diaper pee leakage

sntm
05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
No problems containing the BM poos but leakage, usually from leg openings, at least once daily. We use a variety of AIO diapers - lil joeys, kissaluvs, bumgenius, grovias - all newborn sizes. He does have slightly skinny thighs, so not sure if it's a size issue, a need for stripping, or need for doublers ( which is hard with him still so tiny - it's bulky enough already.) any suggestions?

mikala
05-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Are the diapers saturated when he leaks or does it seem like they should be able to hold more?

If they're saturated I'd try to change him a little more often or add more absorbency with a doubler. Hemp doublers are especially trim and might work for this.

If they aren't saturated it's likely a fit or they need to be stripped. I'm guessing fit since your little guy is fairly new and you haven't had much time to develop detergent build-up yet.

Good luck!

MommyAllison
05-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Probably a size issue. Do you have any prefolds you can use for a few days til his thighs grow a bit?

sntm
05-27-2012, 12:26 AM
They seem pretty wet but i dint know how to compare it, since previous experience was all disposables. We don't have any refolds - I couldn't handle complicated!
I will look for hemp doublers.

hoodlims
05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
It's the skinny legs. For new babies, a prefold with a cover that has double leg gussets works best. Not too complicated, you can always Youtube. :)

mikala
05-27-2012, 12:57 AM
If it turns out that it's a fit issue you may want to see if there are any other snap/closure adjustments that may make it snugger around baby's thighs.

Is he leaking out of just one side or both simultaneously? If just one you might also look at how baby is aimed when you put on the diaper.

Here are some hemp options: http://www.nickisdiapers.com/hemp-inserts-and-doublers.html

I've used the Babykicks and Willow ones and both work well. I'm guessing their others would be similar.

Microfiber might also work but you have to be careful not to put it directly against baby's skin because it can cause irritation. It's best behind a layer of fleece or under other layers.

teo
05-27-2012, 02:03 AM
We liked prefolds with Thirsties Duo covers on the smallest setting for our skinny-legged baby at that age. They have good gussets that keep everything in. (In fairness, we never tried any of the AIOs, but never had a leak with the prefolds in the early months!)

sntm
05-27-2012, 01:07 PM
The lil joeys with double leg gussets leak less. It's usual one side and dependent on how he's lying ( he's a side sleeper.) I point him down whenever we change him. Will also try changing more frequently - he screams bloody murder during diaper changes so I sometimes let him go several hours if he hasn't pooped (bad, I know)
I ordered some hemp and cotton inserts from so hopefully those help.

mmommy
05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
My guess is that you just need to change more often.

Melaine
05-27-2012, 01:33 PM
New to CDs here too. I've been using Bumgenius 3.0s, a Fuzzibunz pocket, small g-diapers, and yesterday I just started using the handmedown All Together Deluxe AIOs. DS is 5 weeks old and about 8lbs 8oz. We were having a few leaks at first but it has gotten much better. I wasn't noticing the need to change first of all because you can't "feel" the wetness like you can on sposies...plus I think he was a bit too small......AND I think I wasn't fastening them quite high enough on his waist. I also realized with the g's that I had to make sure the elastic is snug against his skin all the way around (the liner). In my extreme haste (DS is still peeing almost every time I put him on the changing table and his stream is unbelievable.) I wasn't getting the cloth insert tucked in the liner properly.
I would keep adjusting and change a bit more often. We haven't had a leak this week at all and the cloth is working great overall, so keep trying!

daisymommy
05-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately, most AIOs and pockets will do that on a newborn. It's their skinny little bird legs :)

Fitteds or a prefold with a gusset cover contain much better until you hit about 10 pounds.

And definitely change every 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk