PDA

View Full Version : 13month old had thrush now yeast diaper rash appears

okinawama
05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
my son had thrush about two weeks ago. He was put on nystatin, I had no symptoms, so the doctor didn't treat me. I made sure to keep my breasts clean and dry, and also used monistat on them "just in case." I never developed any symptoms and the nystatin seemed to take care of the thrush in my son.

However, my son has now developed what looks like a yeast rash in his diaper area. I just started treating it with diaper cream and allowing him diaper free time outside (in the hot and extremely dry climate of the desert). It doesn't appear to be responding to the treatment.

Can I use over the counter monistat to treat the rash? If he has a yeast diaper rash does that mean that the thrush is going to come back (we are using a probiotic in hopes of helping his gut)? We also cloth diaper, and he's been in disposables because I've heard that yeast can be awful to get rid of in cloth, but I'm wondering if putting him in cotton prefolds would be worth the hassle because they allow much more breathability.

Liziz
05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd call your pedi and see if the can prescribe Nystatin ointment....DD had a yeast diaper rash, and regular diaper cream and diaper-free time didn't do anything. It responded right away to the nystatin ointment.

teo
05-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Our doctor has always had us treat yeast diaper rash with OTC clotrimazole cream (what's in some, but not all, yeast infection/athlete's foot creams). With a recent case of thrush, though, I'd call regardless to avoid round two! Nystatin may be stronger.

lizzywednesday
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
I'd call your pedi and see if the can prescribe Nystatin ointment....DD had a yeast diaper rash, and regular diaper cream and diaper-free time didn't do anything. It responded right away to the nystatin ointment.

:yeahthat:

Nystatin ointment was the only thing that worked with my DD's yeast rash. For the super-awful one she had when she was 9 months old, we also used a 10% cortizone cream, but you'd have to ask your pediatrician if that's OK. I bought disposable gloves so I could apply the Nystatin, cortizone and diaper cream (we used Boudreaux's Butt Paste) without worrying about cross-contamination.

Also adding baking soda to your DC's bath helps with the irritation.

For your cloth dipes, add a few drops of tea tree oil to your hot wash and be sure to wash on your HOTTEST water setting. I might add a flushable liner like ImseVimse (which are scratchy, but thicker than Bummis) to your prep routine ... and use MotherLove Diaper Rash & Thrush balm on his butt.

Poor kiddo! I hope he feels better!

Melbel
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Vusion prescription cream is what worked like a charm for DD2 who had frequent yeast issues.