PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I definitely need a SBS Double!!!

123LuckyMom
05-28-2012, 11:30 PM
We just came back from a challenging vacation weekend with 3.5 yr old DS and 9 wk old DD. DS did NOT like seeing DD riding in "his" stroller! He let her ride but kept wanting "a turn." It was really annoying! About 10 times each day he said, "Mama, we need a stroller with TWO seats. Can we get a stroller with TWO seats so we can both ride?" I, of course, gave DH the stink eye each time, because I wanted to get a double before the baby came along, but DH felt we didn't need to make a big purchase for the few times we'd use it. He's still resistant. He wants us to get a less expensive stroller, but I feel we're only going to use it at parks, zoos, Disney, and on lots of dirt roads, so we'll want it to have a good push and decent tires, though "forever air" would be fine. Am I wrong? I know DS should suck it up and walk, which normally he would do, but with DD riding... Besides, MY feet are killing me. If there were a stroller I could fit in... So please throw your recs at me. Here's my dream wish list in order of priority:

Separate and full recline
HUGE and independent canopies
Bumper Bar
Big seat to accommodate DS until he's 12 ;)
Good push
Big basket
Ability for one seat to reverse ( I only know of the Stroll Air My Duo that does this, but the seats are too small for DS)

Which SBS double gives me the closest match to my dream stroller, and could I buy an earlier year to save some money and mollify DH? I know you guys will know!

roseyloxs
05-29-2012, 06:25 AM
BJCMD GT
Mountain buggy +one

I would give up on the reversible seat. Unless you want to look at tandems like the B-ready. Another option is to start carrying your newborn and let your toddler have the stroller. You should be able to comfortably carry your infant until 6 months and maybe your ds will be over the stroller thing. Would a ride along board like the mountain free rider or valco hitchhiker appease him? It wouldn't be a seat but he wouldn't have to walk either. In a pinch my ds has sat on our hitchhiker indian style.

123LuckyMom
05-29-2012, 06:52 AM
That would be ideal, but I have a back problem and can't carry DD, especially not all day and for a string of days together. I would also die from the heat. I don't handle heat well. Also, DS's big thing is playing with the bumper bar and the canopy. He COULD use a hitchhiker, but he could also just walk. He desires to do neither, so I'm trying to keep the peace! :). I'm absolutely willing to give up on the reversible seat. The GT was my intention from the beginning, and that may be what I choose, but if there's a way to save money with an earlier model stroller, I'd love to know about that, too.

roseyloxs
05-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Men can carry babies too... but anyway I hear what your saying. Google is telling me that you can get...

Valco twin trimode - $580 (http://www.babyage.com/strollers/valco-baby-strollers/valco-baby-tri-mode-ex-twin-stroller-79245.htm#.)
Mountain buggy duo - $488 (http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Buggy-Duo-Stroller-Flint/dp/B0037AEXFI)
BOB revolution - $510 (no bumper bar) (http://www.amazon.com/BOB-Revolution-Duallie-Stroller-Navy/dp/B004DC9TCQ)
BOB SUS (no swivel wheel or bumper bar) - $398 (http://www.albeebaby.com/bob-sport-utility-stroller-duallie-double-stroller-orange.html)

I bet the ladies here can find you something better though.. That was only after a couple of minutes of searching.

The valco zee is $500 (http://www.amazon.com/Valco-2012-ZEE-Double-Stroller/dp/B007Q21VBM) on amazon but it has hard rubber wheels (not even forever air). Also saw mention of AT tires being available eventually for the zee stroller. Of course that would add to the price though.

The valco page also pointed me to the zee spark duo which does have reversible seats and pneumatic tires. I have no idea how much its going to cost but it is supposed to come out mid-July. I am going to start a new thread and find out if anyone else has any info on it.

BabyBearsMom
05-29-2012, 09:02 AM
We just came back from a challenging vacation weekend with 3.5 yr old DS and 9 wk old DD. DS did NOT like seeing DD riding in "his" stroller! He let her ride but kept wanting "a turn." It was really annoying! About 10 times each day he said, "Mama, we need a stroller with TWO seats. Can we get a stroller with TWO seats so we can both ride?" I, of course, gave DH the stink eye each time, because I wanted to get a double before the baby came along, but DH felt we didn't need to make a big purchase for the few times we'd use it. He's still resistant. He wants us to get a less expensive stroller, but I feel we're only going to use it at parks, zoos, Disney, and on lots of dirt roads, so we'll want it to have a good push and decent tires, though "forever air" would be fine. Am I wrong? I know DS should suck it up and walk, which normally he would do, but with DD riding... Besides, MY feet are killing me. If there were a stroller I could fit in... So please throw your recs at me. Here's my dream wish list in order of priority:

Separate and full recline
HUGE and independent canopies
Bumper Bar
Big seat to accommodate DS until he's 12 ;)
Good push
Big basket
Ability for one seat to reverse ( I only know of the Stroll Air My Duo that does this, but the seats are too small for DS)

Which SBS double gives me the closest match to my dream stroller, and could I buy an earlier year to save some money and mollify DH? I know you guys will know!
Does it have to be a sbs? We love our b-ready and it hits your list. My 2 yo DD loves her "special tunnel seat". The front canopy is huge the back is small but the front seat shades it. The front seat has an included bumper bar. The seats are ample. DD1 is enormous (95th percentile) and she has tons of space in both seats whereas she can't fit in a Bob or a bumbleride Indie bc she is so tall.
The push is great and the 2012 has forever air tires which I'm sure make it better. The basket is huge and even when DD1 is sitting in the back seat, I can fit my good sized diaper bag underneath. There is zipper access in front so you can get to the basket even when the back seat is occupied. The top seat is reversible which I love. Both seatS recline. The back has a flat recline the top is technically 6 months+ but my 1mo is fine in it with a snuzzler or some rolled up receiving blankets.

spannaz
05-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Valco Trimode if you want true air tires, or BJCMD-GT if the small forever air will do. Both have extra tall seats. Although my first instinct was a BOB for the great push without listing to the side of the heavier rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckelly
05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
My ODD is 4 next month and my YDD is one. We got a double (b-ready) when ODD was 3 and YDD was a NB. We use it a lot. ODD is still a regular rider and really, for big days out and theme parks and such it really comes in handy. My dh was resistant on the idea of a double too because he doesn't really realise how easily a preschooler can tire after a long day. But we only had the BR a week when he finally admitted how much we still needed it. He loves that thing now.

AnnieW625
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
We got a Bob Rev. Duallie, it was a great stroller and we used it until about 2 months ago. If my girl's were closer together in age I probably would have gone with the Phil & Ted's Explorer stroller. Friends of ours with babies less than 3 yes. apart loved them. If I were in the predicament now I might consider the MB+One, but was super happy with the Bob Duallie.

todzwife
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I was going to ask the same "does it have to be a SBS?" because I absolutely LOVE my b-ready for my 6 year old (she's tiny and tires easily) and my 2 year old. It's fantastic because if the 6 YO or the 2 YO want to walk, I'm not pushing a huge SBS stroller. Since both of them are perfectly ABLE to walk, it's nice not having something so wide.

moll73
05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
I just played around with doubles at BBB for the 2nd time this month. I keep coming back to the GT, even though I'd like something more fun! I have tall kids who are 6, 3, and 17 months. Ne baby is due in December, but I will probably wear him or her mostly. My 6yo DD was my tester both times. I think it's pretty universal that many toddlers don't like to be strapped in, but preschoolers love to ride! I was really surprised at how well my 6yo fit in the bottom seat of the B-ready (with her legs in the basket), even though she's way over the weight limit. Although she didn't seem to fit as well in the top seat. I am not crazy about the fold and it just seems really LARGE, especially the tires. I didn't think the push was that great either, but maybe I had one of the brakes on or something!? I was also disappointed to see that if you have the top seat reversed, you can't really have another child in the bottom seat. B-ready users and lovers, please inform me if I am wrong! Anyway, for my situation and having taller, older kids, and limited space in my car, I think I have to go with the GT. I really wanted to see the Valco Zee IRL, but they did not have it. I am intrigued by the Spark, but would love something now. One other thought is maybe you could get by with the 2011 City Mini Double over the GT and save some $$?? Good luck, it's such a hard decision!

abh5e8
05-29-2012, 03:21 PM
for paved areas...so parks, zoos, disney, etc...i liked the BJCMD. my dc were about those ages...newly 3 years and 18 months, and i loved the individual reclines and canopies. the push was fine for pavement. what are your dirt roads like? i'm not sure the GT would be that much better. for dirt roads i would want big, air tires.

have you check CL for an old school SBS BJ? we have 1 with a fixed wheel that is awesome on dirt trials. but, it has only1 canopy and no real recline. thats a tough list, but i'm sure you will be happier with a double then you are without :)

123LuckyMom
05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
I really do think I want a SBS. I'm afraid the jealousy factor may continue to be an issue if the seats are not equal. Also, I'm not so worried about the size of the thing, because we'll be using it outdoors. Otherwise I would definitely consider the plus-1 or the b-ready. I've wanted the GT from the beginning. I just don't want to spend the $$, but maybe I'm the one who has to suck it up! Now I see the Valco Zee Spark Duo which has EVERYTHING!!! But I would have to wait until July. :( Does anyone have a Zee? I need to check the dimensions of the seat to see if it will work with my DS. Do you think it will?

legaleagle
05-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Baby gizmo has a zee double review, she always lists seat dimensions.

theriviera
05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I really do think I want a SBS. I'm afraid the jealousy factor may continue to be an issue if the seats are not equal. Also, I'm not so worried about the size of the thing, because we'll be using it outdoors. Otherwise I would definitely consider the plus-1 or the b-ready. I've wanted the GT from the beginning. I just don't want to spend the $$, but maybe I'm the one who has to suck it up! Now I see the Valco Zee Spark Duo which has EVERYTHING!!! But I would have to wait until July. :( Does anyone have a Zee? I need to check the dimensions of the seat to see if it will work with my DS. Do you think it will?

Your DS sounds like my DD1. We had a b-ready and she complained if she had to go in the bottom seat. She only wanted to be in the top seat. Of course, if DD2 was in the bottom then she wanted to be in the bottom :tongue5:

I really like our bumbleride indie twin. It has a bumper bar, all terrain tires, great, independent canopies, a good push and an amazing basket. I will say though the push hasn't been as great as it was in the beginning. It's fine on a flat surface (including rough terrain) but it doesn't push as well up hills as it used to. Of course, we now have 50+ lbs of kids and we put TONS of stuff in the basket. We went to the beach yesterday and we had everything we needed including lunch for all 4 of us in there.

moll73
05-29-2012, 09:37 PM
My reasons for choosing the GT over the Zee are: Not as compact fold, non-adjustable handlebar, and not forever or AT tires (although I am just seeing now that air tires are an option). The seats are pretty much the same, but the GT is about a half inch wider and taller. Zee pros are it's 26 lbs. vs. BJGTD is 32.5 lbs. http://valcobaby.com/fileadmin/pdf/Comparison_Chart_Twin.pdf
I LOVE the colors available for the Bumbleride Indie Twin, but the fold is super bulky and the seats are much smaller.
I haven't bitten the bullet on the GT yet b/c I don't love the colors and I'm waiting on some sort of deal, which I know is rare, if not impossible. It's just so much $$!! Plus, I am kind of holding out to see the Spark, but really could be using something now.
I can't wait to hear what you decide!!

hollissmama
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I bought the Mountain Buggy Duo and the Indie Twin and much prefer the Indie for us. I felt like the push was similar enough and the Indie twin is gorgeous! It has all the features I love and my 5 year old fits pretty much the same in both and he is crazy tall. I agree about SBS doubles esp for outside use. Both seats have a good recline and canopies and a great view. However then they can mess with each other too!

Sorry you had to go through a vacation without a double. Remedy that soon and update us. :)

123LuckyMom
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Oh, the Valco Spark is what I meant-- the one that's not out yet and has the reversible seats that can turn into bassinets. How cool is that!!! I loved having the bassinet for DS, though I must admit I haven't used it even once for DD. if only I had brought the bassinet instead of the stroller seat, perhaps I would not now be desperate to part with a chunk of change! I think it will be the GT or the Spark if I can hold out. Then again, there was just a 2012 BJCMD on CL for $325. It doesn't look like it has good tires, though. Should I go for it?

roseyloxs
05-30-2012, 06:01 AM
I don't know how happy you would be with the BJCMD tires on dirt roads. Are we talking packed down dirt roads that could almost be a paved road? I think I would pass. If you go for it though I would offer $250. The BJCMD's were being sold for $300 new when they switched to the firmer seat model not too long ago.

123LuckyMom
05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Ooooh, thanks for that tip! I'm not going for the BJCMD because it's not in my area, and my sister is too busy to pick it up for us. I think I want to hold out for something that excites me. The Spark excites me! I'm worried the seats will be too small, though, and I really need the stroller yesterday. May this be the biggest dilemma of my week!

moll73
05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I recall reading last week on here that the 2012 BJCMD aren't due out until September. Not sure if that's correct, but thought I'd throw that out there, since if it is true, it couldn't be a 2012 on CL.

123LuckyMom
05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Oh! She probably thinks it's a 2012 because she bought it in 2012. In any case, I think I've decided against it because of the tires. I wish the MBUDs had independent canopies. There are several of them on CL, and I know lots of you guys love them. Also, though, while I know $200 is $200, I think I'd rather get what I really want than spend $400ish on a used stroller I'm not too crazy about. Oh, the dilemma!