PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think of my symptoms

swissair81
05-31-2012, 10:31 AM
I've had a headache (quite literally) all week long. After 3 days of it, I called my OB and he prescribed Vicodin. He told me to call back in 2 days if it wasn't better. It's not severe, but it feels like pressure all around my face and skull. I've also been more lightheaded than I usually am (to the point that I just don't walk around if I don't have to), kind of tired, and slightly nauseous/not really hungry. I called his office already this morning and I'm just waiting for a call back, but I'm wondering what the collective mommy mind thinks. My brain isn't working amazingly well this morning, so please excuse if I'm not making any sense.

AngB
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
How far along are you? How is your blood pressure? Swelling?

Since I've experienced the worst as a result of preeclampsia, that is the first thing that pops in my head when someone reports a headache that won't go away with tylenol and feeling off. It could be a lot of things, though. But that's one I would want ruled out first.

swissair81
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm 27 weeks. I have no idea what my BP is. No swelling though. I do feel very off. I'm hoping he'll tell me to come in to check everything out.

AngB
05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Good that you aren't swollen. I can't imagine that they won't see you. It's not very common for people to get preeclampsia in a later pregnancy if they didn't have it in their first pregnancy, but it does sometimes happen. (Michelle Duggar would be a good example of that.) High blood pressure often gives people headaches and dizzy feelings, and it may just be you have "pregnancy induced hypertension" that is not preeclampsia. Or it could be something totally different like the flu. In any case, a severe headache for several days that doesn't go away with Tylenol is certainly cause for concern and you definitely should be seen somewhere. If nothing else, go to Walgreens and check your blood pressure on their machines...they often aren't very accurate but they are better than nothing.

From the PE foundation on Headaches as a symptom:

Headaches

Dull or severe, throbbing headaches, often described as migraine-like that just won't go away are cause for concern.

What you can do...

If you have tried taking over-the-counter medication without relief, if the headache is very painful or you have light sensitivity, call your provider immediately and ask to see him/her that day.

Here is the link to the list of symptoms:http://preeclampsia.org/health-information/signs-and-symptomsThough someone can have preeclampsia and have all or none or few of the symptoms, I could be the poster child for an atypical case.

lizzywednesday
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
If your BP is normal, I might also investigate a sinus infection, since you mentioned pain in the "mask" area of your face - under eyes, nose, etc. - and you've been dealing with clearing out mold in your flooded house.

Hope you feel better!

brittone2
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
I would say they need to see you and rule out pre-e, but yeah, agree that something like a sinus infection could be at play. I hope they see you soon so you can get some peace of mind that you aren't dealing with something more significant. I hope you feel better soon :hug:

swissair81
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
If your BP is normal, I might also investigate a sinus infection, since you mentioned pain in the "mask" area of your face - under eyes, nose, etc. - and you've been dealing with clearing out mold in your flooded house.

Hope you feel better!

Could be sinus, but it wouldn't have anything to do with mold. The mold was cleaned out right away and I am very rarely in my house- maybe once every other week, and that's only if I need to do something there. I usually just stop outside for the mail and packages.

In the meantime, my OB's nurse called and said he prescribed something stronger for pain (not really interested). I might just have my father take my BP later for my peace of mind.

TwoBees
05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I would say they need to see you and rule out pre-e, but yeah, agree that something like a sinus infection could be at play. I hope they see you soon so you can get some peace of mind that you aren't dealing with something more significant. I hope you feel better soon :hug:

:yeahthat:

My first thought was also pre-e. Is the pain only in your head? Do you have shoulder or chest pain?

Though someone can have preeclampsia and have all or none or few of the symptoms, I could be the poster child for an atypical case.
We should compare notes. :sick:

specialp
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I had a horrible headache for 3 straight days and broke down and took a OTC sinus med with doctor's OK and it went away after 3 hours and a nap. I would try that if the pre-e is ruled out. I wasn't dizzy and I'm not as far along as you.

swissair81
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm sure if I have a sinus infection, I will start running a fever shortly. I've never had one without the other. In the meantime, I'm just chilling.

KLD313
05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm due within a day of you and I kinda feel the same way you do although my head pain is t as bad but I do have a headache. I think mine is sinus related because my nose is stuffy and during the night my BF said I sounded like I couldn't breathe. If it's not BP related it very well could be a sinus thing.

swissair81
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
So my blood pressure is 100/60. I still doubt it's my sinuses though, because my nasal drainage is thin and allergic looking.

AngB
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
So my blood pressure is 100/60. I still doubt it's my sinuses though, because my nasal drainage is thin and allergic looking.

I'm glad your BP is normal. Do you have a good GP/family doctor? I would probably give them a call.

swissair81
05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm glad your BP is normal. Do you have a good GP/family doctor? I would probably give them a call.

I have a good GP, but he's not going to want to deal with me while I'm pregnant. I have an appointment on Tuesday, and we can talk about it. Actually he said that if I'm in pain for more than 2 more days, he wants to hear about it. He doesn't want me taking strong meds for days on end.

TwoBees
05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear it's not your BP! I hope you feel better soon!

daisymommy
05-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Either high blood pressure, or sinus infection. Honestly, I had all those symptoms during this pregnancy and it was a sinus infection and allergies. Got an antibiotic and was on Claritin for awhile, and I felt so much better.

I hope you feel better soon!

mikala
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a good GP, but he's not going to want to deal with me while I'm pregnant. I have an appointment on Tuesday, and we can talk about it. Actually he said that if I'm in pain for more than 2 more days, he wants to hear about it. He doesn't want me taking strong meds for days on end.

I'd definitely call today if you're still in pain to see if you can get into your OB sooner. The use of strong pain meds without diagnosing the underlying cause always make me a little nervous in general and even moreso in pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon!!

swissair81
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd definitely call today if you're still in pain to see if you can get into your OB sooner. The use of strong pain meds without diagnosing the underlying cause always make me a little nervous in general and even more so in pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon!!

I'm with you there. I took one of the Fioricet he prescribed yesterday and I'm never taking it again. I don't like the side effects.

ExcitedMamma
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
In case it is just a bad headache/migraine you could consider taking Excedrin Tension Headache, active ingredients Acetaminophen (think I spelled that right aka Tylenol) and Caffeine, without the Aspirin in the regular Excedrin. I hate all the side effects of the Migraine drugs and Vicodin drugs so I use Excedrin even when not pregnant. I had horrible migraines when pregnant with my son so just be careful of potential rebound headaches from any medicine you take. I was referred to a Neurologist by my cautious OB with DS and he said even Tylenol can lead to rebound headaches. This time around I debate whether to take Tylenol or Excedrin when I feel the migraine starting because I want to knock it out before it gets bad but then I worry about the rebound issue. I hope you feel better soon!