PDA

View Full Version : What kind of purse can I carry in WDW?

gatorsmom
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
I think I read only a fanny pack can be taken on rides- is that true? I will need something to carry essentials that I don't want to leave in the stroller.

Suggestions?

karstmama
05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
no, you can carry anything you want on rides. many have little mesh bungee holders in the foot area. i *would* make it something that drawstrings or zips closed and not something open-topped like a tote. i used a thin nylon-y backpack, the kind that the cord straps are also the closure, for things i wanted to keep on my person. dbf also had one, and we left things like the potty ring & pullups in the stroller bottom.

smiles33
05-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't bring a purse if you can avoid it. That's one more thing to keep track of and lug around. At DLR, I only carried a travel pouch around my neck with cash, 1 credit card, hotel keycard, and our tickets/Fast passes. My iPhone fit in my short pockets, or, if I was worried about it falling out (like on Space Mountain), I could zip it into the same pouch (but that made it really heavy around my neck!). I stored everything else in our BJCMD (extra clothes, water, snacks, diapers).

billysmommy
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
I love my Overland Donner bag for WDW!!! I originally got the recommendation from the BBB, there are quite a few who use this bag.

Here's a recent thread about bags for WDW
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=422805

mousemom
05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
I carried a Kipling bag like this:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kipling-handbag-alvar-shoulder-bag?ID=443478&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Worked well for me b/c it fit a lot (camera, cell phone, a few snacks, water bottle, etc.) but was not too bulky to carry/hold on rides.

Green_Tea
05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
I haven't taken it to WDW, but I have this bag from EMS and I love it. The bag itself is lightweight and not bulky at all, but it fits a surprising amount of stuff when I need it to. Plus, it's less than $40 :).

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11338048&cp=3677352.11373430.3696605

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't bring a purse if you can avoid it. That's one more thing to keep track of and lug around. At DLR, I only carried a travel pouch around my neck with cash, 1 credit card, hotel keycard, and our tickets/Fast passes. My iPhone fit in my short pockets, or, if I was worried about it falling out (like on Space Mountain), I could zip it into the same pouch (but that made it really heavy around my neck!). I stored everything else in our BJCMD (extra clothes, water, snacks, diapers).

:yeahthat:My amusement park style is to carry nothing. I always carry 2 ziploc baggies with me in case I go on water rides and want to protect my stuff. This is my strategy even with no stroller (we just don't bring the extra stuff).

cono0507
05-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Another Overland Donner fan for WDW. I wore it on everything I rode. It just kind of tucked in next to me on the seat while I wore it.

edurnemk
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I used a small, flat cross body purse, similar to this one:

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13051963&prodFindSrc=paramNav

BayGirl2
05-31-2012, 07:10 PM
I carry my Ju Ju Be Be Major cross body. Its big enough to hold my cash, cards, tickets, keys, and phone. And its cute too.

http://shop.ju-ju-be.com//Be-Major-at-Ju-Ju-Be-PID11356-09WR02A.aspx

crl
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I needed a diaper bag for dd so I carried my Skip Hop dash. No problem taking it on any of the rides I went on (didn't do Space Mountain or any of the other big rollar coaster type rides as I am a chicken).

Donner bag would be an excellent choice, IMO. I have one but needed a bigger bag for diapers, etc at the time.

Catherine

DrSally
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I kept things like soft-sided cooler, water bottles, jackets, wipes, etc. in the stroller basket. The, I took a small, men's style wallet (even smaller), put some cash, 1 credit card, and my ID in it. I kept that small wallet in the pocket of my cargo skort. Worked perfectly. I loathe carrying around a backpack or even purse. If I had to, I'd carry a small cross body purse the size of a book.

ETA: I like that EMS purse though. If I had to carry something, it would be lightweight, washable nylon.

gatorsmom
06-01-2012, 01:35 AM
thanks for all the ideas. I'm starting to get nervous about this trip. We've been really, really busy for the past few months and planning for this vacation has been a low priority.

I would love not to carry a purse, but I feel I need to keep certain things (like epipens, inhaler, tiny water bottle) with me at all times. We do plan to bring our stroller though, so I can store a bunch of stuff in there.

I looked at the Overland bags and I think the Donner is a bit big for me. I'm going to look at the Bayliss a little more closely. I'm really liking the EMS bag too.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

klwa
06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
I carried my Vera Bradley Mailbag on just about every ride. I was using it a s a diaper bag for my (then) youngest. No problems.

bnme
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I always carry a small back pack with my wallet, camera, water, other essentials. If I get tired of carrying it, DH can wear it. When the kids were younger I always had a larger back pack on the stroller that had all of the ‘extras’ like change of clothes. DH would carry that when getting on the buses or other times we thought we may need the stuff but were leaving the strollers.

peanut520
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I used a longhamp hobo bag (not small) or just put my phone and room key in my pocket. Since there are things you need to carry with you, what about a wallet sized wristlet? Easy enough to grab and keep in rides, but easily stashed in the stroller when walking around.

KLD313
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Check out Baggallini bags. I have a small backpack and also an tiny ourselves that fits more stuff than you could ever imagine and the nylon makes them light to start with so the only weight you're carrying is what you put in it.

Mommy2Abby
06-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Another vote for the Overland Donner bag. I take that and then also use a black le sportsac fanny pack for the critical stuff like wallet, phone, etc.

JElaineB
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I have the Overland Donner, Overland Ellis and Overland Bayliss. I bought all three before my WDW trip last year.

For me the Overland Donner is too big to carry into the parks as a purse. However I do find it the perfect bag for airline travel. It holds two 16 oz. water bottles and is huge inside with several compartments so I can keep all sorts of stuff organized. If you don't mind a heavy shoulder or cross-body bag I think this would work in the parks but I would rather use a small backpack.

I love the Overland Ellis. Since using it at WDW it has become my everyday bag. It is not large, but it can hold quite a bit. You can fit a 16 oz. water bottle inside and have room for plenty of other items (I've fit two water bottles in there at times.) It has a main compartment (with mesh pocket inside) and an outside zippered compartment that is very handy to carry both my cell phone and ipod touch along with other misc. small items.

I haven't used the Overland Bayliss too much. It is quite small, but if you are looking for a small purse that can be used as a waist pack as well it is a good choice. It has lots of pockets and organizer compartments and can actually hold quite a bit. It could hold a wallet and compact camera, but not a water bottle.

I also bought a Baggalini messenger bag at the same time as the Overland bags. I returned it as the straps were thin and bothered me.

elektra
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
My set up is as follows:
My Skiphop diaper bag with wipes, light change of clothes, sunscreen, snacks, water, tissues, etc., that I hang on the stroller.
I then carry a thin "regular" purse with enough room for my wallet phone and an emergency snack for the lines. My old coach hobo works just fine for this.

So I basically bring a bag for the stroller and a small bag I carry with my at all times. Bringing a big bulky backpack on the rides is not what you want to do though.

I also leave all of our jackets in the stroller basket (may not be on issue in Orlando like it is in Anaheim though).

It will be so fun- (just bring two bags!) ;)

Cam&Clay
06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I love my Overland Donner bag for WDW!!! I originally got the recommendation from the BBB, there are quite a few who use this bag.

Here's a recent thread about bags for WDW
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=422805

I used one when we went last month! It was perfect!

TamiRuns
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I used one when we went last month! It was perfect!

Me too! Used it last month and loved it!