PDA

View Full Version : Bike racks for car?

new_mommy25
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I am looking to buy a bike rack for our CR-V. I need it to fit at least two adult bikes (cruiser and mountain bike). The kids' bikes can fit in our trunk but if they'll fit on the rack that would be a bonus (DS has a 20", DD a 16"). I saw one on Costco.com for $199. Walmart and Amazon have a bunch. I've never owned one before so I have no idea what I want/need. Any advice greatly appreciated.:)

LMPC
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Do you want one that fits into an existing hitch on your car or a removable one that kind of straps on?

new_mommy25
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Do you want one that fits into an existing hitch on your car or a removable one that kind of straps on?

I actually have no idea. I know nothing about this! Whatever is sturdy and easy for me to handle if DH is not around. Hoping to do more bike rides with the kids this summer.

niccig
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I have a CRV. I got a hitch mounted - Curt hitch, 2" receiver in case we ever want to tow a small trailer. We have a yakima 4 bike rack. We can put DS's 20" bike on there. It will still fit in the back but as he gets bigger bikes, it'll have to go on the rack so we got a bigger rack.

We can lock our hitch to the car, and then for the bike rack we got the optional chain to lock bike to rack. We also put a u-lock on the bikes if we're ever going to leave them on the rack eg. at restaurant. DH had his good bike stolen when just locked with a chain at the beach, so we got 2 u locks and use those anytime lock bikes on the rack or when riding.

niccig
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I actually have no idea. I know nothing about this! Whatever is sturdy and easy for me to handle if DH is not around. Hoping to do more bike rides with the kids this summer.

I can do the hitch mounted rack myself. DH had to show me how to put it on/off as have to use ratchet to tighten the bolt. We were going to get a rack that swings away, but those are much heavier and I didn't think I could do that on my own. I also think the hitch mounted are easier than the trunk mounted as no straps to fiddle with to get it in place. I think they're also more secure. I slip the rack part into the receiver on the hitch and tighten one bolt and it's done. I often leave the rack on the car - do have to tilt it down when need to open the trunk, but that's not big deal if the rack is empty.

I took my car to a trailer place to get hitch put on (you can buy online and install yourself or have mechanic do it). The hitch is bolted to the car, so it stays on all the time. You just put the bike rack on when you need it. I think the hitch cost me about $250 including installation (cheaper if DH could have installed it or lived in lower COL area or put a smaller hitch on the car) and then the rack was under $200 - so it is a bit of money but we use our bikes all the time now as it's just so easy to put them on the car.

pinay
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I would definitely choose a hitch mounted rack as well- so easy to install yourself and I feel like our bikes are more secure when we transport them vs. the old car mounted rack that was a PITA to install.

LMPC
06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Yep, we have a hitch mounted one and it's easy for me to do on my own. We have the one that carries 4 bikes.

MontrealMum
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Here's a site that has some information on how to choose a bike rack for your specific type/model of car: http://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-installations/honda/honda-cr-v-rack-systems.asp

We have a roof-mounted rack. The car (a Subie) came with bars and then DH picked out which crossbars and system he wanted based on what we'd be carrying. We're able to carry 2 adult bikes plus 2 wheels, or 2 bikes with a narrow box in the middle. Basically, though, you can carry whatever you want on your roof. It just depends what system you buy.

We live in the city and we much prefer having the bikes up on top of the car so they're not in danger of getting crunched in a fender bender or rear end collision. Mind you, it's more difficult to lift them up there, but we're avid cyclists so our bikes are pretty light. Weight is a factor for a roof mount, though, if you're doing it yourself and your bikes are heavy.