PDA

View Full Version : Gluten and Dairy Free: Let's share our in a pinch eating out tips

kijip
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
So I have been dairy and gluten free (as well as sugar and some other stuff) for a few days shy of a month. It has been way easier than I thought it would be and it is helping me lose weight that previously I was not shedding with diet and exercise. It also saves money because I go out to eat less. :rotflmao:

Sometimes though you are on the go, didn't plan ahead and feel yourself getting gotta eat NOW hungry. What are your favorite places and menu items for this situation? I thought one big thread would be helpful because a lot of people here do low carb or gluten or dairy free. No sugar is a little easier- just check the dressings etc and don't order sweets but gluten and dairy can be much harder to avoid.

Here is what I have learned so far:

Fast food:

local chain mexican can be good- for a bowl of beans with meat and veggies and salsa.

Jimmy Johns, my discovery today when the boys convinced me that stopping for lunch was a better plan than waiting an hour. They do lettuce wraps for all their sandwiches and I had them make mine with turkey, tomato, onions, sprouts and avocado spread. Very delish and under $5.

Dinner out:

easy with salads and grilled fish/chicken/beef.

Breakfast out: for me this is a don't bother. While I can sit there eating oatmeal and eggs and fruit while my company eats french toast, it is essentially torture for me.

Also, what tips do you have for food you can keep in the car or pack with you that you can eat hours and hours later? I have my list of things but am looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Note to Mods: since this is about eating out and not cooking, if we could please not move it to the What's Cooking forum that would be great. I want to get as much input as I can. :)

AnnieW625
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I think you live in the perfect locale for your diet. :thumbsup:

I started hard boiling eggs. I keep them in the fridge until I am ready to leave, and then put one or two in my purse and eat them within an hour or two. If you are okay with 60 yr. old chutney then a hard boiled egg out of the fridge for an hour should be okay. ;)

I get protein style burgers at In N Out. Their iced tea is sugar free as well!

At Chikfila they have a good chicken salad, I give the croutons to my daughters.

At Mexican places I usually get two fish tacos on a corn tortilla, and a side of beans.

I have no issue ordering double veggies vs. rice or a roll if those are offered with a meal at a sit down restaurant.

I generally opt for water over soda unless I know I can get unsweetened free.

eta: Linsei, eating out at breakfast is actually really easy. I don't miss pancakes or waffles at all. I much prefer to eat eggs and or sausage/bacon in the AM.

linsei
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm doing Paleo/primal. I'm new at it, so I'm sure I'm making some errors ;) I am limiting dairy, but haven't eliminated it yet.

For fast food
Chipotle - easy to order a bowl with meat (usually a normal portion of meas is good, but I would double the meat if extra hungry - the bowl looks pretty empty without rice!), fajita veggies, fresh salsa, guacamole. No rice or beans.
Chick-fil-a - haven't done it yet, but could get a salad with grilled chicken
Sub places - salads. (Great idea about the lettuce wraps, thanks!)

Restaurants
I agree, pretty easy if you stick to protein (usually chicken/steak/fish/seafood) with veg sides. Also helps to ask for a gluten free menu and ask questions about food (kind of strange for me because I'm used to ordering things as is). I'm a bread lover, so it is hard for me to watch everyone else eating it.
Burger places - wrap burger in lettuce or get a salad

Breakfast out
Don't do it very often. Would order eggs and bacon/sausage. Torture for me too... I love pancakes, french toast, and waffles.

(I know you didn't mention breakfast at home, but I'd love to know if anyone has found a good pancake or waffle recipe?)

In the car
It really helps to plan ahead and bring a snack so that I don't get so hungry that I'm tempted to cave (ha!). Nuts, homemade larabar type things, fruit, veggies. Would love to try making beef jerky, but it kind of scares me for some crazy reason.
I also keep a cooler in the car, mainly for the purpose of buying groceries, but I could also put snacks in there. I just add some ice packs before we go.

kijip
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
(I know you didn't mention breakfast at home, but I'd love to know if anyone has found a good pancake or waffle recipe?)

I don't know if paleo permits oats or not? I am guessing no. After some truly horrendous experiments with mixes and such, my husband wanted to surprise me for Mother's Day. He actually made some decent pancakes with fresh berry syrup by pulverizing oatmeal in the cuisinart and using that instead of flour. I am technically not dairy free but I am mostly COWS milk dairy free and not a fan of dairy anyways. I can have goat's milk and regular butter (thank GOODNESS!) and he made them with goat's milk and melted butter. I suppose nut type milk could be used instead of goat's milk or for people who do soy, soy milk. I will have him give me the recipe, when he gets home, to share with gluten free (not paleo) peeps.

kijip
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
If you are okay with 60 yr. old chutney then a hard boiled egg out of the fridge for an hour should be okay. ;)

True dat.

Re: aged chutney: it is not an antique can of chutney found at the back of grammy's basement or something, instead it is specifically made to be aged for a long time. Like wines and port. It was fantastically delicious. I had it at a tea shop with a date in high school. Yes, I am and always have been a total nerd. There were also new, like 1-10 year chutneys.

linsei
06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Oats are grain, so not allowed. There are lots of recipes out there, but I've only tried one, and it was really disappointing. DH made the pancakes with coconut flour. Meh... I haven't tried anything with only coconut flour that I have liked.

The combination of coconut and almond flour seems good so far. I made some really yummy banana muffins that had both flours. I'm thinking a combination of the two might be the best, or maybe just almond flour.

mytwosons
06-01-2012, 07:21 PM
ipad cutting out.

FF: Wendy's chili.

Local support groups are great sources of info. Check with other groups when traveling. Just google to see if you can find a group.

I've had great luck at smaller places. One near us does GF waffles and french toast.

ETA: Chipotle, Panera (I don't know if all of their GF soups are DF. I have not had issues with cc, but it could happen), and noodles & company are all chains I've had good experiences with. Oh, for sit down dining, I've had good luck with Outback, Macaroni Grill, Caraba's, PF Chang's and Red Robin.

wendibird22
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I use the Find Me Gluten Free app when traveling or looking to dine out. It's pretty helpful. I'm not dairy free but GF.

I avoid eating out for breakfast as much as possible. Oats, while gluten free, are almost always contaminated with gluten. So, unless there are certified gluten free oats, I avoid that. Many "eggs" at restaurants are actually pre-made egg mixes that contain flour to thicken the mix and make it go further. So, I stick to fried or hard boiled and avoid scrambled, omelets, etc. There's aways fruit or yogurt.

Wendy's: chili and baked potato, frosty
McDs: french fries, if they have a dedicated frier are gluten free in the US, as of now (subject to change). Salad. Milk shake, sundae, or smoothie.
Chipotle: rice bowl

Most of the chain restaurants have GF menus: Uno, Red Robbin, PJ Changs, Olive Garden, etc. Mexican out is hard because even if they have corn tortillas they are often fried with the wheat tortillas and therefore cross contaminated. I avoid take out chinese because soy sauce contains wheat.

Snacks: Nature Valley has two nut bards that are GF: peanut and almond.

GoPicnic meals are great for travel. I've had the turkey stick (like a slim jim) and hummus varieties and they are decent. I get the 6 pack from Amazon. Great for car or plane travel or anytime you aren't sure if there will be something safe to eat. No all varieties are GF so be sure to read the label.

Kind bars: many varieties

Enjoy Life has great varieties of snack bars, cookies, etc. Many are also dairy free, but not sugar free.

daisysmom
06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I have been low carb/kind of paleo mostly on for abotu 6 months. I have recently been dedicated at being gluten free even when I allow myself to indulge off of low carb b/c I really started to have tummy pains after having gluten. I am also cow's milk free. PRetty sugar-free-ish.

For me, one of the keys for "what to do when you feel like you need to eat NOW" is to make sure that my 3 pretty-planned meals have plenty of fat in them. With that, I honestly don't get any ravenously-hungry snack times. Breakfast (around 7 am), I stick to greek yougurt and 2 big T of Sunbutter. It fills me up and I can have lunch anytime from 11:30 (won't turn it down then) or really, 1:30. Lunch, I have a salad with full fat dressing. If I go fat free, or try to not have a big meal, I get hungry at 3 or something. But this way, I make it until a 6 pm dinner. If I knew I was having a work dinner (may not start until 7:30 with temptations beforehand), I would have a cheese stick or two. If I was really desperate, almonds. I love nuts, but they do add 2-5 lbs on me if I let myself indulge. I don't track how many grams of fat I have, but I am definitely not low-fat. And this really does help me stay satisfied.

BabbyO
06-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I can't speak to GF, but we were Dairy/Soy/Nut free for 2 yrs...and just added Soy & nuts back in. For dairy/soy free my best bests have been:

Lunch:
Jimmy Johns - for the reason's noted by PP
Quiznos - several DF/SF options..not sure about GF. The staff in our local store go WAY above and beyond to ensure safe eating.
Noodles - VERY accommodating to adjusting regular menu items to fit special diets and has a comprehensive allergen/ingredient list onsite in every store I've ever been in.

Breakfast:
We just go to a couple local places that are very good about cooking eggs with oil instead of butter.

Dinner out:
Maggianos has by far been the most accommodating. I cannot sing their praises highly enough.
Other - higher end, local resturants have been our best bets.

As for portable snacks...
-we like Enjoy Life snack bars...I always had a stash in the diaper bag for the first 2 yrs.
-We also do a lot of Apples, Bananas, Oranges & Grapes. Generally they do Ok without refridgeration...as long as they haven't been cut up.
-Fruit leathers have also been a favorite...but certainly aren't sugar free.
-What about rice cakes and peanut butter or sun butter? I can see stashing some rice cakes and a small container of PB.

jennilynn
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Chick-fil-A is my favorite drive thru option. I get the grilled chicken nuggets and fries or a fruit cup. Pei Wei is great for sit down or pick up. Their gluten free menu includes Vietnamese Chicken Salad Rolls (heavenly) and sweet and sour shrimp or chicken. Chipotle is great and very customizable. It's tough. We definitely limit our eating out.