PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the Chicken Pox vaccine?

flashy09
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Never had it - should I get the vaccine? Wasn't offered when I was a kid and I happened to never get CP from another kid. I was thinking I should get it just to prevent my baby from getting it before she has the vaccine (which I embarrassingly have no idea when that is), but from the other thread it seems like the vaccine is not all that effective.

ZeeBaby
06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I am in the same boat. The nurse said insurance might not cover it. I was supposed to call to check but never did.

MSWR0319
06-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I did. There is a blood test for immunity I believe if you want to test to make sure you didn't have a mild case.

JBaxter
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I would get my titers checked first. Sometimes you come up immune without knowing you had them. Remember it is possible to get the chicken pox or "chicken pox type symptoms" from the vaccine. I don't think you should be breast feeding or for some reason I remember reading... get pregnant for a period of time ( because its a live virus)

trcy
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I was a teen when the vaccine became available and since I had never had cp I got the vaccine then. My understanding is that cp is more serious in adults. DD got the vaccine at her 12 month appointment.

123LuckyMom
06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
If your blood test does not show immunity, I definitely would! Chicken pox can be very serious in adults.

teo
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I had the misfortune of having it twice, the second time as a young adult, and it was awful that time--left lasting scars, and I was really, really sick. So I would probably get the vaccine if I weren't still immune (which I am, thankfully!) just to avoid that. But get your immunity checked first--could be you had a mild case that was enough to build a defense to it. My doctor checks titers routinely during pregnancy (but does recommend waiting a month before TTC if you get the vaccine--same as for a few other live vaccines). Pretty sure breastfeeding is fine, though--I think our group gives the vaccine after baby is born if you show lapsed immunity while pregnant. Check with your doc of course, though!

flashy09
06-01-2012, 07:32 PM
My titers were checked during my first pregnancy blood test and I have no immunity.

I don't actually have a regular Doctor, only a OB/GYN. Can I get the vaccine at a walk in clinic?

Thank you!

JBaxter
06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
My titers were checked during my first pregnancy blood test and I have no immunity.

I don't actually have a regular Doctor, only a OB/GYN. Can I get the vaccine at a walk in clinic?

Thank you!
Are you breastfeeding?

flashy09
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Are you breastfeeding?

Yes, I am. I assume I should wait until after I stop although part of my wanting to get the vaccine is to protect her.

llama8
06-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I had the chicken pox vaccine as a kid, but tested as having no immunity with both pregnancies. I know vaccines wear off and they told me mine must have. I am wondering if I should get the vaccine again. I have been on the fence too.

JBaxter
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, I am. I assume I should wait until after I stop although part of my wanting to get the vaccine is to protect her.

Pregnancy; the possible effects of the vaccine on fetal development are unknown at this time. However,
natural varicella is known to sometimes cause fetal harm. If vaccination of postpubertal females is
undertaken, pregnancy should be avoided for three months following vaccination (See PRECAUTIONS,

Transmission
Post-marketing experience suggests that transmission of vaccine virus may occur rarely between
healthy vaccinees who develop a varicella-like rash and healthy susceptible contacts. Transmission of
vaccine virus from a mother who did not develop a varicella-like rash to her newborn infant has also been
reported.
Therefore, vaccine recipients should attempt to avoid, whenever possible, close association with
susceptible high-risk individuals for up to six weeks. In circumstances where contact with high-risk
individuals is unavoidable, the potential risk of transmission of vaccine virus should be weighed against the
risk of acquiring and transmitting natural varicella virus. Susceptible high-risk individuals include:
• immunocompromised individuals
• pregnant women without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of prior
infection
• newborn infants of mothers without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of
prior infection and all newborn infants born at <28 weeks gestation regardless of maternal varicella
immunity.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_pi.pdf

MamaMolly
06-01-2012, 11:25 PM

I don't know that it would protect her. I had CP as a child and was BFing Dolly when she caught them at 7 months.

flashy09
06-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Pregnancy; the possible effects of the vaccine on fetal development are unknown at this time. However,
natural varicella is known to sometimes cause fetal harm. If vaccination of postpubertal females is
undertaken, pregnancy should be avoided for three months following vaccination (See PRECAUTIONS,

Transmission
Post-marketing experience suggests that transmission of vaccine virus may occur rarely between
healthy vaccinees who develop a varicella-like rash and healthy susceptible contacts. Transmission of
vaccine virus from a mother who did not develop a varicella-like rash to her newborn infant has also been
reported.
Therefore, vaccine recipients should attempt to avoid, whenever possible, close association with
susceptible high-risk individuals for up to six weeks. In circumstances where contact with high-risk
individuals is unavoidable, the potential risk of transmission of vaccine virus should be weighed against the
risk of acquiring and transmitting natural varicella virus. Susceptible high-risk individuals include:
• immunocompromised individuals
• pregnant women without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of prior
infection
• newborn infants of mothers without documented history of chickenpox or laboratory evidence of
prior infection and all newborn infants born at <28 weeks gestation regardless of maternal varicella
immunity.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_pi.pdf

Great info, thanks!

flashy09
06-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I don't know that it would protect her. I had CP as a child and was BFing Dolly when she caught them at 7 months.

Well, just to stop myself getting CP and bringing it home to her. Maybe she will get them from someone else of course!

ZeeBaby
06-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I was told to wait until after I was done breastfeeding to get the vaccine.

daisymommy
06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
If you get a live virus vaccine (such as CP, MMR, or a couple others), you can shed the virus as if you had the illness itself, and your baby would catch it. Scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brittone2
06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I never had CP and had my titers checked in high school and I wasn't immune. I was one of the early groups to be vaxed for varicella. At that time the recommendation was one dose. Fast forward I was working and thinking about ttc and had a physical, and mentioned I had only had one vax. Titers at that time showed I was immune from my single dose. I was concerned as the 2nd dose recommendations had come out and I worked with some immune compromised patients, which would have been complicated if I had the 2nd dose.
I have not had my titers checked in 9 years and don't know if I am still immune. I discussed with my family practitioner before moving that issue, and he did mention that something like Valtrex or one of the other antiviral drugs used for Herpes can be used (would need to look up details, I did once and now can't recall) if you catch it early or know you were exposed. That's something I've tried to keep in mind for my own situation). Just looked it up and Zovirax is approved for treating chicken pox and possibly reducing complications, and while not approved apparently Valtrex is thought to perhaps confer similar benefits. Might be something to discuss with your physician to see if it would be an option if you don't want to be vaccinated again.

lovin2shop
06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I had chicken pox in college and took Zovirax which helped immensely, but I was still terribly sick. The medicine stopped the pox and I only had a handful so that was a huge benefit. But, I felt like I had the flu for almost two weeks. I caught it within the first 24 hours, otherwise the Zovirax isn't as helpful.

I would get the vaccine for sure at some point if I didn't already have immunity. My mom thought I was naturally immune since I was exposed very many times as a child. I had just gotten over mono when I caught chicken pox, so the health center nurse said that the mono probably weakened my immune system and made me more susecptable to it. Not sure if that is correct, but it made sense at the time. Mono was a piece of cake for me compared to chicken pox.

citymama
06-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I've never had CP. I grabbed the chance at the vax as soon as I was offered it, as a young adult. Then when I was ready to start TTC, my OB recommended a blood test to see if I had developed the antibodies. I hadn't, so I got the shot and booster again before TTC. Even if it isn't 100% effective, it's supposed to reduce the intensity of the disease. In adults, CP can be awful - my DH's aunt got it as an adult and hasn't been seen without heavy pancake makeup ever since. My friends grandpa got it at 70 and it nearly killed him. I would recommend getting the shots.

MamaMolly
06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, just to stop myself getting CP and bringing it home to her. Maybe she will get them from someone else of course!

Gotcha! I wonder if the vaccine is one of those that sheds, though? I'm sure wiser mamas than I would know.

Jacksmommy2b
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
If you get a live virus vaccine (such as CP, MMR, or a couple others), you can shed the virus as if you had the illness itself, and your baby would catch it. Scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeahthat:

We had to hold off on DS1's booster until DS2 was old enough to get the first dose.

flashy09
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I didn't know this was a live vaccine. I think it sounds like I should get it when I am done breastfeeding and she has received her first dose. I always thought I was lucky not getting CP as a kid, now I kind of wish I had!

Dr C
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I would also recommend getting it, especially if you are thinking of having more DC--Chickenpox can be extremely dangerous to the baby if mom gets it late in pregnancy.

Agree with PP that you might as well get your titers checked first.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-03-2012, 03:23 AM
If your blood test does not show immunity, I definitely would! Chicken pox can be very serious in adults.

:yeahthat: DD had Hand, Foot & Mouth that looked a lot like CP and DH never had it. We were all pretty freaked out.