PDA

View Full Version : Will Zantac stop the choking/gagging?

MSWR0319
06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
DS went in for his checkup and they gave us Zantac for his reflux. The gagging/choking,etc is awful. He doesn't spit up a whole lot, but she told me the meds won't stop the spit up. So if they don't stop the spit up, will they help the gagging and choking since that's from it rising up into his throat? I just wasn't sure ow the meds worked. DS1 went straight to Prevacid so I have no experience with Zantac. Also, would it help to buy a Rock-N-Play to keep him elevated? We have a wedge I'm going to put under his mattress but I don't think it's enough of an angle. Maybe with the meds it would be?

flashy09
06-01-2012, 08:13 PM
DS went in for his checkup and they gave us Zantac for his reflux. The gagging/choking,etc is awful. He doesn't spit up a whole lot, but she told me the meds won't stop the spit up. So if they don't stop the spit up, will they help the gagging and choking since that's from it rising up into his throat? I just wasn't sure ow the meds worked. DS1 went straight to Prevacid so I have no experience with Zantac. Also, would it help to buy a Rock-N-Play to keep him elevated? We have a wedge I'm going to put under his mattress but I don't think it's enough of an angle. Maybe with the meds it would be?

I don't know if my baby has reflux, but as I have researched more I am pretty sure she does. Anyway, the Rock N Play made a huge difference to her. The first time I put her in it at 5 weeks old, she pretty much shut her eyes in relief within a minute and slept for 8 hrs!

teo
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
If the issue is reflux (or silent reflux, which is what our guy has---choking/gagging/coughing but minimal spitup), then yes, Zantac should stop it, unless your little one needs a more powerful drug. We did not buy our pediatrician's reflux diagnosis at the time and only begrudgingly started the Zantac as a diagnostic test (basically, if it works, that means it was reflux causing the problem). WOW--not only did the choking/coughing/wet burps and nursing issues (back arch, crying---why we went to doctor) stop, but what we always considered "normal" baby spitup (not too much or too often and with no obvious pain) stopped too. I felt terrible that we'd waited so long to test it.

We didn't get a diagnosis till four months so DS was close to sitting with help already, and we never had huge nighttime problems (one reason I was skeptical of the diagnosis---main symptom for us was a nursing issue, though after we started the Zantac we realized that wet burps, spit up, a hacking cough, and grunting were also all associated with it because they all disappeared.) Good luck!! It took almost a week for us before we saw improvements.

Melaine
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Subbing...we started zantac on tuesday.

daisymommy
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
It certainly did for my DS1 who had bad reflux. That and putting him on Alimentum formula (he was already formula fed, but we determined he was reacting to dairy in regular formula), keeping him inclined especially after every feeding for 20 minutes, & not putting him in any position or bouncy seat where his stomach was bent or crunched.

He used to choke and gasp on the milk and it would even come out his nose, and sometimes go into his lungs. But after doing those things and starting the Zantac, it all got better starting within about 2 weeks.

hellbennt
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
see my sig:)
meds don't stop the spit up, just the pain...but sometimes it helps...
sometimes, w/ silent reflux, they feel better & stop trying to force it back down that a non-spitter becomes a ('happy') spitter...

MSWR0319
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
It certainly did for my DS1 who had bad reflux. That and putting him on Alimentum formula (he was already formula fed, but we determined he was reacting to dairy in regular formula), keeping him inclined especially after every feeding for 20 minutes, & not putting him in any position or bouncy seat where his stomach was bent or crunched.

He used to choke and gasp on the milk and it would even come out his nose, and sometimes go into his lungs. But after doing those things and starting the Zantac, it all got better starting within about 2 weeks.

How did you determine it was a dairy allergy? Could you hear it in his lungs? I'm worried it's going into DS's lungs because he's also choking and gasping and it just sounds awful. We've had a few episodes of it coming out his nose as well.

ETA is ther a trick for keeping the meds in DS's mouth? They seem to run our or he pushes them out with his tongue or something. I've tried putting them in his cheek like you do with older kids but that's not working either. I just want to make sure he's getting all of his meds.

swissair81
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I had a few refluxy kids. Zantac never did anything. The prevacid was awesome. I can't say anything about the rock n play, although I did get it because I have had more than a few refluxy kids. It turned out that my youngest had functional constipation instead, and it didn't help for that.

daisymommy
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM
How did you determine it was a dairy allergy? Could you hear it in his lungs? I'm worried it's going into DS's lungs because he's also choking and gasping and it just sounds awful. We've had a few episodes of it coming out his nose as well.

ETA is ther a trick for keeping the meds in DS's mouth? They seem to run our or he pushes them out with his tongue or something. I've tried putting them in his cheek like you do with older kids but that's not working either. I just want to make sure he's getting all of his meds.

Dairy allergy:
He had a red sandpaper rash on his face, angry red "bulls eye" ring around his anus, diaper rash, green explosive poop, and terrible gas & stomach pain.

Yes, we could hear the milk go into his lungs and he had wet breathing. That's from the reflux.

We used the Munckin medicine pacifier. We poured in a little formula, plus the Zantac, shake to mix, and he would suck it down. Zantac does taste nasty minty, so if you do squirt it in, you have to get it way back almost near their throat so that it bypasses all their taste buds.

AnnieW625
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Zantac helped DD2 be less angry and in pain after eating. It did nothing for her spit up. When she had reflux it was never really loud and there was no choking sounds, everything just came up. I held her upright for 20 minutes and it still came up. It didn't matter if I was breastfeeding or she was bottle fed she spit up everywhere. What finally cured her spit up at 9 months old was using Playtex Drop Ins bottles.

MSWR0319
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Dairy allergy:
He had a red sandpaper rash on his face, angry red "bulls eye" ring around his anus, diaper rash, green explosive poop, and terrible gas & stomach pain.

Interesting. DS has all of those symptoms minus the diaper rash/ red anus. He has this rash on his face that they keep saying is some type of newborn rash but it doesn't look the same as the rash he had when he was born and it had gotten better until I ate a bowl of ice cream. Now it's all starting to make me wonder. His poop is extremely explosive, but I thought that was normal for a bf baby because that's how DS1 was, of course he also had reflux that didn't get diagnosed until much later. Guess we'll see how the meds work and go from there.

see my sig:)
[COLOR=purple]sometimes, w/ silent reflux, they feel better & stop trying to force it back down that a non-spitter becomes a ('happy') spitter...
Thanks! Looks very informative!

hellbennt
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Some Reasons a breastfeeding mother might think her baby is reacting to something in her milk:
*poop that is not 'normal' mustardy yellow, seedy breastfed baby poop
*mucous in poop; mucous can look like: snot, jelly, cottage cheese, stringy like the inside of a banana
*foul-smelling poop
*stinky, foul-smelling painful gas
*straining and grunting to poop and, when baby finally does poop, it's soft

kellyd
06-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Zantac w/ an AR formula, Enfamil AR w/ DS stopped just about everything w/ DS however, he did weight out of the dose every so often and we'd need to go back to the ped for a weight check and doseage adjustment.

With the girls, Zantac did nothing so we did prevacid in the morning, an AR formula (Parent's choice because good GOD formula for twins is ridiculous) Then a dose of Zantac to help us get through the night. Their reflux is truly miserable. Around 16 months old when DD1 was STILL not sleeping through the night I switched the prevacid to evening and finally she slept!

daisymommy
06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Some Reasons a breastfeeding mother might think her baby is reacting to something in her milk:
*poop that is not 'normal' mustardy yellow, seedy breastfed baby poop
*mucous in poop; mucous can look like: snot, jelly, cottage cheese, stringy like the inside of a banana
*foul-smelling poop
*stinky, foul-smelling painful gas
*straining and grunting to poop and, when baby finally does poop, it's soft

Oh yeah, I forgot about those other things! Yes to all of that with DS1 as well.

AnnieW625
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Zantac w/ an AR formula, Enfamil AR w/ DS stopped just about everything w/ DS however, he did weight out of the dose every so often and we'd need to go back to the ped for a weight check dosage.

AR Formula didn't work for DD2, but Similac Sensitive did. It cut down a lot on the spit up. There is going to be a lot of trial and error as well. I tried every brand on the market except Whole Foods, and the organic formulas. Parents Choice is made by the same company that makes Walgreens, Target, Kroger, Bright Beginings, Earth's Best Organic, and others. Check out StoreBrandFormula.com for a full list of stores.

Good luck.

lizzywednesday
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM

Use a syringe & a paci.

Stimulate the suckle reflex using the paci, then work the oral syringe into the mouth with it (you may have to hold the paci) & squirt, aiming for the back of the mouth/soft palate. Hold the paci in place so baby will continue to suckle & take in the meds. It'll get easier as it becomes part of your routine.

Practice. It takes time to feel coordinated enough to do it, but it works. (Also, it may discourage paci use, because baby will associate paci with meds. If this will be a problem for you, I'm not sure how much help I can be!)

A wee little one may still have his/her tongue-thrust reflex, so aiming for the cheek is too shallow.

Melaine
06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
For those of you who have BTDT how long was DC on zantac?

Melaine
06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
And did it make them sleepy?

AnnieW625
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM

And did it make them sleepy?

DD2 was on it until she was about 14 months old. Her RX ran out and food was no longer making her stomach hurt. Yes it made her sleepy, which was fine by me because it meant she was sleeping at night, which she wasn't doing well prior (2 hr. stretches and the girl could eat and was gaining weight) and was barely sleeping at all during the day (a good day she'd sleep for 4hrs total) so at 7 weeks old she slept for 6 hrs. straight. By 10 weeks she slept from 10 pm to 6 or 7 am ans she was only getting breast milk at night then. It was a miracle. Daytime sleeping didn't improve until she was 7 or 8 months old though.

Purple18
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
The Rock N Play was the best $50 piece of baby gear we bought. I just wished it had a higher weight limit since he was a large baby and outgrew it a few months before he was ready - ideally it would have lasted until he was on more solid food, which helped him dramatically as well. DS slept comfortably for the first time the very night we bought the Rock N Play. He also started Zantac that day, but only had one dose. Zantac really did help DS and keeping his dose up with his weight gain was a huge key to our success. It helps prevent the reflux which causes the pain, but he still spit up A LOT. He is a different child on Zantac and now at 13 months, I'm hoping we will be done with it soon.

Nooknookmom
06-05-2012, 02:24 AM
=hellbennt;3522025]see my sig:)
sometimes, w/ silent reflux, they feel better & stop trying to force it back down that a non-spitter becomes a ('happy') spitter...

Please get to this site...if it were not for that board I would not have survived DD2's birth to 2.5, only half-kidding.

Zantac did nothing for her AT ALL in fact it tasted so vile she screamed more. Elevation is mandatory, I had to either wear DD or have her elevated in a swing, bouncer or the like.

Our saving grace (and there are more options too) was Prevacid in conjunction with Mylanta Cherry Supreme. Still nothing will stop the spitting up - period, it just helps reduce the acid in the esophagus so when it does come rolling back up it is less painful.

DD2 was also MSPI, I had to read labels b/c the smallest amt of dairy or soy made her gi tract a mess.

Melaine
06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't want to hijack but I am SO confused. Poor DS is definitely in pain. It's the one week mark for zantac and things have probably been worse if anything the last few days. Last night it was like he was trying to poop all night long, he was so unhappy all day yesterday even when feeding or being held. He would fight nursing. He was stiffening his legs and crying this pathetic hoarse cry. His bottom is also bright red around the anus. He seemed constipated until this morning when he finally had a diaper. One of his diapers two days ago was a little on the green side.

I have eliminated major dairy but I DID have a milkshake on Saturday because I had decided maybe that wasn't his issue. Could he still be having problems from that? Do I need to eliminate ALL dairy and hidden dairy or go to a doctor? Should I quit the zantac or keep trying for awhile?

I also have a truly horrible headcold and I am just having trouble coping. I feel so bad that he is in pain and can't sleep even when he is obviously tired!

I did look at the reflux board but I'm so overwhelmed I feel like I can't process.

daisymommy
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM

We tried taking him off it at age 1 yr. but he ended up needing it just a few more months after that--maybe till 16 months?
I do remember that once he was walking upright that really helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daisymommy
06-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Mel--NAK
Thats more than just reflux going on.
-bright red anus
-constipated
-green poop
- tummy pain

Keep up the Zantac and yes eliminate all dairy (sorry!).

Melaine
06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Mel--NAK
Thats more than just reflux going on.
-bright red anus
-constipated
-green poop
- tummy pain

Keep up the Zantac and yes eliminate all dairy (sorry!).

NAK too! You are sweet to respond I know you are crazy busy. I am going dairy free 100% starting today, I just went shopping to get ready. How long do you think it will take to see a change? I just want to know what the problem is I feel horrible for him...(and myself).

MSWR0319
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
NAK Melaine-too bad we don't live near each other, we could commiserate together. I don't think the Zantac is working for us either. And it doesn't make him sleepy unfortunately. He hardly sleeps all day and when he does he wakes up 30 min later screaming in pain, then either burps or poops and the process starts all over. DS1 was on prevacid and it was wonderful, as awful as this sounds I'm hoping they give it to DS2 at his next checkup. I think we may have MSPI. I ate a bowl of ice cream the other night and a day later the poor guy was screaming and gagging,wtc something fierce. His poop is green and explosive to say the least. What foods did you get to eat. I feel likeim eating like a bird and always hungry without dairy. I used to love yogurt, cottage cheese,etc.

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't want to hijack but I am SO confused. Poor DS is definitely in pain. It's the one week mark for zantac and things have probably been worse if anything the last few days. Last night it was like he was trying to poop all night long, he was so unhappy all day yesterday even when feeding or being held. He would fight nursing. He was stiffening his legs and crying this pathetic hoarse cry. His bottom is also bright red around the anus. He seemed constipated until this morning when he finally had a diaper. One of his diapers two days ago was a little on the green side.

I have eliminated major dairy but I DID have a milkshake on Saturday because I had decided maybe that wasn't his issue. Could he still be having problems from that? Do I need to eliminate ALL dairy and hidden dairy or go to a doctor? Should I quit the zantac or keep trying for awhile?

I also have a truly horrible headcold and I am just having trouble coping. I feel so bad that he is in pain and can't sleep even when he is obviously tired!

I did look at the reflux board but I'm so overwhelmed I feel like I can't process.

:hug:
I was soo overwhelmed by the reflux board as well I didn't find it helpful at all. I couldn't process it either (similar to the feeling I had about Kellymom when DD1 was a baby). I found the posters here to be much more helpful.

In regards to the constipation DD1 went through a horrible spell of constipation at almost 2 months old. It was really strange. I think she went almost 24 hrs. without pooping at least twice in one week. The pediatrician suggested suppostories and that was a pain, but they did work. Thankfully it only lasted a week, and the following week she had a big growth spurt (and finally hit 10lbs!).

With DD2 I started eliminating dairy when she was maybe a week oldl; as soon as I knew something wasn't right and she was screaming after every meal. I did it for almost a month and while DD2 still had somewhat runny diapers they weren't overly green and she didn't have a red anus so the pediatrician and I decided it probably wasn't a dairy allergy, she just had a sensitive stomach. We just used Zantac. Both the ped. and I (and DH) were afraid of overmedicating. I believe in general it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for all dairy to get out of your system.

Good luck with your head cold, and if you don't have any go and grab some Super C from Wal Mart (it is like Emergen C, but tastes better).

(oh, and I haven't forgetten about the sterilizing and pumping bags, I'll get them out to you this weekend!)

Melaine
06-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I got chicken, rice, veg, fruit, hummus, tortilla chips, salsa, oatmeal, bread (checking labels), nuts, ingredients for spaghetti and stir fry, all fruit popsicles. plan to use hummus instead of mayo. Going to make some chicken soup but some of the chicken broth has dairy so watch out. I got a fake buttery spread and plan to eat veggies and sweet potatos one night. My mom says to look of the rice cleanse for good recipes or ideas.

Ice cream substitute: (this is awesome...you will be SHOCKED) if you do this right it will taste like a wendy's frosty. I take a flexible chopping board and slice bananas up kind of thin and spread them out across the board. Stick the whole thing in the freezer for at least an hour or two. Then blend it in the blender with chocolate almond milk (I think it's silk brand). It should blend to the consistency of soft-serve. It's delicious. I do this with whole milk for the girls.

Also, I picked up a bag of crushed ice from sonic. I love that stuff and it helps me stay hydrated and it's kind of like a treat with juice or iced coffee or whatever.

Melaine
06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
:hug:
I was soo overwhelmed by the reflux board as well I didn't find it helpful at all. I couldn't process it either (similar to the feeling I had about Kellymom when DD1 was a baby). I found the posters here to be much more helpful.

In regards to the constipation DD1 went through a horrible spell of constipation at almost 2 months old. It was really strange. I think she went almost 24 hrs. without pooping at least twice in one week. The pediatrician suggested suppostories and that was a pain, but they did work. Thankfully it only lasted a week, and the following week she had a big growth spurt (and finally hit 10lbs!).

With DD2 I started eliminating dairy when she was maybe a week oldl; as soon as I knew something wasn't right and she was screaming after every meal. I did it for almost a month and while DD2 still had somewhat runny diapers they weren't overly green and she didn't have a red anus so the pediatrician and I decided it probably wasn't a dairy allergy, she just had a sensitive stomach. We just used Zantac. Both the ped. and I (and DH) were afraid of overmedicating. I believe in general it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for all dairy to get out of your system.

Good luck with your head cold, and if you don't have any go and grab some Super C from Wal Mart (it is like Emergen C, but tastes better).

(oh, and I haven't forgetten about the sterilizing and pumping bags, I'll get them out to you this weekend!)

Thanks Annie. It's so nice hearing retrospective experiences and just if nothing else it reminds me that it WILL end at some point. We'll figure it out, get through, outgrow it, whatever. Just hard to see that sometimes when you are exhausted and overwhelmed!

hellbennt
06-08-2012, 06:43 AM
melaine! I know what it's like to be overwhelmed!:hug:

zantac: most babies seem to 'plateu' on it & then it can be time to 'move on' to another med, a PPI (prevacid, prilosec, zegerid, nexium)

max zantac dose by weight is 10mg/kilo, so you most likely have room to increase your lo's dose. peds & ped GIs dose differently. tell me how much baby weighs & I can calculate proper zantac dose for you (don't just take my word on this!) read here:
Zantac dosing- my/other’s question (has axid & pepcid doses, too):
http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8288&PN=1 (http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8288&PN=1)

as for how long to see a change - every change seems to take about 2 weeks. after eliminating all dairy for two weeks & there's no change in diapers/poop/gas, then it might be time to try eliminating something else- this is where it can also get overwhelming- is it what I'm eating? Is it that baby needs more meds? both?

I did the Dr. Sears Elimination Diet out of desperation, even though I didn't think/feel it was my diet...but I was desperate!
it's 'only' two weeks and there is so much info 'out there' now, then there was when I did it. It did help bcse I found my ds reacted to (some odd!) things I ate: citrus, tomatoes & tomato products, egplant & tuna.

hang in there!

Melaine
06-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Thank you Laura! My DS is probably 9lbs and a couple oz at this point. They are having him take .6 (ml?) twice a day. Does that sound right?

I do feel like there are so many variables at play. I was medically tired going into this from our 6 weeks dealing with jaundice, going into the ped every couple days was getting really old, then we had formula for 36 hours which I was terrified would affect my supply. Then they realized he had a UTI so 10 days of antibiotics which I know could upset his tummy. So I was wondering if his discomfort was due to: UTI symptoms, antibiotic side-effects, possible sensitivity to something in my diet, sensitivity to formula which we have given every few days, reflux (which I expected because the girls had it so badly). Then if we had a day or two of improvement I was racking my brain trying to figure out what that could be: difference in my diet, I forgot to take my prenatal, I forgot to take my iron supplement, I happened to eat less gluten, maybe I had less caffeine, maybe the zantac is starting to help? etc. etc. etc.

I am just amazed that anyone can figure anything out! And how can you handle complicated dietary gymnastics while being a SAHM to multiple children and getting by on broken and limited sleep while recovering from major abdominal surgery?!?! (I may possibly be having a mild panic attack now)

hellbennt
06-08-2012, 07:08 AM
9lbs = 4.1 kilos
max dose is 10mgs/kg

so 4.1 x 10 = 41
that's 41mgs, total for the day of zantac
your bottle of liquid zantac says 15mgs/ml
this means that for every 1ml of liquid you give, there's 15mgs of the medicine zantac in that1ml of liquid
so 41 divided by 15 = 2.7mls a day of zantac, total for the day

current dose is .6 x 2 = 1.2 mls

you have room to increase your dose!
you can divide doses 'unevenly' and give higher portion at night/evening or whenver the roughest time is

also you can give mylanta cherry supreme - it's the one variety of mylanta that does not contain aluminum. this particular kind of mylanta actually isn't made anymore, but you can find store brand equivalents try: rite-aid, cvs brand, walmart, target, Bartell Drug (West coast), Dollar General: brand name Geri-Care, Geri-Lanta Supreme, meijer, etc- just look for one that does not list aluminum in the ingredients. you can give 1ml up to 5 times a day- it's safe, even for newborns. if you see loose stools back off.