PDA

View Full Version : Men's Bathing Suits - Speedo ?

LD92599
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Does your DH/SO wear a Speedo style bathing suit?

ahisma
06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
No. No one in our area does. We spend the bulk of the summer at the beach and I've seen ONE man wearing one - our cottage neighbor who lives in his all summer.

jgenie
06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Not a snowball's chance......

wellyes
06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
No, but I see guys in the gym wearing them - the ones who are serious swimmers.

SnuggleBuggles
06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
No. No one in our area does. We spend the bulk of the summer at the beach and I've seen ONE man wearing one - our cottage neighbor who lives in his all summer.

:yeahthat:

And if he did, I'd LMAO. :)

Twoboos
06-01-2012, 08:39 PM
No, no and no. If he did I'd send him back to change!

One of my uncles (by marriage) wears one. I've been giggling at him for years, and so has the rest of my family!! :ROTFLMAO:

citymama
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
All I can say is :ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO: at the thought!

elliput
06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I only expect to see a Speedo on someone who is in training or in competition. Speedo's at the family pool or the beach only impress the wearer.:rolleye0014:

swrc00
06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
I was sort of expecting the kids on the swim team where DS takes lessons to wear a speedo style swim suit. It is a top training center for swimmers in the country. They actually all wear a longer style of bicycle shorts.

american_mama
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know hardly anyone who wears these anymore. Even as a child, my dad had swim trunks. The young boys on the swim team wear the equivalent of bike shorts, not sure about high school level. We went on a tour last summer in the Dominican Republic with mostly Europeans (mostly German and Dutch, one Spanish couple) and all the men except one wore trunks.

crl
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Can't believe you didn't have a Hell No option.

Catherine

kozachka
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
My DS who is on the swim team wears racers for practice and competition. He also has jammers (which look like bike shorts) but much prefers Speedo style racers since he can move easier in those, it's like "smiwimming naked" he says.

I grew up in the former Soviet Union, and ALL men, no matter what size or age, wore racers. The first time I saw my future DH wearing swimming shorts I laughed at him. I thought it was ridiculous to cover up that much on the beach. I got used to longer swimwear but still prefer the shorter shorts as long as the guy is in shape. So it's all about what you are used to. I still don't get why women in this country make such a big deal about wearing bikinis, where I grew up, all women, but the very old and big ones, wore them. I get very hot in a one-piece suit on the beach.

daisymommy
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Over my dead body...

MontrealMum
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
No freaking way. Last time he did wear one was when he was actively competing in triathalons.

The only guys who wear them up here (and aren't athletes) are what DH calls the "Quebec leatherback". These are old guys, with a huge pot that hangs over the suit so far you can't even see that they're wearing one, with a totally browned, leathery complexion from laying out in the sun May thru Sept.

Giantbear
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure 'hell no' is strong enough

infomama
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Catherine

My thoughts exactly. Hell to the no is my answer.

ZeeBaby
06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
The thought is hilarious. I would be mortified and act like I didn't know him lol

Fairy
06-02-2012, 12:09 AM
My friends and I saw an older guy at the pool of the Sportsmans' in LA a couple years ago in a Banana Hammock, and I just didn't get it at all. I tried not to laugh, and we were separated by the glass of the restaurant, so I'd never say a word to his face, but we were all turning red from the giggles. It was, uh, hairy down there.

essnce629
06-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Ewwww, NO!!!!

kijip
06-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Not exactly the same thing but my husband hates baggy wet swim trunks and in recent years we have started seeing men's swim trunks get longer and baggier. He has something like this (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106813&page=4&cp=3124322.3124332.11859612.3124359) which he will wear if he is trying to swim or be in the water a lot. Not the tiny tight racer version. But it is more like a speedo than what most men wear. If anything, his is a little more coverage than the one in the link. He has a couple of pairs of swim trunks/board shorts that are a bit shorter and slimmer than the to the knee length and super baggy ones. It is getting harder to find ones that don't resemble zoot suits or sagging jeans wear. He wears the trunks when he may be getting wet and splashing but not really swimming much. The bunching fabric bugs him. He is not a serious swimmer (he is a poor swimmer at his very best) but he likes to be in the water and is trying to learn to swim better. He is in shape, the smaller suit looks fine on him. He has a rash guard too for sun protection.

My 70 year old father insists on wearing a classic speedo. They did not have big swim trunks when he was young and he can't stand them. It is hilarious but thankfully I come from a family with minute amounts of body hair. My dad is no exception to this. He can't grow a beard and has no back, belly or upper leg hair. Of course I mainly only know this because he insists on wearing a speedo to swim. :ROTFLMAO:

fedoragirl
06-02-2012, 06:12 AM
I see classic Speedos all the time where I live. I was a little uncomfortable about them a few years ago but now I don't even bat an eye.

LD92599
06-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I see classic Speedos all the time where I live. I was a little uncomfortable about them a few years ago but now I don't even bat an eye.

Definitely seems to be a eurupean thing for sure (you're not in the US correct?). Can't wait to see what we see on our upcoming cruise!

edurnemk
06-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Catherine

Over my dead body...

Trigglet
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
DH wears speedos because he's a serious swimmer (>10 miles a week) and there's just no way to swim properly in the absurdly baggy knee-length trunks that seem to make up the majority of current mens' swimwear. On the beach he wears Villebrequins. I don't love the speedos, but he's in great shape, so I don't really have much to complain about :D