PDA

View Full Version : I need NYC (and other city) moms input on BJCM and mass transit

hipstamom
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm about to be a second time mom and been out of the loop for a decade.

One thing I hated about my Maclaren was the fold. Never again! Its only saving grace was the compact fold. Everything else was a pain!

BJCM is really tempting me with its easy one-hand fold. But how compact is the fold in terms of riding a city bus? (some of the newer buses are roomier but in my neighborhood you still see older buses 50% of the time.)

Can you carry it up the subway steps unfolded ("bumping" it up/down the steps)? Or folded? I live in the outer boroughs and almost all the train lines are elevated.

How does it fare in terms of taxis?

Any other stroller recommendations?

Thanks,

Angelina

TwinFoxes
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome! Is a baby sling not an option? I don't have any personal experience with them (I have twins) but they seem like they would be much better for the type of commuting it seems like you'll be doing.

MontrealMum
06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Welcome!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but here's my experience with mass transit in a large-ish city. I live in Montreal and often took mass transit (metro/bus) when DS was little. It's frowned upon here to take a stroller on the bus (though not forbidden) so I never did it. Even folded, there just wouldn't be any room. When DS was teeny tiny I wore him, and when he was older I just held him on my lap. Our bus trips were generally door-to-door. Because of how our transit system works the trips that I needed a stroller for were usually on the Metro, not the bus. I took our Mac on the Metro with no problems and DS sat in it the entire time. I carried the entire stroller, DS and all, down whatever steps there were, and balanced it on escalators where they have them. Very few stations in our system have elevators.

hipstamom
06-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome! Is a baby sling not an option? I don't have any personal experience with them (I have twins) but they seem like they would be much better for the type of commuting it seems like you'll be doing.

I tried a baby bjorn and a sling with DS. The baby bjorn killed my back so hubster used it mainly. The sling hurt my back too and my son hated it. It was a padded sling w/ a ring (don't remember the name though)

So I don't know if a sling would work for me. If I'm able to do VBAC then maybe it might work.

hipstamom
06-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Welcome!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be but here's my experience with mass transit in a large-ish city. I live in Montreal and often took mass transit (metro/bus) when DS was little. It's frowned upon here to take a stroller on the bus (though not forbidden) so I never did it. Even folded, there just wouldn't be any room. When DS was teeny tiny I wore him, and when he was older I just held him on my lap. Our bus trips were generally door-to-door. Because of how our transit system works the trips that I needed a stroller for were usually on the Metro, not the bus. I took our Mac on the Metro with no problems and DS sat in it the entire time. I carried the entire stroller, DS and all, down whatever steps there were, and balanced it on escalators where they have them. Very few stations in our system have elevators.

I never rode the bus there but I did take the Metro. The MTA is very similar in terms of limited stations having elevators. In NYC, plenty of people take strollers on buses but it has to be folded. Thankfully, trains don't have those restrictions.

mmommy
06-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm in NYC. Lots of BJCM users here, but they're considered neighborhood strollers, not mass transit worthy. Too bulky and heavy for that. Wearing babies and having toddlers walk or ride an umbrella are still the best options IME.

queenmama
06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
A recommendation on babywearing: wraps can be worn in many ways, and I find the front wrap cross is most comfortable for us. Having Baby supported by both shoulders makes a tremendous difference. Even the cross cradle isn't as good for me because I don't like the pressure of the wrap around my back.

Just a thought, in case you want to give it a try!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Multimama
06-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I use a BJCM on the bus. I love folding it to get on because you just lift and go, but getting off I always have to lay it down on the ground and then pick it up to unfold, which is a pain and kind of icky since the seat bottom is then on the ground. DH can unfold it without setting it down though so maybe I could if I practiced.

I would *not* use one on an NYC subway though. They are just too crowded. I would only consider an umbrella fold for the subway if I needed a stroller there. Tall and skinny is just better than short and wide in that kind of space.

I agree that babywearing is the way to go on mass transit. The Baby Bjorn is known as a back killer. Try a different semi-structured carrier. I am enjoying my Beco Gemini.

MontrealMum
06-03-2012, 12:42 AM
There are tons of other carriers that are miles better than the Bjorn! Trust me, that's what we started out with ;) It's a total backbreaker because there's no waist belt.

The two more comfortable carriers that I'm familiar with are the Beco and the Ergo but if you head on over to the carriers forum (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59) you will get some great advice on current offerings. The Beco is fairly novel here and I'm still answering questions from pregnant moms about our carrier - even though DS is 4.5 and well out of one! I guess I made an impression.

Philly Mom
06-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I used my bjorn twice when DD was 8 lbs. never been in such pain. My mom then bought me a cybex 2 go and I can still carry DD at 10 months and 20+ pounds. I did it yesterday through a farmers market and she was bouncing around and my back feels great today. I would find a new carrier to.

As an aside, I can open and close my bjcm easily and have done so one handed on many occasions.

Eagletmom
06-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I have occasionally taken public transit in and around Boston with my babies. If i am alone i prefer to take my Kinderpack soft structured carrier. The Kinderpack is super comfy and it the only carrier i have tried (and i have tried dozens) that evenly distributes the babies weight for me. I lived in NY for about a year without kids and I can't imagine taking a stroller alone on the bus or subways. But it you had to take a stroller the umbrella would still be the way to go. I know the fold is a pain but I wouldn't want to be lugging 15 lbs or more up and down a stairwell. Maybe you could try an uppababy gluxe or cybex onyx instead of a Maclaren. Def. try some out IRL in a store before you make a descion.

hipstamom
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm in NYC. Lots of BJCM users here, but they're considered neighborhood strollers, not mass transit worthy. Too bulky and heavy for that. Wearing babies and having toddlers walk or ride an umbrella are still the best options IME.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I guess I have to head on over to the carrier board and find out what my options are. I'm just leery of carriers in general because of what happened.

hipstamom
06-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I have occasionally taken public transit in and around Boston with my babies. If i am alone i prefer to take my Kinderpack soft structured carrier. The Kinderpack is super comfy and it the only carrier i have tried (and i have tried dozens) that evenly distributes the babies weight for me. I lived in NY for about a year without kids and I can't imagine taking a stroller alone on the bus or subways. But it you had to take a stroller the umbrella would still be the way to go. I know the fold is a pain but I wouldn't want to be lugging 15 lbs or more up and down a stairwell. Maybe you could try an uppababy gluxe or cybex onyx instead of a Maclaren. Def. try some out IRL in a store before you make a descion.

I know what you mean... I had the Maclaren Techno and that was 16 - 17lb. If I had to get an umbrella stroller then I wouldn't get a Maclaren again.

I'm just dreading carriers, LOL! I know I gotta get one though. Thanks for the recommendations!

AnnieW625
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I know what you mean... I had the Maclaren Techno and that was 16 - 17lb. If I had to get an umbrella stroller then I wouldn't get a Maclaren again.

I'm just dreading carriers, LOL! I know I gotta get one though. Thanks for the recommendations!

We used a Triumph on public transportation in LA, Boston, and San Francisco. Worked like a charm, and it is easier to fold than the Techno because it is shorter and it is 4lbs. lighter. I could easily fold the Triumph holding a toddler if need be. Easy peasy. If I could not buy another Maclaren stroller today I would look at the Mamas and Papas strollers at BRUS as they have a model that is similar in size to a Triumph, and the push is nice as well. A lot of people here also like the Uppa Baby G Lite, and G Luxe umbrella strollers.

As far as a carrier goes I like the Beco Butterfly, but the Beco Gemini also allows for a hip carry so that might be a good one to look at as well.

Jennifer626
06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
My friend used to live in Brooklyn and bought the smallest Cybex (Ruby?) and loved that for the bus and subways.

For carriers, I love love love my Ergo. Definetly give another carrier a try, there are so many that are WAY better than the Bjorn!

swissair81
06-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I've used both a Mac quest and techno on public transportation in NYC.

hipstamom
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree that babywearing is the way to go on mass transit. The Baby Bjorn is known as a back killer.
:yeahthat:
My back got screwed up from the c-sec. So I really need something that won't put stress on my lower back for sure. I will check out the Beco and post over on the carrier board as well.

swissair81
06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I like my Baby Hawk mei tai- it doesn't have any buckles, so it's super simple to slip into a diaper bag. I wore it after my last baby with a dislocated sacroiliac.

lmh2402
06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
when riding the subways, i wore DS and skipped a stroller all together until he was old enough to safely use a mac quest. my girlfriend used her bjcm on the subways all the time and thought it was fine, but for me, i definitely didn't like it. (i have/had one and keep it at my parents house - it's perfect IMO for easy neighborhood walks, etc.)

i specifically/especially didn't like when dealing with those exits that are the tall/narrow turnstile thing-ys...not the ones that flipped at the hip (not sure if i'm explaining myself well, but kwim?)

she would have to walk to the other exit option b/c the bjcm seemed too awkward to fit through. but the quest was just a quick fold and then hung from my shoulder while we breezed through

AnnieW625
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
:yeahthat:
My back got screwed up from the c-sec. So I really need something that won't put stress on my lower back for sure. I will check out the Beco and post over on the carrier board as well.

I have a bad back (due to a skiing accident) and I found the Ergo uncomfortable. It is going to be a personal preference.

hipstamom
06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
when riding the subways, i wore DS and skipped a stroller all together until he was old enough to safely use a mac quest. my girlfriend used her bjcm on the subways all the time and thought it was fine, but for me, i definitely didn't like it. (i have/had one and keep it at my parents house - it's perfect IMO for easy neighborhood walks, etc.)

i specifically/especially didn't like when dealing with those exits that are the tall/narrow turnstile thing-ys...not the ones that flipped at the hip (not sure if i'm explaining myself well, but kwim?)

she would have to walk to the other exit option b/c the bjcm seemed too awkward to fit through. but the quest was just a quick fold and then hung from my shoulder while we breezed through

You mean the turnstiles...and yeah you explained it well :) I don't like the walk-through turnstiles regardless, I get claustrophobic in those. I always used the handicapped exits with my Mac when possible because that's the easiest way to go. Then again, this was before the silver metal ones were out. Some stations still had the "cage style" and I was terrified of those.

The Mac's 2 step fold was difficult because my son was a runner. So I would use the handicap entrance and leave him strapped in and carry him up/down the stairs.