PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get their windows professionally cleaned?

essnce629
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
DBF said he would clean our windows, but we bought the house a year and a half ago and the windows still haven't been cleaned. They need a good washing inside and out and the screens as well. I don't see him having time to thoroughly clean 16 windows and doors any time soon so I think I may just hire someone to do it.

Has anyone else ever had their windows professionally cleaned? How much did it cost and how long did it take? And how often do you get it done-- multiple times a year, once a year, every few years?

Kindra178
06-02-2012, 05:34 PM
The estimates we have received for our house this year are high (around $425). But we have a 1908 prairie style house with original casement windows and stained glass and three stories of living space plus basement windows. We did it in 2010 (won it at a school auction actually then) and we will be paying for it this year. Our screens are filthy. I think a professional cleaning 2x a year would be ideal, but expensive. Hopefully we will do it every spring going forward.

Definitely shop around because estimates really vary widely. It is worth every penny; so nice to see outside.

hillview
06-02-2012, 06:37 PM
We are had ours done 2 years ago and just got a new estimate. We have an old large house -- bet there are 30 windows (it is a 2 family) and the estimate we just got was 575. Ideally we'd do it 2x a year but once a year would be good!

cvanbrunt
06-02-2012, 06:45 PM
We had 39 windows done. They took the storm window off and washed it and the window. I think it was around 500 bucks.

erosenst
06-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I want to say that we have 36 windows - including a triple slider, etc. They're not casement, and we don't have screens. Inside and out was $240. I found them through Angie's List. We've used them a few times and have been very very pleased. Want to say they were done in about 4 hours. We also had them clean the (nasty - really really nasty) flush mount lights on our porch - it was an extra charge and well worth it.

We have it done every year or so.

niccig
06-02-2012, 09:15 PM
We're a single story so I do ours with regular A frame ladder. If you get someone in, tell them to keep an eye out for any wood rot. Cleaning the windows is when I notice needed repairs. I have to do ours this summer - I'll do it over 2 days, but that's not full days. I'm way overdue doing it and I know it will be a PITA, but look so good when done.

nupe
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Just had it done again $290. Larger than average house in my area.

Trigglet
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I had the most astounding shock at the cost of this service when I first moved to the US - I am used to a monthly window-cleaning service that costs $10 a month! In the UK a window-cleaner does pretty much the whole street (or subdivision) and it takes him no time at all. I really don't understand why it's so expensive and unusual a service here. One of those inexplicable cultural differences! :)

essnce629
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

I found two window cleaning businesses on Yelp that had excellent reviews and emailed them both for estimates after measuring and counting all my windows. We're in Los Angeles, so our house is single story and not that big (1850 sq ft) and we just have 14 windows, 2 french doors, and a few more doors with glass. One place quoted me $165-$175 and the other place said $150-$200. This includes the interior, exterior, and screens. Sounds good to me so I think I'll have someone come out next week! Looking forward to it!

khm
06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
We have 34 windows, 4 at 3 story height. TOTALLY worth having a company do it. They charge by the pane, so fortunately, our 34 windows are actually 34 panes, whew.

The company only charges $190. Completely worth it, they have all the right equipment and are in and out in no time. They dust off the screens in and out, too. We are usually a DIY-type people, but not windows!

happymomma
06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Dh and I just cleaned the downstairs windows and it looks awesome. We had changed all our windows when we moved into the house. So the windows tilt so that we can clean the outside pane without having to be outside. We just had to use a ladder for the picture window. We will have to do the upstairs panels later. Bit it does look so much better.

HannaAddict
06-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Yes. They do a fabulous job and seem to negotiate and lower the quote. Our house now would be literally
Impossible for me to safely do the windows and I'd need a huge extension ladder.

niccig
06-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks everyone!

I found two window cleaning businesses on Yelp that had excellent reviews and emailed them both for estimates after measuring and counting all my windows. We're in Los Angeles, so our house is single story and not that big (1850 sq ft) and we just have 14 windows, 2 french doors, and a few more doors with glass. One place quoted me $165-$175 and the other place said $150-$200. This includes the interior, exterior, and screens. Sounds good to me so I think I'll have someone come out next week! Looking forward to it!

Can you PM me the name of the company you end up using if they were good? I really need ours to be done this Summer and I may not have time to get to it.

Thanks.

essnce629
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Can you PM me the name of the company you end up using if they were good? I really need ours to be done this Summer and I may not have time to get to it.
Thanks.

Sure! These are the two companies I got estimates from. Not sure which one I'm using yet.

Bio Clean Window Washing
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bio-clean-window-washing-los-angeles-2

SudBud Window Cleaning
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sudbud-window-cleaning-los-angeles-2