PDA

View Full Version : anyone NOT have new baby sleep in their room?

Smith_Family
06-02-2012, 08:44 PM
when my daughter was born almost 5 years go, we had a pack n play with the bassinet in our room. I intended for her to sleep there for a month or so. It lasted maybe 3 days and then i moved her to her own room in her crib. She slept so much better in there and I think I slept better as well.

Still....I feel kind of guilty about it. It seems like nearly everyone has their babies either in a bassinet or co-sleeping with them in the beginning. This baby is due in a month and I am trying to decide if i should even bother setting up the pack n play in our room. Anyone else have their newborn go straight to their nursery and crib?

I should also mention that his nursery was our guest room and has a bed in it. So i can always sleep in that bed if he is having a bad night.

Dr C
06-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes. DS (my first) was in his own crib in his own room from day 1. We had a TINY bedroom and there wasn't room for a bassinet. Also the cats we had at the time slept in our room and I worried about them snuggling up with him, so having him in our bed wasn't a good option either. It was fine.

Fast forward to DD--new house, room for bassinet, no more cats. We set up a PNP in our room (since that's what everybody does). It lasted 2 weeks. After that she was upstairs with a monitor in her own crib, own room. We all slept much better.

If we ever had another one I wouldn't even bother with setting up a bed in our room.

elephantmeg
06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
DD slept in a bouncy seat near me cause she couldn't sleep period. Ugh. That lasted maybe 2-3 weeks then she moved to the 1/2 bath for another couple weeks then in with DS.

DS slept next to me for 2-3 weeks then in the bathroom for another week and then to his crib.

DH was NOT helpful about helping to get them in the night and I had 2 c-sections and my side of the bed is the furthest from the door (and he wouldn't trade with me) so I think it was more for me than anything!

queenmama
06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
We co-slept -- are currently co-sleeping! -- with both of our kids. I don't think it matters where Baby sleeps as long as everyone is sleeping! That sounds like a PC answer but I mean it. Having a newborn is so exhausting that you have to do whatever works to get through the night! For us, that just happens to be with Baby next to us.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

carolinamama
06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes. DS2 was our only baby that spent any significant planned time in our room - maybe 4 weeks? in a bassinet. DS1 coslept in our guest room with me for the first 8 weeks because he just didn't sleep, then on to his crib. DD went to her own room pretty quickly because she did sleep well from the beginning and I don't sleep well through baby noises. She slept in the FP Rock n Soother thing and I just had it set up in the nursery.

Bottom line - whatever works. I can hear a baby down the hall just as well as I can next to me and I have never mastered bfing lying down or even sitting up in bed. I like to bf in the nursery glider anyway so it just makes sense to have the baby in there too. All of my babies have coslept at times as needed but I learned fast that the family bed isn't for me. Before kids, I thought I would love it, but alas, it didn't work for me full time.

AngelaS
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
My first slept in our room for five weeks. We all slept horribly.

My second slept in our room for half of the first night.

My third slept in her room the first night home. They all survived and are doing fine. ;)

SkyrMommy
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think it matters where Baby sleeps as long as everyone is sleeping!

:yeahthat:
DD never slept in our room at night, I just couldn't fall asleep with her there. Once in her room with the monitor on I could and she slept just fine where ever she was. With DS coming we'll see, I'm scheduled for a second c-section and DH is good about bringing the baby to me but getting up seemed to help me heal too, so we'll see what this time around brings.

Whatever works best for you & baby is just right.

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Ds1 was in his room at 2 weeks but sometimes he co-slept, like after the 4am feeding when we just decided not yo take him back to his room. I slept better with him not with us though. Ds2 co slept till 4-5m. Eta I really valued my sleep with him so took the easiest path. I could sleep fine.

LD92599
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
DS1 slept in our room in a bassinet for night #1 home. That was enough LOL! Night 2 and forward....crib in his room.

DS2 - started out night #1 in his crib and man does he LOVE his crib. Walks right to it at nap and bed!

I clearly remember the 1 night of the bassinet - i don't think ANYONE slept!

swrc00
06-02-2012, 10:19 PM
DS slept in his crib in his own room on Day One. I think it really helped to establish good sleep habits. He was also formula fed. Since I knew I was going to be mixing a bottle, it was just as easy to go down the hallway and feed him. It also allowed whoever was "off duty" at the time to stay in bed and not be disturbed while DS was eating.

Jen841
06-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I could not sleep with them there, I would listen to each breath and was scared. I needed some distance.

123LuckyMom
06-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I fully intended for DS to sleep in a co-sleeper from day 1, but he had other ideas! He was horribly colicky and hardly slept at all without being held for quite a while. We probably could have moved him as soon as he would sleep out of arms, but we thought he needed to be in the bed. We moved him at 9 months, I think, and we all slept much better. DD is already sleeping in a bassinet at 9 weeks. I'm keeping her in our room for ease of nightly feedings. Nothing wakes her, so we don't mind having her with us for now.

swissair81
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I cosleep, but like other said, that's because that's what works. If something else worked, I would not mind my own sleeping space.

Smith_Family
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
thanks everyone! It makes me feel much better knowing others had a hard time sleeping with their LO's as well. I guess all I can do is wait and see how this baby sleeps and what his patterns are like.

bigsis
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I didn't, however, YOU shouldn't feel guilty. My love for my kids is in no way, shape, or form deeper than your love for yours just because of the sleeping arrangements. Do what will help you and the babies sleep better. :)

sweetsue98
06-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Dd1 went straight to get crib the minute she got home from the hospital.Dd2 is in our room right now since the girls would have to share a room.

crl
06-03-2012, 12:45 AM
We kept dd in our room for about three or four weeks. She was a LOUD sleeper and I couldn't sleep with her in the room. No problems transitioning her to her room/crib. I agree with the general idea that whatever gets the most people the most sleep is a great plan (assuming it is safe--and I do think co-sleeping can be done safely although we have never done it).

Catherine

roseyloxs
06-03-2012, 03:41 AM
She was a LOUD sleeper and I couldn't sleep with her in the room.

So my kids aren't the only ones? I thought ds was loud until dd came around. SO loud! I can hear her breathing in the next room. :ROTFLMAO:

zag95
06-03-2012, 05:23 AM
First night home we tried the pack n play at the foot of the bed- too noisy! So dd went into her crib in her room- worked out fine from the get go.

DD #2 will start out in her crib. Just easier to sleep for all.

Seitvonzu
06-03-2012, 09:43 AM
this is really enlightening! DD stayed in our room (in her pack and play bassinet) until she was nearly 4 months old... i just thought that was what people did! i was trying to make it until 6 months but we were all so so miserable at that point, we put her in the crib and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

i will be smarter if there is a next time (and guilt free!) ) :)

AnnieW625
06-03-2012, 11:59 AM
We co-slept -- are currently co-sleeping! -- with both of our kids. I don't think it matters where Baby sleeps as long as everyone is sleeping! That sounds like a PC answer but I mean it. Having a newborn is so exhausting that you have to do whatever works to get through the night! For us, that just happens to be with Baby next to us.

Not co sleepers and both of my girls slept in our room (DD1 in a pnp until 3 months old at night, and about 6 weeks for nap; and DD2 till about 6 weeks for both night and naps), but yes as long as everyone is sleeping I don't have any issues with babies not sleeping in the same room as their parents. In fact when DD1 was born I thought she would miraculously come home from the hospital and sleep in a crib. That didn't work at all. I went and got a pnp when she was 4 days old.

trcy
06-03-2012, 01:32 PM
DD hated her crib in the begining. She slept in the PNP bassinet in our room for almost 6 mo. I was BF and it took her almost that long to sleep through the night. Plus, her room and our room are on different levels so it was just easier to have her in our room. No way you should feel guilty. You have to do what works.

Green22
06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I did the same as you though our apt was too small for s pnp so we used a borrowed bassinet. Dd and i hated it.

With ds i felt guilty/like i missed out on something so i bought the arms reach co sleeper mini. I really really like it and ds sleeps just fine in it (when he sleeps). I would highly rec it if you want to try it different this time around.

crl
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
So my kids aren't the only ones? I thought ds was loud until dd came around. SO loud! I can hear her breathing in the next room. :ROTFLMAO:

Definitely not the only one. Once she got to be older (don't remember when really) she stopped being so loud, but she just snuffled or grunted or whatever so LOUD.

Catherine