PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old sleeping situation help needed!

todzwife
06-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Our 2 year old was awesome about sleeping in her rock and play sleeper until she outgrew it at about 8 months. Our crib was an old drop sided one that we lost all the screws to in one of our moves so DH got rid of it. She's been in a pack and play in our room since. She ends up in our bed a LOT. Although I don't mind, she does hog the bed, and DH ends up sleeping on the couch.

We are so ready to get her out of our room. Right now, DD1 has unbunked bunk beds in her room. I am terrified to have them bunked until the kids all get older. We could easily take 1 bed apart though and store it in the garage.

Do we just try putting her in the twin bed w/ a bed rail? Or do we store it and buy a crib?

She can sort of climb out of the pack and play, although she gets stuck about half way. Should I just put the pack and play in DD1's room?

I should mention that we may not have any more kids. I still want one more but DH doesn't. I was thinking if I do get a crib, I'd get the $70 bare bones one from ikea when I go this week.

123LuckyMom
06-03-2012, 01:19 AM
If you're using the pack n play as a crib now, I would continue to do so. Aside from being able to climb out, I can't think of any safety issues, though maybe there's something I don't know that some other wise parent does. Also, a toddler who can climb out of a pack n play will also be able to climb out of a crib, so a crib would not necessarily be better. I think 2 may be a little young for a big bed, but that's just me. My mother started bugging us to move DS at 18 months! That would have been such a disaster. I shudder to think...

lalasmama
06-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Have you tried putting her on a normal bed for a nap? If not, I'd try that first... Then you could see how determined she is at jail breaking--I mean, getting out of bed/bedroom. If she refuses to sleep in the big kid bed, then I would switch her to the PNP in her bedroom instead of yours. It won't necessarily be easy, but if you are ready for it, then you can do it!

For weeks, DD slept next to me, but not in bed with me (we actually slept out on the couch [me] and loveseat [her]). After she was sleeping reasonably well, I started moving her into her own bed after she was asleep, then after a few more weeks, I started putting her to bed in her own bed, but with the door open. (This was when she was a foster child, and scared that something was going to happen if she wasn't right.next.to.me.all.the.time, so I made the changes REALLY slowly!) Eventually, we worked up to starting her sleeping in her own bed, with a rail, mattress on the floor (rail to keep a "crib" feel to it), and, after a while, she would fall asleep in her own bed :)

Good luck :cheerleader1: You can do it!