PDA

View Full Version : Grocery list WWYD?

MontrealMum
06-03-2012, 04:28 AM
I sent DH to the grocery store with a list today. I'm sure the misunderstandings are mostly my fault as I wrote the list for myself, not for him, but I'm kind of curious all the same ;)

Keep in mind that it's unseasonably cold and regardless of what you do and don't eat nowadays, your partner grew up eating the canned stuff.

So, what would you do in this instance?

new_mommy25
06-03-2012, 04:41 AM
LOL, I almost voted buy some other brand but then I realized it was clearly marked on the list. Always stick to the list. :)

TwinFoxes
06-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Oops, sorry Molly, I misread the poll, I voted "other tomato soup". But I'd buy Campbell's. if it was on the list. :) I'm guessing maybe you got butternut squash soup AND cookies?

momm
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Cookies, of course. Your DH IS pregnant and craving cookies, plus he can't read, correct?

crl
06-03-2012, 09:40 AM
If it was a list made by someone else and it said "Campbell's tomato soup" I would buy that, exactly, in a can.

If it was a list I made, I'd buy the cheapest tomato soup in a can they had.

Catherine

fivi2
06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
If it was a list made by someone else and it said "Campbell's tomato soup" I would buy that, exactly, in a can.

Catherine

I would do this. Dh would either come home with tomato soup made by someone (anyone) OR some soup made by Campbell's (maybe or maybe not tomato). Coin toss as to which he would do. Odds are against him coming home with Campbell's tomato soup.

MamaMolly
06-03-2012, 10:30 AM
:popc1: dying to know what your DH brought!

elbenn
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
After 5 phone calls to me trying to locate the soup aisle, DH would declare that they don't carry Campbell's soup anymore--in fact they don't carry any soup anymore.

awoodm
06-03-2012, 10:51 AM
After 5 phone calls to me trying to locate the soup aisle, DH would declare that they don't carry Campbell's soup anymore--in fact they don't carry any soup anymore.

:yeahthat:

MontrealMum
06-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing maybe you got butternut squash soup AND cookies?

Yep.

I just had to post this to check that I'm not going nuts and the communication problem originated with DH and not me. I like the suggestion that he's both pregnant and illiterate :hysterical:

JustMe
06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
LOL! Too funny (but I can imagine is also frustrating). Thanks for the morning laugh.

doberbrat
06-03-2012, 12:24 PM
you need "other" .....

If you sent ME to the store with a list that said Campbells tomato soup, I would come home with Cambells tomato soup in a can.

DH would come home with delicious cookies, 10 boxes of flavored rice, (b/c its a sale!), 10 boxes of jello, coke, Iced tea, and some frozen pizza. If I'm very lucky, I'd get Campbells tomato soup, along with chicken noodle, clam chowder, and some beef/pasta thing.

hillview
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
DH would come home with tomatoes and say "it's the same thing" OR he'd come home with apples that he THOUGHT were tomatoes.

rin
06-03-2012, 03:12 PM

:ROTFLMAO::yeahthat:

DH doesn't really go grocery shopping anymore. It was not conducive to marital harmony.

erosenst
06-03-2012, 03:37 PM
It took a little while, but we've both become trained. If I *print* something on the list that we always buy, he will come home with that. If I *print* something he doesn't know, and ideally show him the 'almost gone' version or describe it well (and ideally also describe something similar that I don't want) I will get the right thing. It will take him much longer at the store than it would take me, as he enjoys looking at everything, and it's almost a given stuff not on the list will come home too. Oh... And I try very hard to describe the desired quantity so he doesn't buy enough for everyone on the street.

One of the stories from our marriage will always be the time I sent him to the store to buy stuff for DD's diaper rash. He couldn't find it and asked for help. The nice pharmacist showed him, but then said corn starch always worked for his kids. DH knew by then to bring home what he was sent for, so brought both. Good thing, as it was a yeast infection and corn starch is about the worst thing for it. :)

In full disclosure DH now does most of our grocery shopping. I've learned that having a few things I'm not crazy about is worth having him willing to make the mid-week runs as there's a store right by his office.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

trcy
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
:hysterical:Are we married to the same man???

BabbyO
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: Exactly.

If DH were shopping (which he usually does) I would write "GENERIC or ROUNDYS" on the list and pray that he came home with a generic brand. He grew up eating ALL name brands of everything.

Not that I get to eat it anymore (DS' are dairy allergic/sensitive) but back when we'd eat boxed mac n cheese every once in a while, Kraft tasted SO weird to me because I grew up eating generic. :D