PDA

View Full Version : Did you get your buyer's agent a gift when you bought your home?

daisyd
06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
I'm told realtor's are paid at the closing by the seller. But I'm wondering if it might be a nice gesture to get mine a little something. She's got DS a little gift that he loved and I was thinking of reciprocating. Did you get your buyer's agent a gift when you bought your home? If so, would you mind sharing what you got? Thanks!

amldaley
06-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Nope. No gift. Unless she went to some extraordinary lengths for you. They get a commission, after all. You could invite her to diiner, maybe.

specialp
06-03-2012, 07:11 AM
No, we didn't. Our agent for our first home 10 yrs ago brought us a gift (bench) a week after we had moved in. It surprised us, but BIL who is an agent in a different state said he does this (gift to the buyer) as well as a good business practice. Very sweet to give your DS a gift he liked so much so I'm sure anything you give back will be appreciated.

marymoo86
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
NO - quite the opposite. I would think the realtor would give YOU a small housewarming gift to show that he/she appreciated your business.

daisyd
06-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks, you had some useful insights. I figured the gift to DS was a good business move. I really can't say she's gone to extraordinary lengths, in fact DH would say quite the opposite...

belovedgandp
06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
No. If the agent had gone above and beyond maybe. But in the end we found the house and said we want to see this one. We only worked with him 6 days before finding this house. The whole thing took less than a month.

Yes, the agent did send us a house warming gift. I'm remembering a gift certificate to a restaurant but think there were some other pieces too.

MamaMolly
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Buying agent, no.
Selling agent, yes. A bottle of Dom. Because we had the daggum house on the market 16 months with realtor A who did NOTHING (showed it maybe twice a month) and then when we fired A and went with realtor B she showed it like a mad woman, took care of things while we were out of state, and got it sold in 5 months. She earned her Dom. Plus we were DINK. I don't think we'd do it today ;).

TwinFoxes
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Nope, he got us one, as well as one on our first anniversary in our house.

cvanbrunt
06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Yes we did. Our agent was fantastic and for the amount of time and energy she spent working with us, an appreciation gift was the least we could do. We sent a big case of ribs and sauce from a fantastic BBQ joint in Memphis. She loved it and seemed really touched that we did that.

I guess I don't buy the argument that they are getting a commission so no gift is necessary. If you use that logic, why are there so many threads about teacher gifts?

AnnieW625
06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
We did not. We got the home warranty included in the purchase of our home and our agent bought us pizza, soda, and salad on move in day. Our realtor told us the best gift we could give her would be the sale of our house if we ever sold our house. We plan to do that if she is still in the business when and if we sell.

hillview
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
NO - quite the opposite. I would think the realtor would give YOU a small housewarming gift to show that he/she appreciated your business.
:yeahthat:

brgnmom
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
no, we actually received a sweet housewarming gift from the realtor when we picked up our set of keys. the realtor received a commission from our purchase.

TxCat
06-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Our realtor left us a bottle of champagne in the house, and has offered multiple times to pick up the tab for food/catering whenever we have a housewarming party.

Our realtor did an amazing job, and we rewarded him by sending lots of additional business his way, including a lucrative listing with a family member.

twowhat?
06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Our realtor is amazing, and I thought about sending her a gift. In the end I decided not to (heck, she made lots of money off of us LOL), but I wrote her a nice thank you note, and we keep in touch every so often. She'll sometimes email if one of her clients needs a rec for a contractor (because she knows we do our homework) and I will sometimes email her if I need something or have a question that she could get answered since she has such a large network of question-answerers:)

mom2binsd
06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

mackmama
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
No gift to the realtor. We did leave a bottle of champagne to the new owners.

daisyd
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone!

citymama
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
No, but our realtor bought us several and continues to! In her words, the best gift is the references we provide. She has used our quote on her website and brochure. I've posted recommendations for her to several online bulletin boards and recommended her to people, two of whom have gone on to buy homes thru her. She bought us an extended homeowners warranty as a housewarming gift (worth maybe $250?), a local magazine subscription on the 1st anniversary of our home ownership, and a gift cert to s fabulous, upscale restaurant last holiday season. Not to mention a new baby gift when we were househunting and DD2 was born. She's a class act!