PDA

View Full Version : Want to recommend another book

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not sure I have ever seen this in one of our book threads before, I found it on a list of the 100 best books ever written that I am trying to work my way through. Absolutely fantastic storytelling, the kind of book that makes whatever you read next kind of meh.
http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Life-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671743058
If anyone want to borrow it that has a nook pls let me know ;)

wellyes
06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I hadn't heard of that one, but I've seen his Swan Song on several "MUST READ" list. I will add this to my library list. Thanks!!!

alexsmommy
06-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks! That looks great and I'm getting my summer reading list together.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Let me know what you guys think!!

TwinFoxes
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have a link to the list of 100 books? I love those kinds of lists. :)

mackmama
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you so much for this rec. It looks like the perfect book to get my nephew.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have a link to the list of 100 books? I love those kinds of lists. :)

Argh! I had it up this morning and now I can not find it anywhere. And I NEED it because I am hating The Great Gatsby. When I find it I will send you a link.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Thank you so much for this rec. It looks like the perfect book to get my nephew.

Pretty mature themes, death, child abuse, hooker, murder, not for a young nephew :)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Argh! I had it up this morning and now I can not find it anywhere. And I NEED it because I am hating The Great Gatsby. When I find it I will send you a link.

http://www.the-bookman.com/main/Best.books.html
Found it

wellyes
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Pretty mature themes, death, child abuse, hooker, murder, not for a young nephew :)
Weirdly, my library has this under YA.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Weirdly, my library has this under YA.

My only experience with YA in Hunger Games, so I have no understanding what qualifies.

NN317
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I hadn't heard of that one, but I've seen his Swan Song on several "MUST READ" list. I will add this to my library list. Thanks!!!
Swan Song is one of my favorite books. I recommend it all the time.

EllasMum
06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Swan Song is one of my favorite books. I recommend it all the time.

Mine, too! I read it at least every other year, if not every year. It is HUGE (1100 pages?) but so worth it. For a while, MacCammon took his books out of print, so the copy I had (still have, actually) was literally falling apart at the seams. I am happy to see his stuff back in print. :)

TwinFoxes
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Found it

Yay, thanks!

american_mama
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
The same title, Boy's Life, appears to be a popular magazine for boys, which is what I presume is the item in the Young Adult category. Or else there is another book with that title, which is easy to imagine.

This is a hard book to find, it seems. My library system does not have it, but it does have three other books by the same author. Between items with similar names, me misspelling the author's name as McGammon, and not knowing where to put the darn apostrophe, I spent several days looking for this book before going back to this thread.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Found it

I've read a good number of these, though I think whoever wrote it up should have proofed it before leaving it alone ... misspelled authors' names, mis-titled books, and outright misspellings kind of grated on my editor's eye.

Anyway, I spotted quite a few that I've read that might deserve a re-visit, like A Tale of Two Cities, which I read when I was 11 and again when I was 14.

wellyes
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Any list without Middlemarch is bunk!

lizzywednesday
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Is that really worth reading? I read Silas Marner and found George Eliot to be tedious, but everyone I know who's read Middlemarch thinks it's brilliant.

Maybe I will appreciate it more now that I'm an adult and not a know-it-all 16 year old!

wellyes
06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Give it 50 pages. It is brilliant, so smart about people and relationships. There were passages I found breathtaking, a rare experience for any reader.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM

It appears on almost every list I have ever seen, will give it a whirl!

gatorsmom
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the link! I was surprised to see so many I have read on there. I was also surprised to see some listed on there that seem so unremarkable. For example, while I liked The Little Prince by St. Exupery, I don't think it was worthy of that list. And I loved The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher, but it seemed more like "chick lit." Same goes for Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya sisterhood.

But it's a great list, nonetheless, and one I'm going to refer to the next time I hit the library. Thanks!

rlu
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Found it

It's got Hitchhiker's on it! We used that as our Grad Night theme back in '87. I really should go back and reread those.

I've read 8 of the top 10, not bad.

And yes, I do keep a towel in my car.

eta: and props to anyone who slugged their way through Les Miz. My niece did it but it was a long haul for her and she normally devours books.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM

eta: and props to anyone who slugged their way through Les Miz. My niece did it but it was a long haul for her and she normally devours books.

I read the abridged version first and it annoyed me, so I asked for the unabridged for Christmas.

It reassured me that I wasn't losing my mind; the abridgement had sucked.

And, no, I didn't read it in French. (The extent of my French is knowing how to say "when Daddy brought a hedgehog to live with us at our house" and my pronunciation is dreadful.)

Melaine
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow. I'm disappointed that I've only read 14 of those books.

Les Mis is absolutely worth reading. It's long, but awesome. On a side note, I cannot wait for the movie!!!