PDA

View Full Version : Stolen iPhone advice and I want to scream at my DH

TxCat
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm so riled up right now, I need other people to do my rational thinking for me.

DH lost his iPhone. A week ago. Of course, we confirmed today that it was stolen because I called AT&T and verified that there is a lot of activity originating from the lost phone. I'm not furious at DH that the phone was stolen - these things happen. But, what I want to scream at him for is the fact that he let this go for a friggin' week! He knew it was missing and never got worked up about it enough to go through all the necessary steps to really try and locate it. DH often has this overly relaxed attitude about stuff like this - life details that I actually think are important and need to be attended to, he views as getting in the way of his work, his trips to the gym, etc.

So, of course what I'm freaking about the most now (besides lost photos on the phone of DD, etc.) is identity theft. DH didn't even remember that he was logged onto Gmail, Facebook, etc. with the phone.

We've suspended the phone service. So, what steps do we need to take next? I'm thinking we need to go through DH's Gmail (I already made him change his password) and figure out what personal information is there (uh, like everything) - bank account statements, credit card statements, etc. DH's immediate reaction was that I was overreacting. :angry-smiley-005:
I'm thinking we need to sign up for one of those credit-report monitoring services or make sure we have one through one of our banks, change passwords to all of our accounts, etc. DH doesn't think he had anything of importance written down under Notes, but who knows. What else am I forgetting or not thinking about clearly? Also, should we file a police report?

Ugh, what a pain. And we're "celebrating" our 6-year anniversary today. I'm using the term "celebrating" loosely. We're marking the occasion by trying to improve our communication styles.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Did he sign up with MobileMe (or whatever Apple calls it now?). If so, you can find out where it was last used which may not be helpful if someone is already using it. The best feature is you can wipe the phone remotely or lock it entirely. I think the user then needs to bring it to Apple to reactivate. Either way, you can get all your data off of it.

If not, most likely whoever took it already reset it so his information woud be off. We've lost Apple products and it totally sucks. The worst part is knowing they are stolen and Apple not being able/willing to do anything about it.

swissair81
06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
If he has find my iphone enabled, I would do a remote wipe. That may not help if the other person has had time to write things down. For his future phone- make sure he has 'find my iphone' installed and enabled, make sure there is a passcode lock on the phone, make sure he backs up his phone at least weekly, and remote wipe it if it disappears.

I think you should also visit your bank and ask to go over the transactions of the past week. Same with your credit card companies. If something is problematic, I would probably file a police report.

Penny's Pappa
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
My wife had her iPhone, along with everything else in her purse, stolen out of her car a month or so ago. I was able to log onto iCloud an use the Find My iPhone feature to track the phone with GPS. It took a little doing, but we were able to find the phone after the thief ditched it in the woods.

If your thief is still using the phone and you can track it, I'd call the police and let them know. They may help you retrieve it. Best case you catch them with it red-handed. Worst case you have to wipe it on iCloud.

Good luck. This is such a PITA.

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

TxCat
06-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Nope, he's no longer a user of MobileMe and didn't have Find My iPhone installed, so we have no way to wipe it remotely. Unfortunately I'm not sure they would have wiped the information any time soon because they were still using our plan as of this afternoon to access data, send text messages, brief phone calls, etc.

TxCat
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
My wife had her iPhone, along with everything else in her purse, stolen out of her car a month or so ago. I was able to log onto iCloud an use the Find My iPhone feature to track the phone with GPS. It took a little doing, but we were able to find the phone after the thief ditched it in the woods.

If your thief is still using the phone and you can track it, I'd call the police and let them know. They may help you retrieve it. Best case you catch them with it red-handed. Worst case you have to wipe it on iCloud.

Good luck. This is such a PITA.

----------

Can we do this if we don't have the app installed?

AT&T has a feature similar to Find my Iphone that they of course charge for. If I unsuspend the activity the phone, they can show us the location of the phone within a couple hundred yards. Of course, now that they know we know it's stolen, I'm wondering if they will have tossed the phone by now.

Penny's Pappa
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I think you have to have Find my iPhone installed and activated for it to work, but it's worth a shot anyway. Visit iCloud.com and see if you can find it.

If the AT&T service will work, that's worth a shot too even if they've tossed the phone. If it's anything like Find my IPhone you can tell the phone to emit a series of loud tones. That's how I found my wife's phone sitting in some bushes about 30' from the road.

----------

Radosti
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Did he have the software up to date and iCloud activated? There was a big story about some girl who had her iPhone stolen on a Disney cruise and when the ship came by a WiFi connection next time, the phone sent all the thief's pictures to her computer through iCloud. She was able to send all the photos to the Disney cruise lines and they recovered the phone and dealt with the worker who stole the phone.

Radosti
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/260178/scitech/technology/a-happy-ending-to-the-adventures-of-the-stolen-iphone