PDA

View Full Version : ISO a dog house

hillview
06-03-2012, 07:16 PM
We have a black labradoodle and he loves to be outside. Please suggest a dog house that would allow him a cool place to hang out. He does not sleep out there or anything :)

He is about 35 lbs
TIA

elephantmeg
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
the local places around here the build sheds make dog houses. That's where I would start if there are places like that around you

infomama
06-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd lean towards shade vs a dog house of you aiming for cool. Dog houses get hot. Our breeder kept something like this outside for the dogs to lay on, too.
http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Large-Steel-Framed-Brunswick-Green/dp/B000P7JKD6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

Radosti
06-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Funny you should say this. I just discovered today that my new dog, Jesse, loves to sleep in the kids' wooden playhouse. We have a large deck with a gazebo on it. It extends all the way along the back of the house. Along the far side, we have a wooden playhouse. A few times I went to let the dogs inside and could not find Jesse. I would go down the stairs to the fenced yard to look for her and call her name and she'd magically appear on the deck. Today, I called her name while on the deck and she walked out of the playhouse. Doh!

I guess it's better than a dog house since it's light and airy in there with windows and an open door. Plus, she picked it herself. I am planning on putting a coolaroo bed in there for her since the kids don't play with it anymore and she likes it. She is an indoor dog here, but she is a 1.5 old dog that was found as a stray in GA and was on her last day at the pound there. I saw her on Facebook when the animal control officer posted her in the hopes of getting her out. She is such a special pup that the woman could not deal with putting her down. A friend of mine was able to pull her from the shelter for me and put her on a paid transport to come up here. So, I have no history on her. She may very well have been an outdoor dog there, although she was housebroken by the time I got her.