PDA

View Full Version : Fake cough?

flashy09
06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
My almost 6 month old has started to "cough" quite a bit. It sounds completely fake, but she did spit up a lot as a younger baby and so I worry maybe it's reflux? Or that she is actually getting sick? It started about a week ago and she has no other symptoms and often does it with a smile. But it's becoming one of her main sounds and I am curious how often babies her age realize coughing equals attention or if that is too advanced?

I am a nervous new mom and do make a big deal over her when she chokes nursing or sneezes. Or any sound she makes for that matter!

Dr C
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
5 month olds are notorious for experimenting with their voices... coughs, squeals, whale noises--they do it all. If she doesn't seem upset by the cough and her breathing seems normal I wouldn't worry about it (especially if you're not hearing it while she is asleep).

candaceb
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
DS did it starting sometime around then to ask for his binky if he dropped it...

JBaxter
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
See if she will mimic you. Mine would. If she does dont worry. Fake sneezes are common a little older

Melaine
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I remember that with the girls....it was a weird phase.

trcy
06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
5 month olds are notorious for experimenting with their voices... coughs, squeals, whale noises--they do it all. If she doesn't seem upset by the cough and her breathing seems normal I wouldn't worry about it (especially if you're not hearing it while she is asleep).
:yeahthat: DD would do a 'fake cough' a lot around that age.

teo
06-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Our guy had reflux cough, and it sounded more like a gag--sort of like you're trying to cough but not able to, and then at the end a little dry hack would come out. We actually didn't figure out what it was for a really long time because it never sounded like a sick cough or anything especially awful...finally found out when we put him on reflux meds and the reflux symptoms went away, and then we took him off of the meds for two weeks at six months to see if he'd outgrown the reflux. He hadn't, and the cough (plus the other symptoms) came back, and DH finally made the connection. The cough is gone again now that he's back on the meds. It didn't sound fake, though--more like a weak smoker's cough.

I'm guessing that, as PPs said, she's probably experimenting with sounds, especially if there are no other indications of anything like reflux!

edurnemk
06-03-2012, 11:40 PM
DS started doing his fake cough around that age, too. He quickly figured out he got our attention, and did it quite often.

MizMojoLaveau
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes! All three of my DSs did this! It is amazing what they pick up on to do for attention. I was worried like OP on DS1, but by DS3, I am just laughing from the start. So funny.

BabbyO
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I agree with the PP who said to see if she'll mimic you. Both my DS' did this around the same age. The mimic was the key for me to know they weren't sick.