PDA

View Full Version : back pain

lmh2402
06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
i have developed the most horrific pain in my mid- toward upper-back

i got the same exact pain in the same spot late in pregnancy with DS

i was never able to find real relief with DS

i am praying to find some relief now

i can't seem to pinpoint the cause...and/or how to stretch...if stretching is what is needed

it's just such a strange, very specific point of pain. kind of in close toward the spine. it's mostly on my right side. though some times it's on both sides of the spine

any thoughts/ideas on how to try and "fix" or get relief?

thanks

mctlaw
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I get the same thing, and I have a feeling some of it at least is posture related. I tend to hunch forward which is understandable given the huge load I am carrying up front. Really, the only thing that helps temporarily is a good deep massage. I went to a chiro for a while and that area is always out of alignment. Adjustments gave very temporary relief but nothing long lasting. This late in your pregnancy, you should get a massage whenever you can :) Good luck.

Katigre
06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Have you been to a chiropracter (who is experienced in pregnancy)? That always helps my body feel better. It is likely sciatic (sp?) but chiro can help relieve it.

mikala
06-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Are there any good chiropractors in your area that deal with pregnancy? My OB recommended someone with a lot of prenatal experience and it helped a lot.

edurnemk
06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
You are describing my back pain almost to a T, mine only happens on the right side. I find it's worse when I've been sitting for a long time (i.e. sitting at my desk at the office). What helps the most is walking, or laying down on my left side for a while.

I've been wanting to get a massage, to see if it helps.

ebjw
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Does it come and go like it could be contractions? It could mean the beginning stages of back labor...

babyonway
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I had that back pain exactly when I was pregnant. I felt so much better standing or laying down. The sitting was so painfull. I took a tennis ball with me everywhere and if I had to sit I leaned the painful areas against the tennis ball and that would relieve it while I was leaning. I also had a huge ice pack that I used at work every 2 hours.

I hope you find some relief. I am so sorry.

lmh2402
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
thanks everyone. i'm amazed to hear that everyone is having a similar pain! the tennis ball sounds like a great idea - i feel like that might do the trick for getting pressure right to the point of pain. might try that in a few minutes!

and i will look into a chiro. and a massage!

thanks

brittone2
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
If it is midway up your back (like halfway between neck and your glutes) it is probably not sacroiliac joint stuff, which is common in pregnancy.

It could be a lot of things, including something like trigger points due to postural changes and so forth. You could see a physical therapist for an eval and treatment. You could look for someone who knows myofascial release in case it is something like that. If you want to try a DIY at home, look for the "back knobber" if you like the tennis ball but want to try something else (of course that doesn't replace an evaluation, but just tossing that out there if you want to try something on your own).