PDA

View Full Version : Home inspector recommends NFPA level II inspection of chimney...

daisyd
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi, I'm back with more questions from the home inspection. The report recommends NFPA level II inspection of chimney given that some flues appear to be malfunctioning and the lining is damaged, with a question of exhaust gases not getting out of the home. When we read up about it, it said that this inspection was to be done upon the sale/transfer of the home or if some part of the system was damaged. Does this mean it has to be done anytime prior to closing or is it like a Title V for private septic which has to be done ideally before the home is put on sale? A related question is - does the seller pay for this, like they pay for a title V?

Please share your experiences.

HannaAddict
06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
We sold our first home, a 1908 bungalow, and sellers wanted a chimney inspection. They paid for it and requested a credit, we declined after reviewing the report / chimney was fine for its purpose but they basically were trying to get us to pay for their converting to gas. They bought the house. As a seller, you really don't pay for inspections in my experience. I would have one done though as the buyer if recommended, since the ventilation could be a huge safety issue.

squimp
06-04-2012, 02:19 AM
IME, many things are negotiable. I'm not familiar with Title V requirement for septic, it likely varies by state. Our state requires no septic inspections at all and in our case the buyer is paying for the inspection but the seller is paying for maintenance and pumping before closing. In our state we have new certifications for wood stoves that are really stringent and the onus is on the seller. This is really where you need to talk with your realtor.

daisyd
06-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. We're planning to get an inspection done. Unfortunately our realtor seems clueless and seems to consult with the seller's agent (who is senior and belongs to the same agency) a whole lot more than we're comfortable with. It feels like the seller's agent is running the show. But that's an issue for another thread probably in BP :)