PDA

View Full Version : Dear Little League teammate parents....

brittone2
06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
A significant percentage of you need to get. a. life. Your behavior at LL games is egregious. Yelling at umpires over and over again (teenagers who have been trained and do this on a volunteer basis and do a great job overall), screaming at your kids, putting extreme pressure on your kids because we are in "playoffs" now, etc. is simply ridiculous. Our coach has had to "warn" parents multiple times because of their behavior, reminding them that LL is cracking down on this behavior, and they may cause our team to forfeit due to their behavior. Coach has sent out numerous emails reminding parents to dial it back, to respect the umps, to not scream at their kids or try to coach from the bleachers. Ironically the most vocally obnoxious mom and dad laugh about how they know "nothing about sports" but they continually berate the umps, scream at their kid, contradict the coach's instructions (run or stay on base for example) during games, etc. These are mostly 8 yos.

Yesterday kids were cracking under the pressure halfway through the game, and apparently confided to the coach their parents were putting a lot of pressure on them. He had to send out a reminder email today about the spirit of LL and not putting pressure on the kids, who are already a really good team. It doesn't stop the parents from being unable to enjoy play for the sake of play....they continue to be ridiculous.

I have also noticed the parents who act like this toward their kids seem to have kids who are not supportive of their teammates. Yesterday one kid called another a name during the game (his own teammate) for screwing up a play, which resulted in the other kid crying on the field and it was just an embarrassment all around. Neither kid was mine, but sheesh. The parents who act like this also have kids who come over to the bleachers b*tching about umps (loudly) to their parents, and their kids seem to argue with the umps. Earlier this season one yelled from 1st base to his mom (an assistant coach) that the ump "sucks." Yep, loud and clear, everyone could hear it. She let him keep playing and the ump didn't hear it. If it was my kid I'd want him benched so fast his head would spin around on its axis. Yesterday the same kid (8yo) was almost ejected for throwing his bat and kicking home plate.

Yesterday they (many parents and the coaches from both sides) were mad when the ump spotted lightning (big bright streak and we all saw it) and we had to wait 20 mins to resume play. They were basically browbeating him to say it was okay to continue. If he wasn't a volunteer teen, I doubt they would have been gutsy enough to apply the type of pressure they were unleashing. He did the right thing, reminded them it was a liability issue, and stuck to his guns :applause: which I thought was great. He's an awesome ump considering he's a teen volunteer. DH and I have liked him all season. Glad he didn't let them beat him down into doing what they wanted. That's a tough thing for a young person.

I will be so. freaking. glad. when the season is over. We like having DS1 play because I want him to focus on having fun, being a good teammate, paying attention, doing his best, respecting his coach and the ump, etc. Unfortunately, most of that is not the focus.

Parents, you really suck. I can't wait to see your behavior tonight when we come up against one of the big "rival" teams in playoffs. Coach is following up his email from this morning about last night's parent behavior with a pre game talk to the parents tonight. *AGAIN* because you can't behave yourselves. Multiple other reminders this season haven't worked, or haven't lasted very long.

Every game I wear my big sunglasses so I can conceal my eyerolls. I can't take it anymore.

sarahsthreads
06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
That sounds horrible. How can parents set such a terrible example for their children? DD1 starts soccer tonight and I was hoping because it's a rec league and only 7 & 8 year olds that it wouldn't be super competitive - DD1 has never played soccer, ever. I am now terrified that we'll have similar parents on the sidelines. Now that I read this, there were several paragraphs on the website and even in one of the coach's emails about parent behavior expectations...they probably wouldn't put all that stuff in there if it hadn't been a problem in the past. Sigh.

Maybe the coach could ban disruptive parents from watching the games? I can't imagine they could really, but...well, maybe the league could write some new rules for next season about some number of warnings = no more watching your kids' games?

Hope tonight's game - after the lecture - goes a little better, at least.

Sarah :)

crl
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Ugh. A neighbor was saying that her daughter's team recently loaned players to the other team so they didn't have to forfeit. While her daughter was on loan she scored a goal. One of her teammates called her a traitor, which had her in tears later. I really hate all this and am dreading ds' first foray into organized sports this summer, though I am hoping that because it is a summer parks and rec league it won't be so bad.

Catherine

brittone2
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, we didn't bother trying out for the traveling team or anything because I know I couldn't handle that! This is just the local LL.

DS1 plays fine...not a superstar, but fine. He's a good teammate, cheers for his friends, has a good time, respects the ump. I'm really proud of him. The 2nd graders on the team (younger 8yos) struggle a little more than the 3rd graders on the team overall. One of the b*tchy moms said all huffy at the start of the season, "I don't think 2nd graders should be able to play AA!" Loud enough and directed at all the other parents of 2nd graders (which mine is) I guess. Niiiiice. I think it was mostly directed at one kid who is really small and on the team, and happens to be in 2nd grade. He looks waaay smaller than the other kids, and my DS1 is on the shorter side but is considerably bigger than this kid. You know what, that short, young-looking kid is good! He is focused, he's a great athlete, he's tough, and a good sport. I wanted to say to miss high and mighty (and she is, believe me), I don't set the rules. In fact, we asked if DS1 should play a 2nd year of coach pitch and we were told by the league when we signed up that he really should just move on to AA and he'd be fine. I mean, the whole tone is just nasty.

The mom who is the worst thinks she's a gift to the world. Trust me. At one game she went over to b*tch out some people in the park for playing frisbee because it was within her son's line of sight while he was pitching :ROTFLMAO: It was a "distraction" even though they were...I dunno...30-40 feet away from the backstop. It is a public park. She walked over to tell them to stop because they were throwing her son "off." Gah. Her and her husband also flipped out one game because we were at another local league to play and they didn't have an ump, so their coach ended up serving as the ump so we could play that night. Big freaking deal. All game they acted like the other coach serving as ump was out to throw the game :rotflmao: I mean, it is LL with a bunch of 8yos. Nothing was riding on that game....the other coach was doing everyone a favor by umping IMO so we could play the game. Big deal. It is just ridiculous. Her kid was struggling that night. It happens. Deal with it, cheer him on, support him. Instead she had to blame someone. And remind us that she doesn't know what his problem is because he "threw 40 strikes in a row last night when we practiced with him at home." Ummmhmmmm. Okay. And every game she talks about how "last night at home he hit ball after ball over the fence, homer after homer! I don't know WHY he isn't doing it tonight in the game." Gah.

I can only imagine travel team stuff that many parents go through. I can't handle the politics and this is an everyone plays local LL thing.

We had the same thing last year in 7 yo coach pitch...different parents, same stuff. It just is worse this year. I saw it happening last year too...the parents who b*tched out their kids for bad plays and such had kids that acted like that toward their *own* teammates. Now they are just older and it is getting worse. I just cannot believe the parents' behavior. You hear about it, but witnessing it, it is just awful.

MamaMolly
06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
GAK! ETA: sorry, I thought this was the Lounge. Please ignore!!!!! :bag
Sounds to me like it is time for other parents to 'speak up'. Would you be willing to be loud and vocal in a positive way? Shouting things out about good sportsmanship, teamwork, character, etc? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who feel the same way you do who would join in.

Offer something as a counter to the bad behavior. Apply peer pressure in a positive way. It works for grown ups too. Clearly the emails and chats from the coach are having little effect. I think he needs your help.

brittone2
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
GAK! ETA: sorry, I thought this was the Lounge. Please ignore!!!!! :bag
Sounds to me like it is time for other parents to 'speak up'. Would you be willing to be loud and vocal in a positive way? Shouting things out about good sportsmanship, teamwork, character, etc? I'm sure there are plenty of parents who feel the same way you do who would join in.

Offer something as a counter to the bad behavior. Apply peer pressure in a positive way. It works for grown ups too. Clearly the emails and chats from the coach are having little effect. I think he needs your help.
Well, yesterday I finally started muttering things loudly enough for a few people to hear... Passive aggressive, I know. The mom who is the worst offender is a "queen bee" and attends the same pool as us. Saw the same behavior there when we had swim lessons. She is a trip, believe me.

I told Dh that I was ready to speak up tonight. I don't have much longer to deal with them, so I'm going to say something. I'm sure the queen bee mom and her posse will give me the evil eye at the pool, but whatever. I really don't care.

We have spoken up when they've started in on the umps, and I've mentioned before that if my kid badmouthed an ump in a game, I'd want him pulled so fast his head would spin. They are 8, shut that behavior down NOW please, kwim? Don't let it go on, because it will just get worse as they get older.

I don't mind the advice, Molly. I am so nonconfrontational IRL (believe it or not LOL), but once I hit a certain point, I have had enough. I'm there. I can't take it anymore, and I can see the parent behavior trickling down to the kids clear as day. It is disgusting.

eta: I have seen the one mom argue with umps and say to the crowd, "No, my son had that kid OUT! He was out!!!" arguing like an idiot when her kid didn't tag the runner at home but instead tagged the base for example. SHe does that a lot. If you admit you know "nothing about sports" than perhaps shut. up. and don't argue with the ump. Because now your kid also argues with the ump, or comes over to the bleachers after a play to tell everyone how he "had that kid out! I did! THe ump is soooo stupid!" and mom is like, "yeah, you are right Johnny. You had him out." Ummm...no, your son did not! I wonder where he gets that behavior from, lady!

lovin2shop
06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7e583517e5/will-ferrell-get-on-the-bag

I often have the exact same expression as Sarah Michelle Geller at our games!

TwinFoxes
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I feel my shoulder tightening with tension just reading this thread. I am so sorry. I don't know what I'd do. Ugh.

elektra
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
OMG, I think I would be driven completely crazy by that point. I am not sure if the fact that she is an idiot makes it better or worse (ex. loudly complaining that the ump sucks for not calling someone out when it was not actually force per your example).
I know it's easier to type out comebacks here but I would really want to say something like this in a calm, not angry voice:
Sally McIdiot, what are you doing? There was no force and the ump made the right call. You are embarrassing yourself and it's not a good example for the kids.

firstbaby
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Beth, I can completely relate. My older two play flag football and yesterday we were playing an undefeated team. Both teams have already secured playoff spots. One of the moms from the other team yelled to the kids she would buy Pokemon cards for whoever "gets back there and gets the quarterback". They are 5 and 6. Wrong on so many levels...

deborah_r
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
This is so depressing. I find it depressing when I see it and when hearing stories like yours, because I really worry how these kids will be as adults.

Also makes me glad DS1 seems to universally bad at team sports. When he did tee-ball (for the 2nd time, at age 7 because he is so small and not very skilled) I saw how the kids on the older teams were acting and really did not want to deal with that. Right now he plays golf. :)

brittone2
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7e583517e5/will-ferrell-get-on-the-bag

I often have the exact same expression as Sarah Michelle Geller at our games!
:ROTFLMAO: I am LMAO!!! I don't think I ever saw that clip...Love WF and that made me laugh so hard!

I sent it to DH as I know he'll appreciate it too these days.

Yes, it is absolutely depressing. I'm sorry that so many of you can relate :grouphug: It sucks.

Might be a rain out tonight; we'll have to see....I could probably use a cooling off period. We've had three nights of games in a row and it has been 3 too many because each one has left me more irritable than the last.

brittone2
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Beth, I can completely relate. My older two play flag football and yesterday we were playing an undefeated team. Both teams have already secured playoff spots. One of the moms from the other team yelled to the kids she would buy Pokemon cards for whoever "gets back there and gets the quarterback". They are 5 and 6. Wrong on so many levels...
:47:

I don't know how coaches and umps/refs can possibly deal with these parents. I knew they were in a tough spot but I cannot believe what I have witnessed.

Two teams played yesterday before our kids, and there was a rain delay so we saw part of their game. Same thing there, sadly. Mom screaming at her kid, "you only throw strikes!! Do you HEAR me???!! Only strikes!" while the kid is near tears on the mound. Game was close and we were near the end, and a kid came up to bat with bases loaded. His team was down 2 or 3 runs at that point. His mom was screaming, "hit a homer and YOU WIN THIS GAME! Do you hear me??? You NEED to hit a HOMER so you can win this for your team!!" and the kid looked like he was going to throw up as he walked up to bat. They are 8!!!!!

carolinamama
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I would be really bothered by that behavior too. Not sure what I would do as I'm also nonconfrontational by nature. Hope your DS has had a good season despite it.

DS1 only has one more year with YMCA t-ball. It's been a great supportive environment and I dread going to something like LL.

brittone2
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Can I add one more?

Basically 3 kids have been groomed this season to pitch. 2 of the 3 are on the traveling team, and the third could be but his family (child of the most obnoxious parents) goes to their boat every weekend in the summer so they can't do it. No problem, these kids are great pitchers. However, really none of the other kids get a chance to pitch, even when they are interested and capable. So the coach said toward the end of the season to the kids they'd eventually all get a chance. So some of the less capable kids were allowed to pitch an inning or two as a relief pitcher or closer. But there was no instruction at all on pitching all season for these kids who were not the chosen/groomed ones. None from the coaches. Now, I totally do not think it needs to be a democracy where every kid pitches an equal amount or anything even close to it, but since everything says this is a development league, you'd think they'd work with them a bit.

So my son was supposed to pitch a few games ago but just as he took the mound the game was called for rain/thunder. He was bummed. Didn't pitch the next game, and then finally got to pitch on Sat. afternoon and started. Is he a superstar? No, but he hung in there. DH worked with him a bit in recent weeks or he wouldn't have had a clue because there was no pitching-related coaching at all. Beforehand I talked with him about the toughest part of pitching being not getting rattled if things start to get tough; hanging in there, staying focused. Not giving up. And he did that. He's a kid who in the past has gotten teary when he wasn't perfect at something, so I'm really, really proud to see him hang in there and get it done, you know? Even if he's not a superstar.

Then a few other kids who never pitched or only pitched one other time got to pitch that game. It was against our big "rival" but the coach didn't want to use the best pitchers so he could save them for the playoff yesterday and again tonight. We lost 12-11. The other team had their "good" pitchers pitching.

So the most b*tchy mom says, well, we hung with the black team even with *these* pitchers, snicker snicker, snort, so we should be OK when we play them in the playoffs. I gritted my teeth (again, yes, I know my kid is not a superstar but since the point is to learn how to play the position, um, at some point in the season it is nice he got a chance to pitch!). Then yesterday someone asks how the game the other day went and she says, "well, let's just say we hung with the black team even with (loud whisper still clearly heard) having kids pitch who aren't very good, so yeah we should be okay in playoffs."

Again, my kid is not a superstar. But you basically just insulted half the kids on the bench in front of their parents on the bleachers. I mean, it wasn't very nice. Hearing it the 2nd time had my blood boiling. I looked at DH and said loudly enough for her to hear that it is a shame that people don't talk to the coach about why we had to wait until the last regular game of the season against our biggest competition to give some of the kids a chance to pitch. It unfortunately resulted in a loss, but it was nice to finally see someone other than the chosen 3 getting to pitch. I don't feel the coach needs to run it like a democracy, but since it is a development league, it would have been nice to see a few more kids (even if not my own kid!) worked into the regular rotation.

Yesterday they had the 3 best kids only throw 20 pitches each so they can pitch again tonight. But...they still needed to bring in a 4th pitcher. 4th pitcher is a kid that has gotten no time or attention from the coach all season and was struggling. Parents were all cringing like this kid is going to lose it for the team (we were till up by a bunch of runs). I felt badly for him. They were like shaking their heads, gritting their teeth, looking ticked off. Ummm...maybe this is why we should develop everyone's ability a little more and at least teach them how to pitch, rather than just throwing them in a game and having them pitch. The "good" pitchers are the only ones who have gotten instruction on pitching, and 2 of the 3 are on the traveling team so they already do extra practices and instruction with that team.

belovedgandp
06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Yep, fortunately haven't been on the team with parents like that, but we played two teams that were awful this past year in soccer. Sadly in one case it was mostly the volunteer dad coach of the other team arguing with the teen official.

We're still in recreational leagues and this was second grade. One of our last minute additions was a boy who is a super star but his mom yanked him from the more competitive team when parents were throwing lawn chairs at the game.

tmahanes
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
My sister was on a team one year that the parents were so bad my mom used to sit on the other teams side!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

roseyloxs
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I have seen this situation from a few sides now. I was a teenage ref for soccer games and the abuse I would take sometimes was ridiculous. Some people had no idea what the rules were and yet would argue with me for 20 minutes after the game about it. I would try and read from the rule book to settle it but they refused to listen. They were twice my age so clearly they were right and I was wrong. Thankfully I was berated to tears only once by a complete idiot who didn't understand the concept of being offside. Other parents literally had to drag the parent away because my tears didn't stop his diatribe against me (I was only 16 and it was park district not travel league).

I also saw a bit of this as the athlete since my mom was a yeller, my dad on the other hand was mostly very quiet. She was very supportive of the kids but had no problem yelling at the refs if she thought a foul had been missed. Her favorite line was, "Just because their wearing white doesn't mean they are angels!" At a high school basketball game she once made the ref so mad he handed her his whistle and sat down in the bleachers. She called his bluff and walked on the court as if she could call the game. That was definitely embarrassing but really for the most part my teammates and the other parents loved her so it wasn't so bad. She did it all in good spirits (not that the refs would see it that way).

Not excited to start team sports and deal with these kinds of parents. It will be very hard for me to keep my mouth shut (I am quiet like my dad but every so often my mom's big mouth will sneak out against idiots).

lablover
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
It is horrible, isn't it? DS plays spring, winter and fall sports so we are very fortunate in that we have not encountered this personally yet. This winter the police were called to handle a parent at an elementary age league basketball game. We were thinking of having DS try out for the travel baseball team but then I heard that the team consisted of crazy parents, entitled kids and coach's kids playing all the time while other kids (who were just as good or even better) continually sat on the bench. No thanks - he will stay in house league for now!

niccig
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
In our playoff game tonight it was the coach of the opposite team. It's half-way through the game and our coach realizes the other team is not rotating their players when fielding. Same good kids in same positions and same kids sitting on the bench. That's not how the league rules are. The ref is the head of the league. He said we didn't need to rotate our players for rest of the game and the other team had to. That coach was arguing trying to justify breaking league rules.

Honestly, I think the ref should have called the game because of cheating. We ended up losing, don't know how big a difference rotating players would have been to the final score.

We've been lucky and have had good parents for all our sporting teams so far.

brittone2
06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
The coaches came over to talk to the parents again last night about the pressure they have been putting on their kids. Of course, they all look at each other like, "pressure? What pressure? I'm not putting pressure on my kid! Is your kid feeling pressure? My kid isn't feeling pressure, I asked him!" It was rather comical to see the guilty parties acting like they had no clue why the coach said what he said.

We got rained out after an inning so it was a short game. Get to do it all again tonight.

3isEnough
06-05-2012, 12:50 PM
That sounds like exactly how things are around here. I'm continually amazed with what some parents think is appropriate behavior at a game. They show such poor sportsmanship, and also expect their kids to be phenomenal athletes. I live in an ultra-competitive, very Type-A area (both in academics and sports) and it's way too much pressure to put on the kids.

We recently had a very bad incident at a baseball game. Coaches on both sides were yelling at each other, raising fists, cussing in front of the kids. My DH was extremely bothered by it and couldn't sleep that night, and in the morning told me that he thinks maybe we should move because it's crazy competitive in sports here. I told him it's like that most places - parents often lose sight of the objective in youth sports no matter where they're at!

echoesofspring
06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
What is it with adults?

My brother had a brain tumor removed when he was 3, it affected his balance and coordination for several years afterwards. My mom still remembers having to pull him from soccer when he was 6 or 7. He was having a great time, and the other kids didn't seem to notice his issues, but she could not take the cruel things she overheard on the sidelines. That was almost 30 years ago....I'm sure it would be even worse now.

AngB
06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I am so sorry you guys have to deal with this. This is just ridiculous. Poor kids.

My siblings and I played on competitive softball/baseball teams from the time we were 10 or so up (tryouts, practice year round, tournaments almost every weekend and league games during the week, etc. etc. etc.) And while there was occasionally a little drama, NOTHING like anything you describe. That is just nuts. It sounds like the coach is doing a good job of trying to keep it calm, I mean the best he can in this kind of situation, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't ask the kids with the worst parents back. (I think that's how our teams stayed relatively drama free. The coaches didn't tolerate parents yelling at the umps and if a parent was too much of a PITA, they wouldn't be asked back, no matter how good their kid was.)

almostamom
06-05-2012, 09:53 PM
We saw a lot of this type of behavior when my nephew was playing football in a spring league outside of his high school team. We arrived early for my nephew's game and the prior game was still going on. The parents in the bleachers were unreal. They were threatening the players with "I'll meet you in the parking lot after the game #37!" The police were called and the refs and some players had to be escorted to their vehicles for their safety. RIDICULOUS!!

I honestly think "enough with the warning emails." Until the team has to forfeit a game as a result of this behavior, it's not going to stop. I find it absurd that adults act like this and get away with it. My DS plays on our school sports teams. We have to sign a contract that our behavior (the adults) will be respectful or we will be asked to leave. I've never seen an issue at any of our games.

muskiesusan
06-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Our LL coach sent this poem out at the beginning of the season. I wish it was posted at all baseball fields.

HE IS JUST A LITTLE BOY

He stands at the plate,
with his heart pounding fast.
The bases are loaded,
the die has been cast.

Mom and Dad cannot help him,
he stands all alone.
A hit at this moment,
would send the Team home.

The ball meets the plate,
he swings and he misses.
There’s a groan from the crowd,
with some boos and some hisses.

A thoughtless voice cries,
strike out the bum.
Tears fill his eyes,
the game’s no longer fun.

So open your heart,
and give him a break.
For it’s moments like this,
a man you can make.

Please keep this in mind,
when you hear someone forget.
He is just a little boy,
and not a man yet.

squimp
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
That's really awful. I've heard girls' basketball can be bad like that around here, once they get to middle school.

In AYSO soccer, the parents have to sign a code of conduct form before starting the season. It got so bad one year that the managers had a silent day where neither coaches nor parents were allowed to yell from the sidelines. It was kind of nice.

I couldn't find ours but here's something similar.
http://www.ayso88.org/org/documents/kidszonepledge.pdf

I might talk with the league managers, ask them to come over and watch. Someone did that with our soccer coach this year - the lead refs came over and told him he was too overbearing.

ArizonaGirl
06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry that the comments are just out of control. I used to umpire girls softball when I was in high school and we had a rule that if parents were out of control we were to eject the coach for the offending team. I know it seems unfair to eject the coach when they aren't in charge of the parents, but I only ever had to do it twice in the 3 years that I umped. Once the parents saw that I was serious and that their child's coach would be forced to leave the field and the team would likely suffer because of that loss, they shut-up.

HTH and I'm sorry for the childish behavior coming from a bunch of supposed adults.

brittone2
06-06-2012, 07:42 AM
That's really awful. I've heard girls' basketball can be bad like that around here, once they get to middle school.

In AYSO soccer, the parents have to sign a code of conduct form before starting the season. It got so bad one year that the managers had a silent day where neither coaches nor parents were allowed to yell from the sidelines. It was kind of nice.

I couldn't find ours but here's something similar.
http://www.ayso88.org/org/documents/kidszonepledge.pdf

I might talk with the league managers, ask them to come over and watch. Someone did that with our soccer coach this year - the lead refs came over and told him he was too overbearing.

That's what is crazy-we do sign a code of conduct form when we sign up for LL each year. The parents still behave like idiots. I think they absolutely need to start enforcing that code rather than just threatening to do so. The funny thing is the most PITA mom and dad are the ones who say they know nothing about sports yet run their big yappers non stop coaching kids from the sideline (telling them to run when coach is saying hold up), b*tching at the ump, etc. I think they *think* they are being "good sports parents" by pushing their kid and being sooo...over the top. They even said "oh, we are just competitive" to people a few times. Yeah, well, DH and I are too, believe me. We were both serious athletes in high school, etc. However, I just don't think LL Is the place for me to let my "competitiveness" fly. This mom acts like it is a badge of honor that she's so freaking competitive and pushes her kid so hard, as if she's doing the right thing, kwim? I think she thinks that's what a "good" sports mom looks like.

Last night's game resulted in somewhat better parent conduct. I sat on a different set of bleachers from the craziest woman...she was still a piece of work but toned it down by about a third. Still insane though. Her kid had a great hit last night into the outfield and was supposed to hold up at 2nd but she was screaming at him to run so he ran to third against what the coach was signaling and almost got out. She leaped from the bleachers, was jumping up and down non stop, screaming, fist pumping, was about one step away from charging the field...I mean, soooo over the top. And she is the one who looked around the other day like pressure? I am not putting pressure on my kid! after the coach's talk. I mean, I get excited and cheer and clap and am enthusiastic, but you'd have to see what she does to believe it. :rotflmao:

sunshine873
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Our LL coach sent this poem out at the beginning of the season. I wish it was posted at all baseball fields.

HE IS JUST A LITTLE BOY

He stands at the plate,
with his heart pounding fast.
The bases are loaded,
the die has been cast.

Mom and Dad cannot help him,
he stands all alone.
A hit at this moment,
would send the Team home.

The ball meets the plate,
he swings and he misses.
There’s a groan from the crowd,
with some boos and some hisses.

A thoughtless voice cries,
strike out the bum.
Tears fill his eyes,
the game’s no longer fun.

So open your heart,
and give him a break.
For it’s moments like this,
a man you can make.

Please keep this in mind,
when you hear someone forget.
He is just a little boy,
and not a man yet.

This is excellent. My DD hasn't started competitive sports yet (next year) but I'd be inclined to print this out on a few cards & pass them out as needed...the thought of dealing with crazed parents like that makes me sick.

brittone2
06-06-2012, 10:23 AM
This is excellent. My DD hasn't started competitive sports yet (next year) but I'd be inclined to print this out on a few cards & pass them out as needed...the thought of dealing with crazed parents like that makes me sick.
Yeah, well I'm not feeling so nice and have the urge to *staple* it to a few heads. Ahem.

:ROTFLMAO:

I really like the sentiment of that poem. Someone did comment yesterday that they seem so mature when you look at them out in the field at times, and then they crack and cry and you realize they are just little boys. So true. Now if only people would treat them that way.

cvanbrunt
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe you could pass out a few of these with the contact info for a good therapist on it.

http://www.cafepress.com/+warm_cup_of_stfu_business_cards,504005421

This is why I will never offer organized/team sports to my girls. You are waaayyy more patient than I could ever be.

Giantbear
06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
the coach should send this to every parent of every player in the league

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2JhYPYVzmHo/T6dFbHErjSI/AAAAAAAAJIA/tASKXn9Ldbg/s1600/255368241341062789_3JLsq3Dj_c.jpg

Giantbear
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
do'oh, didn't see this above

brittone2
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe you could pass out a few of these with the contact info for a good therapist on it.

http://www.cafepress.com/+warm_cup_of_stfu_business_cards,504005421

This is why I will never offer organized/team sports to my girls. You are waaayyy more patient than I could ever be.
:love-retry:

OMG, I am :ROTFLMAO:

My patience has totally evaporated. Thankfully yesterday they toned it down enough and I sat far enough away that I didn't explode.

Yeah, see I don't love the team sport thing in many ways, but since we HS, it is nice for my DS1 to be on a team, kwim?

cvanbrunt
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, see I don't love the team sport thing in many ways, but since we HS, it is nice for my DS1 to be on a team, kwim?

Oh absolutely. I think there is tremendous value in learning to work with a team and I would be remiss if I didn't give my girls that opportunity. My dad is a theatre professor so my team participation was in the arts. In my experience, no matter how po'd a parent might be about casting no stood up at a performance and shouts "You call that acting!" or some such outburst :). Plus, I'm athletically impaired.

R2sweetboys
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
This kind of behavior from parents is really disgusting. I feel so bad for their kids because of the pressure placed on them. I also feel bad because the kids learn to act the same way because they haven't been taught any better. It only hurts them in the long run because many coaches will not want them on their team. There is a boy in DS1's league whose parents are jerks. The dad was a head coach but was asked to step down a couple years ago because of complaints. He just ruined all the fun for the boys because he was so intense. For the past two years, this boy did not make the All Star team because of his poor attitude even though he's better than several of the kids who made it. It's just sad to me because he's the way he is because of his parents.

Thankfully this type of attitude from parents is generally not tolerated here. While we know some intense families, people seem to learn pretty quickly that it's not okay to criticize the players, umps, and coaches. A kid being disrespectful to a coach or ump will get him benched. Umps can order parents to leave the grounds if they are being obnoxious. Unfortunately, you can't control how parents treat their kids off the field. :(

Sillygirl
06-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Yuck, the over the top mom sounds awful. I'll bet if you filmed her and put it on Youtube, it could go viral, especially if you posted the link here for us all to tweet and Facebook around.

That's probably evil, but quite tempting.

maestramommy
06-07-2012, 08:08 AM
OMG Beth, I couldn't tear my eyes from your posts, it was like watching a train wreck. And wanting to throw up at the same time. This is one reason I'm not offering team sports to my kids either. I haven't heard of anything like this going on in our town, but people are people everywhere. Parents behaving in such an ungracious disgusting manner blows my mind. Don't they know kids are watching?? I've read about it in the news but to hear of IRL examples, yuck.

brittone2
06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Yuck, the over the top mom sounds awful. I'll bet if you filmed her and put it on Youtube, it could go viral, especially if you posted the link here for us all to tweet and Facebook around.

That's probably evil, but quite tempting.
:rotflmao: That is tempting! In some sick way, I actually think she'd like it. She is very full of herself. I don't say that lightly, but believe me, she is. Every game she seems determined to attract as much attention as possible, in multiple ways.

Globetrotter
06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
This reminds me of a team in our soccer league, which is a rec. league. The coach is so volatile that he lost points for yelling at the umpire. Someone on our ds's team used to be on his team, and she said he would only play the best players most of the game and got upset when she pointed it out and at the next game refused to give assignments. Parents had asked for a time change for practice, making it half an hour later, and same coach flipped his lid and said fine, do it two hours later. What a nut.

At least most of our parents are reasonable, but the league has cracked down. We are in a heavily Asian area so sports aren't as big a deal here. It's odyssey of the mind and science bowl :D