PDA

View Full Version : First train set and table--which brands and where to buy?

ExcitedMamma
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
DS loves the wooden train sets and tables that he sees at toy stores and other places when we are out. I have been waiting since the ages say 3+ so I was going to buy it for his birthday but I'm ver seriously thinking of buying one for August for him before our baby's birth. I'm hoping he'll love it and I'll have an easier time taking care of myself and a newborn and BF if he has some special new toys. Price and quality wise I'm leaning towards the Melissa and Doug deluxe train set and table. No idea about this stuff though so please tell me is this a good choice? Also DS loves seeing Thomas trains but our stores don't carry the wooden ones so any recommendations on what Thomas to look for online to add to the set?

Thank you!

Jai
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I bought the M&D deluxe train set for DS the Christmas before he turned two. We get almost daily play out of it. We don't have a table due to space and because I didn't want our tracks and train play restricted to the size of the table. He enjoys arranging the set into different configurations. I got a good deal on Amazon summer of 2010 and paid about $65 for the set.

larig
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
One place to look for the wooden ones at bargain prices is at Amazon, Sam's Club, or toys r us, etc. in the Thomas dvds. For less than the normal price of a engine you get an engine or car plus video. There are even double sets that have two.

Also, there is a Tidmouth Shed set that has several of the major characters. I'm not finding it now, but generally you can find that you get more bang for your buck from sets. TJMaxx had great deals on thomas stuff at xmas this year. Like $5 engines.

The engines that he'd probably want first are Thomas, James, Gordon, Percy, Henry, Edward, Emily, Toby...Harold the helicopter or the troublesome trucks would provide some variety.

ExcitedMamma
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
My mom just pointed out that the M&D table doesn't have the grooves that are in the train tables that are usually at the stores and other places. So clueless about this! Does that mean the M&D is not a good option? Please recommend your table and train set and where to buy. Thanks!