PDA

View Full Version : what thyroid test do i need?

boilermakermom
06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
i am getting blood work done in the next week or so. My family doc has sent orders for cholesterol and blood sugar. I am going to call and ask to add thyroid to the list as well.

Which thyroid test do I need to ask for? T3 and T4? I thought I remembered reading a few posts with specific directions, etc. when it came to thyroid testing.

KLD313
06-04-2012, 12:30 PM
TSH, and free T3 and T4. If you're having issues and symptom of autoimmune thyroid diseases you need to test for them as well.

AnnieW625
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Per my DO she only ordered a TSH test because she didn't want to do additional testing as my TSH the last time I had it tested was normal (this is when I was pregnant with DD2, so 18 months before I had it checked the last time) and again it came back smack dab in the middle of normal. If your doctor will ax. the T3-T4 then go for it as well I guess.

Have them check your vitamin D levels as well. I didn't realize they were that low, but they were the main reason that I was soo tired wasn't because my thyroid was low, but because I wasn't getting enough sun. I had no idea I was vitamin D deficient at all. I now take 6,000 iu daily (3, 2,000 iu tabs) thanks to the recommendations here.