PDA

View Full Version : 20 month old won't walk on sand... sensory issue, or normal?

ourbabygirl
06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
DS has been like this for at least the last few months, or as long as the weather has been warm enough where we would be out and I would notice this. He won't walk on the sand in our sandbox or at the park (if they use that instead of mulch), whether he's barefooted or wearing Keens. He does this with mulch, too (which we have under our play set), and possibly with grass, too.

Is this pretty typical for this age, or should I be worried and have him evaluated? I don't remember DD ever being this way, and I'm wondering what I can have him wear on his feet when we spend the week at a beach resort this summer. Maybe water shoes (though not sure if those would still allow sand in), or tennis shoes (though those probably wouldn't be great to wear in the water constantly)?

Thoughts? TIA! :)

wellyes
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
My daughter was that way for a good year, but is now fine with sand. She does have some sensory issues, but, many many people have sensory issues to some degree without it being a disorder IMO. It's not a standard kid response to sand, but it's also not indicative of a problem.

Crocs work on hard-packed sand, but soft sand, we never found shoes that were OK. Did a lot of carrying. Hope someone else has a better answer!

twowhat?
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I asked the same question a couple years back, LOL! Our girls just FLIPPED OUT walking on sand at that age. We couldn't visit one of the local playgrounds because it was sand instead of mulch because of it! So I say normal, esp for more sensitive kids (which ours are - very cautious, anxious, and NOT risk-takers...not that sand is "risky", hahaha).

eta: found my old thread! The responses totally made me feel better!
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=362374&highlight=sand

eta again - your DS may refuse to walk in the sand so I'd be sure to bring an Ergo/similar and a giant beach towel/blanket. For shoes - we just got the Speedo swim socks from Target and they're great for protecting little feet from hot surfaces - and they fit really snug around the cuff so I imagine they were designed like that to keep out sand.

jammytoast
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
normal for us. we did the mulitple towel 'island' for a while, then put her in socks to prevent the toes on the sand, and sometimes the skidders shoe/socks.

she DID get over it at the end our our last beach week (she was 26 mo) and has zero problems with it now :)

oho and ETA: soft sand is still hard for her sometimes, but she doesnt freak out. - but think of how hard it is for adults to walk on. maybe limited exposure (i.e. a sandbox or a nearby towel island so she can escape) might help?

Cam&Clay
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Both of my boys went through phases like this. Both hated grass at one point. We called DS1 "The Flamingo" because he would lift one foot up and stand there because he didn't want both feet in the grass. DS2 was more particular about sand and both were just about the same age as yours. I think it's just something they go through. Neither of my boys has sensory issues now.

A1icia
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
We went through this last summer with grass - I had actually forgotton about it. He would NOT touch the stuff, for awhile I was worried.

Now at 25 months he loves running around in grass even barefoot.

All by itself I don't think it is cause for an evaluation.

Indianamom2
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
I have one child with diagnosed sensory issues and one without. Both went through an intense phase of no touching grass or sand, with their hands or feet.

Both absolutely LOVE it now...at almost 8 yrs. and almost 3 yrs. I think it's completely normal.

brittone2
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
DS1 did not have any major sensory issues but had some sensory quirks at that age. Scared of walking on sand, didn't like loud sounds like the blender or vacuum.

If it is one of the only things you notice, I'd chalk it up to likely being just an age related thing. Sensory things become more of a concern when you find as a family you need to tiptoe around certain triggers, for example, or it is really impacting everyone's quality of life, kwim?

Many kids have the odd sensory quirk but their issues aren't enough to really adversely effect the whole family, kwim?

DD never cared about sand but DS2 was not a fan the first day we were at the beach on a recent vacation. By day 2 he loved it. He loves his sandbox at home, he just wasn't too sure about being *in* the sand at first. He's 26 months.

ha98ed14
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Very normal IMO&E. DD had this with both grass and sand and she is fine now. She also had other sensory issues and a speech delay as a toddler, but by the time she turned 3.5, she had outgrown the sensory issues and "graduated" from speech therapy (tested with in normal range); so even if DC's issues are identified, it doesn't mean DC will be on the spectrum permanently. These things to seem to be seen in otherwise typically developing children.

vonfirmath
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
My son didn't want to be on sand at 25 months either. I haven't tried since. We're not big beach people anyway.

gatorsmom
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Gator was like that. I could take him to the park and leave him on a blanket without watching him because he wouldn't leave the blanket. He hated the grass. He is nearly 9yo now and has no sensory issues.

I dontt think you should get too concerned about one sensory-avoiding behavior. If your DC starts to show other signs, then it might be worth looking into if these behaviors are creating limitations in your life or are really distressing to him.

wellyes
06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Grand Trunk parasheet might help you on the beach. It is big (7x7) but very lightweight.