PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the terrible 3s

ExcitedMamma
06-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I've noticed a lot of posts about the terrible 3s and my DS is getting closer to 3 now and I will also have a new baby then so I'm curious about this. What's hard about 3? What do I need to know? Tell me how to prepare for this before I'm too sleep deprived with a new baby to be ready.

Thanks!

twowhat?
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
All you need are 2 things:

1) :54::54::54::54::54:

2) Keep repeating to yourself: "This too shall pass"

Of course, not all 3yos are "terrible" - I have a friend with an almost-4yo who has thrown a classic screaming tantrum TWICE. That's right - TWICE and neither lasted more than 20 min. I have completely lost count of how many hour+ long FULL-ON screaming tantrums we've had here...

My kids started doing a lot of screaming at 2 and I really thought it couldn't get worse but then they turned 3 and it did get worse. My DD2 can go for HOURS and just last week I had an evening that was, literally, completely filled with screaming. Picked them up from school, got home, then DD1 screamed (full-on) from 5:45-6:45pm (during which she peed all over the floor) and then calmed down and RIGHT as she calmed down DD1 screamed (full-on) from 6:45pm until bathtime. I almost threw them into bed I was so DONE for the night...DD1 even told me she was mad at me after she calmed down and when I asked why, she said "because you screamed at me" LOLOLOLOL. And yeah like the awesome mom I am, I shot back at her "Well, I'm mad too because YOU screamed at ME." I almost had ice cream with cognac splashed over it (the only alcohol I had in the house) after they were asleep. I should've just had it straight on the rocks but I can't tolerate cognac like that:)

scrooks
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
From about 18 month until close to 4 it was a blur for me. The 2's and 3's ran together. The closer to 4 dd got the better she was. I am in the midst of it with DS. He is 2.75 and definitely "going through" a stage.

m448
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
All I can say is that 3 was dandy - it was 3.5 that kicked me in the shins. Looking back I can now confidently say that 3.5 with my oldest almost drove me to drink and 3.5 with the other two confirms it's my least favorite age even though I still loved them through it.

I suggest getting the book by Ames and Ilg , "Your Three Year Old" and reading it quickly. Like now. Ignore the parenting advice since most of what they have to offer for 3 year olds is to send them off to preschool LOL. Give her lots of routine and plenty of outside time for gross motor movement.

AngelaS
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Three is two with a year of practice. ;)

If two wasn't bad, just keep doing what you're doing. Otherwise, prepare to be super consistent.

legaleagle
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
All I can say is that 3 was dandy - it was 3.5 that kicked me in the shins. Looking back I can now confidently say that 3.5 with my oldest almost drove me to drink and 3.5 with the other two confirms it's my least favorite age even though I still loved them through it.

I suggest getting the book by Ames and Ilg , "Your Three Year Old" and reading it quickly. Like now. Ignore the parenting advice since most of what they have to offer for 3 year olds is to send them off to preschool LOL. Give her lots of routine and plenty of outside time for gross motor movement.

:yeahthat:

The full title is your 3 year old: friend or enemy, which pretty much sums up 3 to a tee.

lcarlson90
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
My DS will be 4 next month so I have been through it. I would say the only thing I have noticed is that DS has become more opinionated and when he doesn't get his way he pouts. There are many nights he will refuse his dinner because he doesn't like what we are eating. He never used to do that. I feel pretty lucky though because he doesn't do the full on tantrum thing like a lot of kids.

brittone2
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
DS1 was always a pretty compliant, people-pleaser first born. At age 2, just a look from me or a gentle verbal reprimand would have him behaving or in tears. Then he turned 3 :ROTFLMAO: It was like the day of his third bday someone flipped a switch. I told my friend who has a DS 6 months younger and she was like really? Your DS1 is doing that stuff? Then 6 months later her son turned 3 and she called me and was like WTH happened to him??? :ROTFLMAO:

Then 3.5 came. Blech! Even worse LOL. DS1 was fine from about age 4 on.

With DD, 3 and 4 were both totally *filled* with drama. I thought I was going to rip my hair out.

DS2 is 2 and has been the most challenging of the 3 kids at age 2. I am scared for 3. Really scared ;)

hellokitty
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Part of it is dependent on the child's personality and temperment. I can say after having three, that DS1 was very good compared to other kids when it came to tantrums. DS2 was awful and DS3 is a beast. By 3, they are much more verbal and want to exert independence, so it can be a struggle of wills. They also have started to figure out which things irritate you and they do it on purpose. That's what's worse about the 3's than 2's, is sometimes they are being difficult just to be difficult, but when are they are 2, they are just being 2. Wait until the f'ing 4's...

MamaMolly
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Three is two with a year of practice. ;)

And a bigger vocabulary. The only cure for 3 is turning 4. Lula was an angel at 2. Insanely good, like the poster child for sweet, compliant, obedient. I thought I was the BEST mom on Earth. Then she turned 3 and I quickly realized she is normal and sadly, so am I. ;) :hysterical:

maylips
06-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh, dear. DD was my compliant one (or I just forgot).

DS, on the other hand, keeps my wine supplier happy. And he won't turn 3 until August.

Reading this thread fills me with dread.

maestramommy
06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
All you need are 2 things:

1) :54::54::54::54::54:

2) Keep repeating to yourself: "This too shall pass"
:)

And if nothing much happens, be thankful you dodged a bullet. And when it finally does happen (at 3 or 4 or 5) just tell yourself, "well she's right no target then." :p

DD1 and 2 didn't get to this point until 3.5. But thing didn't start getting better until sometime after 5. DD3 started up at 2.5. Not a day goes by without a meltdown. But more than that is the practicing for law school in the most mosquito inspired whine ever.

mousemom
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
In the grand scheme of things, DS is still a very good little guy. But from 3 till now (a little more than 3.5) he's just gotten much more difficult. 2 was easy, but now he has much stronger opinions, and is very bossy and demanding. We're working with him on manners and trying to remember that this is a just a phase (I hope anyway).

AJP
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
All I can say is 3.5 was what really hit me...times two. I look back and think what happened to my 2 and 3 yr old (mostly) angels. Hoping the fours are fabulous. Lol. There are some days where no one is happy but the dog and that's only because she eats more off the floor than her bowl. My DH is seriously thankful that he is not a female because he's sure we're ALL evil and pmsing all the time. Lol. Even HE can't make them happy some days, and he's the "fun" one. Our DS is so far so mellow that DH is sure he is his son and the twins belong to the ups guy.