PDA

View Full Version : Any professional grant writers amongst the crowd?

Jenny_A
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I am looking to pursue grant writing as a career and wanted to talk to someone who did it. Thanks!

kdeunc
06-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I have written grants as part of my job and also do it freelance on a small scale. Would be happy to answer any questions I could for you.

citymama
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Talk to Katie/kjijp!

I do a lot of grant writing for my job but it's not what I'm supposed to be doing. This isn't the BP, or I would elaborate. ;)

AnnieW625
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I have written some non profit grants for my Jr. League, and while I thought I would find it enjoyable I really didn't. I didn't have any professional training, but honestly I think our league would do so much better if they hired a professional. It is very time consuming, and tedius. I am glad to be almost done with that assignment.

Jenny_A
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I have written grants as part of my job and also do it freelance on a small scale. Would be happy to answer any questions I could for you.

Kelly, I've just sent you a PM. :)

kdeunc
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Jenny,
Got your message. I will email you tomorrow. Actually working on some grants tonight and have to get to work! :)

Jenny_A
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Jenny,
Got your message. I will email you tomorrow. Actually working on some grants tonight and have to get to work! :)

Please take your time! No rush!

kijip
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
That's what I do for a living nowadays. I also do individual fundraising. It's a good, steady client stream.

You should read Getting Funded by Mary Hall and Susan Howlett. Excellent, succinct resource. Better than all other books on the topic, hands down.

Happy to answer any questions.

One bit of advice- grant writers that are on staff with an org are among the lowest paid development workers. I never was a staff writer, it was just one part of my full-on development and management work. I would advise anyone looking to make this a career to go into development in general OR to do grantwriting as a freelancer. The median in house annual salary for grantwriters hovers in the mid 30s. Freelancing comes with the hassles/costs of building a business but hourly billing rates are significantly higher- $35 to $75 an hour is common and long established freelancers go higher.