PDA

View Full Version : My backyard will be desolate! Yay!

niccig
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
It's amazing what can happen in a couple of hours with 3 workers (2 gardeners and me), a chain saw and a big truck to load everything in.

DH and I had plans to rework the back half of our yard - a 20 x 20 area. Then over the weekend sitting out there having wine I told him what I wanted to do to 3 other areas, he said may as well do it now. I jump for joy as I've been wanting to get rid of these Giant Birds of Paradise palms ever since we moved in over 7 yrs ago.

After all this work, we'll still have a lot of plants and will judiciously replant smaller things. It was ridiculous how thickly planted everything was. In the 20x20 area you could use about 1/3 the space. So wish I had managed to convince DH of all of this years ago.

hellokitty
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Yay! It's actually quite fun getting rid of extra bushes, etc.. We have actually had some extra bushes and two trees (unfortunately, we had to cut own the trees, I wouldn't have by choice) cut down 2x in the 9 yrs that we've lived in our house and neighbors have come up to us to tell us how much nicer our landscaping looks with things thinned out. More, isn't always better. I hope you like your new backyard!

crl
06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Yay, have fun with it!

Catherine

niccig
06-05-2012, 12:20 AM
HelloKitty, yes more isn't better. I was working along our back wall, called the gardener over and asked "did you know there was a camellia in this back corner?" I love camellias. We'll transplant it to a new location.

I am enjoying this. I want a usable back yard.

While we're removing many plants, we'll still have many plants, but better placed to create more useful room. I'll have space for a raised bed, we'll have more lawn space for DS to run around, and we can move the grill out of the seating area. There will also be room for a hot tub, which DH desperately wants. I don't think it'll be this year (still discussing when we'll get it), but the space will be cleared and we might just do some light plantings (from other plants we can move around) until we can get one.