PDA

View Full Version : do i need waterproof mattress pad?

Smith_Family
06-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I have one on my 4 year olds bed of course, but with the new baby coming I'm wondering if we need one on OUR bed. we currently have this on our bed http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/bedroom/mattresspads/mattress_pads/PRD~c15334/Chaps+Cluster+Puff+DownAlternative+Mattress+Pad.js p

so should i get a waterproof mattress pad to go over top of it? or could i get away with just a large crib pad over top on my side of the bed (i'm worried about leaking with breastfeeding, baby blowouts, etc.).

what is your set up in your bedrooms like?

roseyloxs
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
We use this.
http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Malouf-Mattress-Protector-Waterproof-Eliminates/dp/B0035E63WM

I like it a lot. Gives me some peace of mind for when the kids come into bed and when my husband comes home from his travelling (bed bugs). It is soft (but has no padding) and is completely silent.

wallawala
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
We have a waterproof pad from Target, was about $50 for the King, so not expensive. I LOVE having it for back up as we've had some baby blowouts, breast milk explosions (i have overactive let down), and a puke-fest or two. I do use a smaller pad on top to protect the sheets, but that hasn't been enough several times, and SOOO nice not to worry!

I bought it before we were even planning to co-sleep, and now that we are, it's come in handy ALOT. It's not crinkly at all, feels just like a normal mattress pad (but a PITA to wash as it's hard to dry in dryer with waterproof backing).

Pyrodjm
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I would get a mattress cover. My babies move around my bed and our has saved my mattress from breast milk, diaper blowouts and projectile vomit more time than I can count.

queenmama
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
We have a few crib-sized waterproof pads. Not sure how they'll do when she gets bigger but for now they work. I didn't want to invest in queen-sized covers because of the cost. And I don't want to have to mess with changing our sheets every time she spits up, etc.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

hillview
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
yes you do. Or rather you will at some point so it is a good idea to have one at the start. We've had one puke and more pees than I can remember in our bed for one reason or another. We also have a nicer mattress so it is important to me that we keep it clean.

zag95
06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes, we've got one on our King bed. Just because sometimes DD likes to rest with me in there- she's had a few accidents (we are still working on bladder control!!)

Plus if I was to be sick in bed or whatever, I'd rather be able to strip and wash the mattress pad and sheet, then try to scrub substances from our mattress.

We used gift cards to get a waterproof mattress pad from Macy's- in the future, we will get on from Land's End, which is what is on DD's bed and much nicer!

infomama
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
yes you do. Or rather you will at some point so it is a good idea to have one at the start.

:yeahthat: just do it.

Indianamom2
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
:yeahthat: just do it.

:yeahthat: Spoken as someone who has (this spring) cleaned a VERY wet queen-size mattress in DD's room. It is worth the cost. Trust me.

123LuckyMom
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I agree that it's a good idea, but I had one on my bed, and it made me sweat like crazy! I had to take it off. After having several breast milk and spit up accidents with my regular mattress pad, I put a towel between the sheet and the pad, and that worked-- until tonight when DH was holding her, and she vomited all over his side of the bed! I'd LOVE to find a waterproof pad that didn't make me sweat like crazy. Any suggestions?

gatorsmom
06-05-2012, 02:36 AM
I realized a waterproof mattress pad would have been a good idea when my water broke in the middle of the night and gushed like a river all over our feather mattress. That was with our first child.

There are so many good reasons to have a QUALITY waterproof cover. Besides leaky letdowns and potential diaper leaks, I sweat profusely for the first 4 nights after coming home from the hospital. I soaked through sheets. I think it's a good idea.

eagle
06-05-2012, 02:49 AM
I agree that it's a good idea, but I had one on my bed, and it made me sweat like crazy! I had to take it off. After having several breast milk and spit up accidents with my regular mattress pad, I put a towel between the sheet and the pad, and that worked-- until tonight when DH was holding her, and she vomited all over his side of the bed! I'd LOVE to find a waterproof pad that didn't make me sweat like crazy. Any suggestions?

i have two of these for two beds (total four mattress pads. crazy?): http://bit.ly/M7AjXS

both our beds are set up this way (innermost to outermost layer): mattress. bedbug barrier. lands end mattress pad. sheet. lands end mattress pad. sheet.

ds' bed and our bed has both had vomit and pee and poop on them at one time or another in 2.5 years. doesnt worry me. just means more laundry.

good luck!