PDA

View Full Version : Re: Precocious Puberty In Girls

ha98ed14
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
In light of the recent threads on this issue, I thought I would pass on this bit of info I got from my ped today @ DD's 5 yo well child:

The breast area is a normal area for fat deposits in female children. As of today DD is 25% for height and weight and has been since 24 mos. Her BMI is smack in the middle of the normal range. I was concerned because her chest is raised like two little mounds. I asked him to check her, and he said she had no signs of early development. He said you only worry about it when you feel hard pebbles or dimes directly under the nipple. He also said the first sign would be hair in the arm pit area prior to 9 yo. Then you worry.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass on the part about the small mounds of fatty deposit behind the nipples or "bumps" being okay because it had me worried. HTH someone.

AnnieW625
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
My sister who didn't get breasts until she was at least 14, and got her period at 13 (I got both by the time I had turned 12, and she is 10 yrs. younger) has a couple of those deposits as well and got them around the time she was 4-5 yrs. old. She had them checked out at that age and they were okay. The are called paplomas (I think).

trcy
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info!

MamaMolly
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks! I'd been wondering how to check and was hesitant to Google.

ang79
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I remember asking our ped about this same thing when DD2 was just a baby. One side appears larger than the other and you can feel a difference. The ped said its nothing to worry about and that if they are uneven, she'll grow out of it most likely.

longtallsally05
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
In light of the recent threads on this issue, I thought I would pass on this bit of info I got from my ped today @ DD's 5 yo well child:

...He said you only worry about it when you feel hard pebbles or dimes directly under the nipple. He also said the first sign would be hair in the arm pit area prior to 9 yo. Then you worry...

Um, sorry but your pediatrician is wrong. My DD has no underarm hair, but when the pediatric endocrinologist gave her a hormone stimulation test her hormone levels were three times the level of what would be normal for her age and she's between Tanner Stages II and III. The pediatric endocrinologist says it's definitely central precocious puberty. If your child has CPP and you wait too long, it will impact her overall adult height. If you are concerned then your child should be evaluated by a pediatric endocrinologist just to make sure you have all the information before you decide on a course of action/inaction. I absolutely would not wait until hair begins to grow in the armpits.