PDA

View Full Version : Self Tanner Question

Indianamom2
06-04-2012, 10:41 PM
As a bit of background, last weekend we decided to build the kids a wooden playset. It was between 95-97 degrees all weekend with full sun and virtually no shade. I'm very fair. I tried to do as much in the shade as possible and I wasn't in direct sunlight that often, I didn't think, but long story short, I ended up with a lovely case of sun poisoning, which if you are unfamiliar basically is an allergic response to the strong sun. It's "only" on my forearms, ears and the back of my neck. It's healing now, but I've pretty much decided that the sun and I have never really gotten along (despite my desperate need for vitamin D) and the sun has just upped its ante. I look like I'm recovering from a nasty case of the Pox!

So all that to say that I'm trying out the Jergans daily gradual tanner with SPF 20 for the first time. I showered this morning, exfoliated, shaved and then put Cerave moisturizer (the kind in the tub) on my ankles and knees and a light coating on my hands in the hopes that the self tanner didn't absorb too much on the dry areas. I (so far) have had no problems with my hands or ankles (only did my legs to try it out), but both knees turned a lot darker on the kneecap.

My skin is quite dry, but is there any way to avoid this getting worse? Any suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again? And does this stuff work well for anyone else? I haven't used self-tanner in many years, so I'm hoping it's improved since then! The smell is the still the same though....

babyonway
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I cannot stand the smell of that stuff. I have tried the spray Banana Boat (http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-Self-Tanning-Airbrush-5-Ounce/dp/B002Y26RWM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338865942&sr=8-4)and that smell is not nearly as bad. This is what I do and it tends to work well I don't shave and exfoiliate thought I probably should but I put the tanner all over my body except my hands and feet. Then I mix a VERY small amount of tanner with lotion and rub that all over my feet knees and elbows. Then I wash my hands and put a little self tanner on my hands from the tube so it doesn't touch the palms of my hands then rub it in with my index and middle finger. I do this with both hands. Then I take a towel and rub rub rub the underside of my index and middle finger. Then I take the towel and rub the underside of my wrists and my whole hand my knees and elbows and my feet and ankles. I pay special attention to the webbing of my fingers and my toes. The rubbing of my knees and ankles and elbows is to ensure that they aren't darker. The focus on my feel and hands and webbing is to ensure there isn't a line of demarcation.

I still mess it up sometimes but most of the time I get it pretty right.

GAWD I do hate the smell though, I swear the Banana Boad is better. :)

HTH and GL!

TxCat
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Really exfoliate your knees, ankles and elbows. Then moisturize those spots only prior to applying self tanner. Then, after you've applied self tanner, use a paper towel to wipe off the excess in those same areas. Helps reduce dark knees considerably.