PDA

View Full Version : Trek 220 vs. Specialized Hotrock for 9 yo boy?

kijip
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
We have a choice between these for a (used) bike purchase for T's bday. Any reason to get one over the other? The price is about the same. Thanks.

new_mommy25
06-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Is it a surprise? Because if not, I would be inclined to have your DS try them out and see which he prefers. There will be differences in the frame, seat, etc. When we bought my DS's bike we actually visited 3 different bike shops before he chose one (the first one he tried from the first shop!). We learned that even though the bikes were all the same size, they were actually a lot different. The Specialized 20" was smaller in frame than the Haro 20" we ended getting and I and the bike employee helping us could tell it would be outgrown quickly. Sorry I'm not more help! Either way, both bikes are great so you probably can't go wrong with either. The Specialized will probably be lighter.

kijip
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Is it a surprise? Because if not, I would be inclined to have your DS try them out and see which he prefers. There will be differences in the frame, seat, etc. When we bought my DS's bike we actually visited 3 different bike shops before he chose one (the first one he tried from the first shop!). We learned that even though the bikes were all the same size, they were actually a lot different. The Specialized 20" was smaller in frame than the Haro 20" we ended getting and I and the bike employee helping us could tell it would be outgrown quickly. Sorry I'm not more help! Either way, both bikes are great so you probably can't go wrong with either. The Specialized will probably be lighter.

He has tried both at the bike shop and liked them both equally. He is thinking that he will asking for one for Christmas and we just went to see what size he might be growing into. We are getting him one for his birthday. So it is a surprise but we had him try out a buch of brands earlier this month. He liked both of these models equally well. He is big enough, but not close to growing out, either in the 24 inch wheel version. I posted a WTB ad on CL and these were each offered in like new condition for under $150. It is a group gift from everyone in the family.

I decided to go with the Specialized one but really the deciding factor was that it is significantly closer to my house. :tongue5: So provided it is as described/pictured, I will have it in hand tonight. Gotta hide it for his birthday.

KrisM
06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Katie,

We are bike shopping as well. DS2 needs the 16" and DD needs the 20", so DS2 needs a new bike :). He hasn't tried them out yet, but our local stores have the Specialized Hotrock and the Trek 220. When you tried them out, did you find many diffrences? Was one significantly lighter than the other?

kijip
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Katie,

We are bike shopping as well. DS2 needs the 16" and DD needs the 20", so DS2 needs a new bike :). He hasn't tried them out yet, but our local stores have the Specialized Hotrock and the Trek 220. When you tried them out, did you find many diffrences? Was one significantly lighter than the other?

The Specialized didn't seem THAT much lighter than the Trek to me but it seems pretty light. We have the Specialized Hotrock hiding in my office right now. It is a very nice bike, even more so for $150 off CL. It's going to be hard to wait till the 24th to give it to him (his bday party.)

KrisM
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks. He tried the Specialized tonight and liked it. We're debating between the 7 and 21 speeds. I want to do 7 and DH says 21.

kijip
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I decided the 7 speed would be easier to learn how to shift and get used to shifting. I passed on the 21 speed models on CL. I figure he can have a zillion speeds when he is 12 or 13 and riding an adult bike.

KrisM
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
That is what I think as well. DH says he will want them in a year or so. I figure he'll just get, yet another, bike when he's ready. It seems like we are always buying new bikes.

I can't find anything on our CL :(. I've been looking for 4-5 weeks now. I think we'll just buy new. At least I know 2 kids will use it. I'm hoping it'll last DS1 for 4 years and then DS2 will take it.

kijip
06-07-2012, 02:29 AM
And when you are done with it, you will be able to recoup some $ selling it.

Getting one off our our CL was hard- nearly everything sold as soon as it was posted. I was reloading Craigspro every few minutes. :bag. With me working only PT from home, I had to find it used. While I know a quality bike is worth it, we are budgeting very carefully.

KrisM
06-07-2012, 06:15 AM
I am very excited that we can finally start selling bikes this year! We've had the 12" Trek for 5 years and all 3 kids have used it and it's in great shape.

The bikes don't even come up on our CL. I can't find any to even look at. I did put a WTB on yesterday and got 1 response, but for 26" bikes instead.

niccig
06-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Kris, I may be too late for this. We got DS a 20" 7 gear hot rock. We do a lot of riding and there's been many times we wished DS could go down a speed. He's adjusted to it fine, but it did take a little time to learn how to change gears. DH and my bike have 7 speeds, I think 21 is over kill for most people, so not worth the extra cost.

KrisM
06-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Kris, I may be too late for this. We got DS a 20" 7 gear hot rock. We do a lot of riding and there's been many times we wished DS could go down a speed. He's adjusted to it fine, but it did take a little time to learn how to change gears. DH and my bike have 7 speeds, I think 21 is over kill for most people, so not worth the extra cost.

Thanks for the input. We haven't bought anything yet and are still hoping to find on CL. This week is busy and then he has camp for a week, but after that, we'll need to start moving kids up a bike. We keep looking because we'd like one with water bottle mounts, and a quick release front tire. They're hard to find.