PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller for mall

beckyhd13
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I have a 17mo and 2mo. Was lucky enough to find a Bob duallie on our neighborhood sales list for 325, so I am set for walks in the neighborhood, parks, festivals, etc. However, I'm looking for advice on a stroller for mall shopping. No side by side is going to fit through clothing aisles, even the City Mini, so I think a front and back is going to be necessary. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible since we're already paying for the Bob, but please tell me if you think I need to spend more to get something that will really work. We have the chicco carseat, so I was considering getting the Chicco double. I wish there was an umbrella front and back stroller - the Bob/umbrella stroller has worked so well for us with one baby...

Candyshop1999
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I love my B Ready for everything inside, including mall crawling. Pushes EASILY with one hand (and my twins are 2 now) while I sip my beverage or peruse through racks. (also LOVE my Duallie for everything outside).
Maybe check ur local CL's for a good, used tandem?

hoodlims
06-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Do you babywear? I'd suggest a good baby carrier. That is what I use for my near 6m old and my 2 year old. I only bring a stroller when I need a place to put my stuff, but then again, DD is VERY good about staying close.

hapimommy
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
This may be overkill for the mall, but most of the used ones seem in your price range. It is my car double, so anywhere I drive, I can use it. It works at our gymboree and carters, and actually seems to manuver much better than my vista did with two kids. I picked a used one up for 200, and sold it for 170, and still have one that I bought for 300. I really love this stroller, it is not super light, but my kids like it, and it pushes really well, even on most terrains because of the air tires. My ds is 3.5 and weighs 40 lbs, dd is 14 months and 18 lbs. I also have a mbduo, which is a great stroller, but I refuse to lift that beast in and out of the car.

hapimommy
06-07-2012, 02:50 PM
We also could easily put DD's carseat in the front or back seat, right onto the seat in the Jane powertwin, though their adapters only work for Jane seats, our graco could be tucked into the reinforced fabric flap, and be extremely secure. I learned that from the lady I purchased it from. It should work the same way for your chicco carseat.

BabyBearsMom
06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I love my B Ready for everything inside, including mall crawling. Pushes EASILY with one hand (and my twins are 2 now) while I sip my beverage or peruse through racks. (also LOVE my Duallie for everything outside).
Maybe check ur local CL's for a good, used tandem?

Love my B-Ready for the mall, it is perfect for that.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-07-2012, 03:10 PM
i have kids with almost identical spacing. The chicco double looks like a beast too push IMO. Same with BJ City Select. I don't have a B-Ready but I have a Vista which is very similar (with Rumbleseat, and piggyback board) which i loved as a double at first. I liked it with DD bc it had a bassinet and i used that until DD was almost 6mo (am not a fan of leaving infants in carseat). DS would just ride on the piggyback board. THe basket of the Vista is AWESOME, great for mall trips bc it holds a TON of crap :)

But to be honest, as DD got older i liked SBS double (BJCMD) better for the mall. Sure, they won't fit into clothing racks but even those that do are going to be a pain to steer around the tight clothing racks once babies get a little older/heavier. When they get older and heavier (now mine are almost 15mo and 2.5yo), and you are hauling 55+ lbs of kids, a tandem is a PAIN to steer. I always felt i was going to knock someone over accidentally trying to maneuver it around. Another bad thing about tandems are that they are difficult to steer in many public bathrooms or to fit in stalls, bc they take up so much forward/back space..many times when i was by myself i had to leave stroller out when i had to use the bathroom myself. I did not have much a problem with BJCMD on this.

I agree with a PP's suggestion that for tighter areas to try babywearing..and then using an umbrella single for older child. Until DD was about 7mo, that's how i went grocery shopping with the both of them...wearing DD and then DS in the shopping cart seat. Even when i went to places like TJMAXX i would do that..in dr appts i would wear DD and then bring a Maclaren Volo for DS or something.

I don't think i used a tandem stroller once my DD was past 6 or 7mo (that reminds me, i need to sell my Rumbleseat!). It was just too heavy/cumbersome IMO at that point (my DD was nearing 20 lbs at that point). And the Vista pushes just as well, if not better than the B-Ready. I just found a SBS so much easier.

eta: that's awesome about the Duallie you got, great deal. I have a Duallie as well, and it's perfect for walks to the park, etc.

eta2: another reason i prefer BJCMD for mall shopping is the weight and the quick, simple fold. it is so easy to get in and out of the car and takes up so little space.

Candyshop1999
06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
See everyone has their own opinion. I HATE my Vista as a double. Sits in my garage (with a Mac Twin Techno). Steers terrible, needs 2 hands and u have to brake the whole thing apart to put it in your car. My twins just turned 2, are close to 30 and 33lbs and 37" in height. Still have plenty of room.
BJCS! UGHHHH.... Had that too. Sold it in one month.
Eager to try the new B Ready wheels :)

roseyloxs
06-08-2012, 03:49 AM
There is a front to back umbrella stroller called the kinderwagon. It doesn't get great reviews and I don't think its suitable for a newborn. So you would be stuck babywearing until they were big enough to ride.

Here is the video review from baby gizmo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdU_ydMQW0M

tribe pride
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I know it's over your budget, but you might consider looking for a deal on the MB Duet. It's only as wide as some single strollers (24.5"). I liked it a lot when I tried it in the store- the seats had more room than I was expecting, my 3yo averages-sized DS fit fine, and maneuverability was great.

beckyhd13
06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Love my B-Ready for the mall, it is perfect for that.

A couple of more thoughts/questions for y'all:

1) I'm not worried about putting a car seat in it - as I said, I'm really looking for something that's the double equivalent of an umbrella stroller. The baby is 9 weeks now, so she's ok in something that reclines, plus I can put her in the sling or ERGO right now if necessary. I'm more worried about having something that is going to work for when I have a 1 and 2.5 yo and then a 2 and 3.5 yo so that I can go to the mall or other similar types of expeditions.

2) For those who recommended the B Ready or Vista, are your kids really willing to sit in the rumbleseat? I can't imagine my 17mo being happy in there from the looks of it, which is fine for now when I could put the baby down there, but won't work in a year. Otherwise, looks like a great option.

The Kinderwagon looks really intriguing - I've never heard of it before. It seems to be on backorder everywhere right now.

Thanks so much for all the input - it is SO helpful!!

BayGirl2
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM
There is a front to back umbrella stroller called the kinderwagon. It doesn't get great reviews and I don't think its suitable for a newborn. So you would be stuck babywearing until they were big enough to ride.

Here is the video review from baby gizmo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdU_ydMQW0M

If you are looking at something the style of the Kinderwagon I'd just go with a Mountain Buggy +One. Same concept but better tires, more maneuverable, overall better quality. And it works as an AT single too. I love it for shopping, even with one kid.