PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for recommending radon testing by home inspector! Realtor woes...

daisyd
06-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks for recommending radon testing by home inspector! I'd posted asking about radon testing. My realtor wanted to do it herself and we were a little confused. She said our timelines (set by her, we're very flexible) were tight and we did not want to risk the results not coming back on time if done by home inspector. She said it was pretty much the same test the inspector would do, just quicker and cheaper. So she did one (levels 2 and 2.6) and we got it done with the inspector after that. We just got the results and it's at 4.1. We're glad we had it professionally tested.She made light of it. She even said that it was recommended not required to mitigate at this level and the buyer's would not agree to do it. It's incredible how well she's able to read the buyer's mind...I have the strong feeling that she represents the buyer's not us at this point after hearing this line over and over.
My particular gripe is with our tight timelines and both DH and I working she refused to meet us on the weekend for the second time. When we suggested an alternative time she said she was volunteering at a local hospital Monday morning and offered another time. So we agree and then she does not confirm. DH calls trying to confirm the time and then she says she's volunteering the whole day. DH and I don't work 9-5 jobs and we've taken a whole bunch of time off for this -which she knows. I'm close to losing it.

Feels good to get that off my chest :)

TwinFoxes
06-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Your realtor sucks. The EPA recommends mitigation at 4.0.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/citguide.html

Radon is serious business. It's a major cause of lung cancer.

wellyes
06-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I would not be happy with your realtor. It's true that all realtors just want the sale but - to push for it at the expense of a potentially very serious health issue is pretty disgusting.

brittone2
06-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Radon is serious business. It's a major cause of lung cancer.
:yeahthat: Our first house had a level just over 4 during the inspection. The sellers mitigated it for us, and that was in a really hot housing mkt at the time. I don't think the system was all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. We later had it retested with the new system and the levels were much lower (I don't recall what # anymore).

Indianamom2
06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
:yeahthat: Our first house had a level just over 4 during the inspection. The sellers mitigated it for us, and that was in a really hot housing mkt at the time. I don't think the system was all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. We later had it retested with the new system and the levels were much lower (I don't recall what # anymore).

Same here. I'd get a new agent.

TwinFoxes
06-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Same here...our sellers had several full price offers to choose from. I think mitigating it was less than $2000 which compared to the cost of the house was nothing. If your sellers refuse to mitigate, and you REALLY want the house, you need to be sure to hire someone yourselves. It's a poisonous radioactive gas that kills.

stinkyfeet
06-05-2012, 09:02 AM
I'd beretta upset if I were you, and I would also look for another agent unless you were bound by contract to her.

In this market, she hold be bending over backwards to accomadate you.

We just sold/bought a house...after reading all of these real estate posts, i feel so lucky we had a positive experience.

crl
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
So sorry! I would be careful about getting another agent at this point in the process. As you know from my thread, my dh feels that we are legally obligated to use the agent I am unhappy with for a house we have had negotiations on. If you want to switch, I would probably check with a lawyer first to make sure about all this.

In the meantime, I think she's nuts on the radon. The sellers are going to have to mitigate for the next buyers if they don't mitigate for you. There is no reason not to negotiate this with them.

Catherine

infomama
06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Your realtor sucks.
:yeahthat:. I'd be all over her ass.

arivecchi
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Radon is serious business. It's a major cause of lung cancer.:yeahthat:
We had test results over 4 and the sellers were at that point basically legally obligated to remedy the situation. Once sellers know they have reportable radon levels, they have to disclose those results going forward to potential buyers, so they may as well take care of it now.

Tondi G
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow she is an awful realtor. I would ask her if making money on her job as a realtor is less important than volunteering all day at the hospital? If she can't find a way to make time for you (her client) then maybe you should look for another realtor who makes you a priority. I would ask her straight out if she is representing the sellers. If she says No then ask her why she is pushing this sale and moving your family into a potentially dangerous home! The sellers are going to have to deal with it ... whether it's for you or another buyer.

Good Luck

Mommy_Mea
06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow, she sounds like a pain to deal with!

When we bought, we knew the radon tests would come back after the rest of the home inspection, and that portion of the inspection contingency was left open until the radon test results came back. We signed the P&S in the meantime (standard in MA), but we could still negotiate based on the radon test results. I have to imagine this is standard practice in any state, since radon test take a while. I get the feeling your realtor doesn't know what she is talking about :(

marymoo86
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
With all of the issues that you have mentioned with the particular home - is it really worth buying?

Binkandabee
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Have all your posts been about the same house? The mold, rodents, poor quality well water, odd lot crossing the street and now high radon? I'm with PP, I think all of these things combined might just give me pause on whether I should be buying this house.

daisyd
06-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Have all your posts been about the same house? The mold, rodents, poor quality well water, odd lot crossing the street and now high radon? I'm with PP, I think all of these things combined might just give me pause on whether I should be buying this house.

Yes, its all the same house :( We've been looking for a home for so long that we were willing to compromise and negotiate. The realtor issues have been building up over time. She was initially flexible and eager to please but that tone has changed after our offer was accepted. I feel trapped with this though as it's so late in the game.

We're seriously thinking of walking away ...but just so stressed. We've put so much time, money and energy onthis.

Thanks everyone for listening and your support.

mikala
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
We're seriously thinking of walking away ...but just so stressed. We've put so much time, money and energy onthis.

I've been in a similar place and have to tell you to listen to your gut. It feels like a lot of money and energy invested in it but you're likely talking about a 30 year financial commitment. The money and time you've spent so far is a drop in the bucket compared to what you will deal with in the time you live there or the money you spend/lose while trying to re-sell a troubled property.

Only you know how this house really suits your lifestyle and finances but it's definitely raising lots of red flags from afar.

Binkandabee
06-06-2012, 01:37 AM
If its not the right house, or if the house has problems the seller isn't willing to mitigate, the time, money and stress you've put into it at this point is a drop in the bucket compared to what you could be talking long term.

I haven't seen the house, nor do I know your circumstances, but as an outsider, you have certainly posted a lot of what I think of as potentially serious problems with this house. All of them are likely fixable, but if that expense is going to be left up to you, the price of the house should reflect those costs, IMO.

daisyd
06-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks everyone, it has certainly helped to get an objective opinion and I do agree that being saddled with a host of problems long term is more serious than what we've invested so far. We're yet to hear back about the seller's response but we have a sense of where we need to go with this now.

mom2binsd
06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, there are so many red flags on this one! What if for some reason you had to sell this house???? I think the strange lot configuration alone would be a huge issue.

I know so many people who are so glad they walked away from a house that was sending fewer red flags than this one, and your realtor is way out of line, as far as I can judge she really hasn't held up her part of the deal by not meeting her clients vs doing volunteer work.

squimp
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Your realtor doesn't sound ethical to me. I would talk with the lead agent and get switched to someone else.

And the stress you feel now is nothing like the stress of selling at a loss or worrying about your family's health at night.

MamaMolly
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
And the stress you feel now is nothing like the stress of selling at a loss or worrying about your family's health at night.

This is great advice. Maybe think of this in a more emotionless way, write out a list of pros and cons and see what that will show you. How would you advise a dear friend in this situation?

What ever you guys decide, I hope it works out. :)