PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip movers?

kbud
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
We are moving locally today. We have hired 3 movers to move the furniture, dh did the rest. How much do you usually tip each? Of course depending on how well they do. They are doing awesome now. Is $20 each too little or about right? I only have $20s on my now so it's either $20 or $40 each. Thanks!

blisstwins
06-05-2012, 10:00 AM
How long will the job take? What is the total cost of the job? Are the working for themselves or are they employees of a larger company?

Mermanaid
06-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I had a friend who just did the same type of move over Memorial Day. It took the movers 3 hours and she tipped $20 each, put into each of the movers hands.

Oh, and isn't it nice to not have to move the big stuff??! GL with the move.

roseyloxs
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
You're supposed to tip movers? I had no idea.
Other military folks... do you tip your movers? I always give them lunch and drinks but it never even occurred to me to tip. Maybe because I don't pay the bill?

arivecchi
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
We usually tip about $35-$40 per mover plus lunch and drinks. We do huge moves though. We had two trucks and 8 men for our last move.

kbud
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I've always tipped them if they do a good job. The job is about 5-6 hours. They work for a private, local moving company.

I read on-line the industry standard is 5% total. So I think $20 each would be about right.

Someone let me know if that seems way off.

Thanks!

Yes, it's great having someone do it. Especially since I broke my ankle 7 weeks ago and am on crutches;)

kbud
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
We usually tip about $35-$40 per mover plus lunch and drinks. We do huge moves though. We had two trucks and 8 men for our last move.

That's good to know. I wish I had some smaller bills. Wow, that's a lot of stuff!

brittone2
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
During our last move, we tipped the packers, then we tipped the crew half of their tip after they packed the truck, and the 2nd half of their tip came after we arrived at our destination (out of state move). It was a few hundred in total...maybe 300 divided by 6 guys? We also had food for them-donuts, bagels, coffee in the morning and then we picked up lunch for them when we moved out and the day we moved in.

It was a paid corporate move but we tipped out of our own pocket.

Twoboos
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM

This was our last move, too, but we had 4 guys. (I have NO CLUE how we got so much stuff - and we got rid of a lot, that's the scary thing.)

Anyway, we tipped each guy $60. DH tipped the lead guy first and he was like, "OK, so we should split this?" and DH told him no, they were all getting tipped. They were thrilled. We didn't do lunch or breakfast though. So we tipped them a little more.

AngB
06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
You're supposed to tip movers? I had no idea.
Other military folks... do you tip your movers? I always give them lunch and drinks but it never even occurred to me to tip. Maybe because I don't pay the bill?

No longer military, but we never tipped. 2 of our moves were to remotes with weight limits and only took them an hour or two to pack (no furniture), so we didn't really do anything for that. When we moved with furniture and everything, I did order pizza for them for day 1 and something else day 2, which I think is more typical for military moves.

OP

I think 20 each is fine.

mommylamb
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I've always tipped movers about $40 each. It's just such hard work!

KrisM
06-05-2012, 12:31 PM
It's been 7 years, but we moved local and I had everything very well organized and boxed when they came. They moved boxes and 70% of our furniture. (the rest stayed to stage the house) They told me we had one of the best organized moves ever because of the boxes organized by size, labeled on 4 sides, in rows in the garage and family room :ROTFLMAO:. Anyhow, it took 3 guys about 5 hours total, to make 2 trips of 1.5 miles each way. They had given the bigger trucks out and brought a smaller one knowing it was a very short trip. I tiped $30/mover then.

longtallsally05
06-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Military here. We've never tipped and our pack outs are a two day job (packing + loading). We provide bottled water, ice tea, orange juice, doughnuts, and pizza (+ napkins, paper plates & disposable cups). On the receiving end, we usually just provide water, tea & juice because we're barely one step ahead of the delivery truck.

roseyloxs
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
No longer military, but we never tipped. 2 of our moves were to remotes with weight limits and only took them an hour or two to pack (no furniture), so we didn't really do anything for that. When we moved with furniture and everything, I did order pizza for them for day 1 and something else day 2, which I think is more typical for military moves.
]

Military here. We've never tipped and our pack outs are a two day job (packing + loading). We provide bottled water, ice tea, orange juice, doughnuts, and pizza (+ napkins, paper plates & disposable cups). On the receiving end, we usually just provide water, tea & juice because we're barely one step ahead of the delivery truck.

Phew! Glad I wasn't the only one. I have no idea how much those moves even cost so I have no idea what 5% would even be. The tipping norms are good to know though since I am too spoiled now, don't think I'll ever be able to do without movers now.

kbud
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I went with $40 each. They were just awesome. Their hard work saved us $ so I figured I'd give it back to them. I've had good moving experiences before but this company and these guys blew me away. They even give a rose to you at the end as their personal touch!